Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

TV screen/ monitor with tripod to ST-16

Reaction score
I've tried searching this entire forum with no results.

I'm trying to find if anyone has a tripod with a TV or some kind of monitor attached to it, to where you can use the HDMI port on the ST-16 to show a live output while flying. Something like this:

Flat Panel TV Tripod Portable Foldable TV Stand with Mount for 32"-55" TVs | eBay

My question are: if you have something like this how are you powering the TV/monitor? What TV or monitor did you go with? What tripod or stand did you purchase?

I plan on using this setup for search and rescue missions through work. There was someone on Instagram that had a setup like I'm wanting to do but they never responded to me...

Reactions: KellyR
There is this thread...

HDMI Capture Device Setup

When choosing a size of monitor (and subsequently the size tripod to mount it on), consider that despite the camera's resolution of 4K, you are limited to the HDMI output, which matches the native resolution of the ST-16 controller... 1280x720.

Also know that whatever monitor size you choose, you'll have to custom build some sort of sunshade for it.

Reactions: Sully53 and KellyR
Pro-am use to make shades or still do? Various sizes come up with Google, there popular for photo editing guys, with all the calibrated screen etc, myself included.

I’m using My Ipad and the app CGO, with that I can monitoring what the camera see.

Oh right - I was unaware you could be connected to the controller AND connected to the app at the same time ! I have an ipad I shall shortly deploy in much the same way as you do yours ! Thanks for the heads up...

In this regard, someone would know a smartphone or tablet that could receive live images of the CGO3 + without latency?

I’m using My Ipad and the app CGO, with that I can monitoring what the camera see.

Does the app have to have WiFi in order to work or connect with the ST-16? Or do you have the iPad plugged into the ST-16?

There is this thread...

HDMI Capture Device Setup

When choosing a size of monitor (and subsequently the size tripod to mount it on), consider that despite the camera's resolution of 4K, you are limited to the HDMI output, which matches the native resolution of the ST-16 controller... 1280x720.

Also know that whatever monitor size you choose, you'll have to custom build some sort of sunshade for it.

Okay. Yeah I figured I’d have to make my own sun shade for it. I’m thinking anywhere from a 7-15 inch screen would be decent? A bigger screen would be better but lugging it around would be no fun!

Okay. Yeah I figured I’d have to make my own sun shade for it. I’m thinking anywhere from a 7-15 inch screen would be decent? A bigger screen would be better but lugging it around would be no fun!

Does the app have to have WiFi in order to work or connect with the ST-16? Or do you have the iPad plugged into the ST-16?
The Ipad connect via Wi-Fi to the camera and not to the ST16.
I also have a sunshade from pgytech that can be ordered in three different sizes. I have the large L200 to My IPad Pro 9,7.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Feelworld 10.1" monitor which came with a shade on a photo tripod with HDMI cable between the monitor and the ST16. It works well for me.

What I have is no longer available but you should be able to find another one with a search on Amazon or some other provider..

I think something like these would work for quick deployment. For a long term search & rescue setup I would think a "command center" would be established with tents & generators where you could maybe just use something like a 32" LED TV.

Most small FPV monitors have their own internal battery. Typically they will last for an hour or two. Those that use them for long periods of time often obtain a small (800-1200mA) 3S lipo battery and rig up a connector that will fit into the monitor’s charge plug. The extra battery ups in use time by a couple hours or so.

Small 3S batteries are cheap.

I've tried searching this entire forum with no results.

I'm trying to find if anyone has a tripod with a TV or some kind of monitor attached to it, to where you can use the HDMI port on the ST-16 to show a live output while flying. Something like this:

Flat Panel TV Tripod Portable Foldable TV Stand with Mount for 32"-55" TVs | eBay

My question are: if you have something like this how are you powering the TV/monitor? What TV or monitor did you go with? What tripod or stand did you purchase?

I plan on using this setup for search and rescue missions through work. There was someone on Instagram that had a setup like I'm wanting to do but they never responded to me...
@Sully53 I use this 7" monitor on a tripod with HDMI out from the ST16. Works great for a client monitor. Make sure you also pick up a 25' HDMI cable. Any inexpensive tripod will do since it will be stationary. No need for a fluid head unless you plan to shoot ground level stuff with another camera.
Neewer 7" Monitor with Sun shade.

Reactions: Sully53
It is powered by a battery. The antennas are useless for what I do with it.

View attachment 17516
View attachment 17517

have one of those. It’s a great monitor. Much better than the 7” monitors I have. The only problem, not due to the monitor, is the video output from a CGO-3 is only 720p. That monitor can output in 1080p but because of the camera’s input, regardless of how it’s obtained, the monitor can’t live up to it’s potential when used to view live CGO-3 imagery.

have one of those. It’s a great monitor. Much better than the 7” monitors I have. The only problem, not due to the monitor, is the video output from a CGO-3 is only 720p. That monitor can output in 1080p but because of the camera’s input, regardless of how it’s obtained, the monitor can’t live up to it’s potential when used to view live CGO-3 imagery.
@PatR Yep only capable of showing the source. 720P. As stated you would only want to use it for reference. 720 does not look to bad on a smaller monitor. Get any larger and it would be less than desirable.

Another issue with a low res output stream is camera focus. If using an adjustable focal length lens, adjustable focus high res camera, using a lower resolution output makes accurate focus of the lens impossible. That’s why aerial videographers pushed hard for and obtained 1080p as a minimum output years ago.

It’s one of the major deficiencies encountered by people changing lenses on their CGO-3’s. Connecting their ST-16 to a monitor leaves them trying to adjust lens focus with an image that remains “fuzzy” no matter what they do. The larger the monitor the worse it gets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval