Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H commited suicide after 2 years of great friendship

Was there any parts replaced during this 2 years? reason i ask is I have seen the yuneec recommended maintenance and do not agree with all of it, however they did mention motor replacements, battery replacements due to high use. I'm sure these little electric motors dont last forever. brushed or brushless.. Did you do any of this?

Manufacturer Part
Recommended Replacement Interval
This is recommended -- NOT LAW -- each operator will have a different experience do to many variables with flight conditions.
20 Flights
Propellers
100 Flights
Landing pads/feet
200 Flights
Replace batteries every 200-250 cycles.
400 Flights
Replace motors
Replace landing gear actuators
Replace motor arm lock/catch
Replace RealSense internal cooling fan
Replace ST16S Ground Station cooling fan
Replace ST16S Ground Station battery
TBO (Time Between Overhaul)
500 hours of operation, at an Authorized Yuneec repair station. Users may choose to set a more conservative TBO.
Fix em when they break crash sound funny look bad smell funny or don't do anything but sit there and look stupid at you. Keith

Thank you guys for replies.

Does the battery appear to be in good condition? Any evidence of battery failure?
The battery drain could possibly result from loss of a single prop blade. Were the props OEM Yuneec Blades?
Given the location and time of year, any evidence or possibility of a bird strike?

Good question, battery is replacement one but even today it's still have 14.5V and i can run all 6 motors and camera with it (didn't charged after crash). Never had issue with this battery.
I don't count charge cycles but it's far away from being used or damaged.

Props also replacement ones, never failed, even at +1000m AGL very heavy wind and cold weather. During winter time (-10*C, my "coldest" flights) i've lost one in the air but easily landed on 5 motors.

Bird strike not possible, this area is dominated by big predator birds so there is no small birds, and i was close enough to clearly see aircraft exact position and orientation.
After crash it's hard to tell if there was any physical damage to props or body.

Was there any parts replaced during this 2 years?

I've used 3 sets of props during this 2 year adventure. No other parts replaced, both batteries can do 18-22 minutes of flight.

Reactions: Pagan
Quite a bit of damage, like you say if you can get one on eBay, then it's worth it, the cost of parts is going to be a lot.

Yes, i'm collecting money to buy new H.
I can buy arms with motors, covers and landing gear pretty cheap but there is no main frame available in europe.
I choose to buy new aircraft and then i'll have spare parts and second ST16 to fly in team mode.

Reactions: Pagan
Yes, i'm collecting money to buy new H.
I can buy arms with motors, covers and landing gear pretty cheap but there is no main frame available in europe.
I choose to buy new aircraft and then i'll have spare parts and second ST16 to fly in team mode.

What is the difference between A and B type arm? I don't see any difference.
Can i use Typhoon H Pro arms instead of H480 arms?
Looks exactly the same.

The Typhoon H Pro is an H480. In North America the Pro package included the RealSense module. Anyway the Typhoon H with and without the RealSense module is an H480. The H Plus, H520, and now the H3 are all of the ‘520mm’ size.

The arms are the same, the difference is in the propeller hub. You can make an arm an A or B just by changing the hub and having it mounted at the proper position on the airframe.

Reactions: howfastyes
Just received new bird with CGO3+ and ST16 (2 antena version), original battery and props, all for 330EUR. Dead boy will be repaired soon when some cheap parts pops in my country :) I need 3 arms, top cover and props.

Next i want to upgrade charger and buy 1 maybe 2 batteries.

1. Should i look for Yuneec or replacement battery?
2. What's the best price/quality charger for those batteries?

I know I am a bit late to this discussion but I may be able to help you with the repairs. If you can PM me with some pictures of the broken drone I will look to see what I have. I can seel the parts to you cheaper than you can find them on sites like eBay. I have in stock-

3 Mainboards
4 Flight controllers
9 Arms with motors and LED lights
3 Internal frames with battery tray
2 GPS modules
4 Receivers
2 Landing gear receiver (electrical parts)
1 Pair of landing gear w/o servos

And much more. I am not selling everything but I may be willing to help you out.

1. Should i look for Yuneec or replacement battery?
I have Yuneec brand batteries and aftermarket. I personally prefer the aftermarket batteries. They are much lighter than the Yuneec battery. I don't suggest using the original Yuneec charger if you go with aftermarket batteries as it won't balance the non Yuneec battery. You can pick up a decent aftermarket charger and connector to charge them. Always remember to store your batteries at half charge. I have found that storing lipo batteries at a full rate will reduce their lifespan quickly.

Quite a bit of damage, like you say if you can get one on eBay, then it's worth it, the cost of parts is going to be a lot.

After this crash i've managed to buy used H480 with CGO3+ and ST16 for 320 euro, left crashed one for parts.

Few days ago i got lucky and bought all needed parts for 70 euro. 2 arms with motos, 1 landing gear, top cover and set of hooks for arms.

3rd arm rebuild from replaced ones, broken frame repaired with epoxy, camera didn't took any damage so bird is complete and working.

Now i want to talk about old issue, it was long time before crash, i think there is no need for new topic.

Issue with CGO3+ camera, long time before crash.

Almost 2 years ago i've tried to plug in camera when aircraft was powered on, somehow i've burned fuse, so camera won't turn on anymore.
Send on warranty to Yuneec Germany and they kindly repaired it for free.
After few days i've noticed problem with camera Yaw/Pan spin - it was not smooth, i can notice this issue only watching SD video in high quality, it's hard to see on tranmission video.
Camera was slowing down and speeding up, very small change but visible and every 360 spin shots is ruined and usless.

So again, send it to Yuneec with very detailed description of issue, month later they send it back with message: "Issue NOT FOUND".
F***!

So now after crash and after warranty is over i took the camera apart from the top and found what is causing the issue.
It's not ST16, it's not bad signal, not the aircraft - it's the camera Yaw motor.

Magnets on the yaw motor are very strong! Much stronger then motors for example.
My camera is not spinning freely when power off but skips from magnet to magnet like a clock. Do you guys understand me?
You can feel every step on fingers when holding camera in hand, it's about 12 steps and it looks like there is 12 magnets inside yaw motor.

If i set Pan knob on ST16 for very little movement, camera will make 30 degree and it will stop, it has no power to jump around first magnet.
When i set Pan knob to medium speed 360 spin, camera will slow down every 30 degree and speed up after passing magnet, so full 360 spin will look choppy, camera will slow down 12 times during full spin.

I know i won't be able to calibrate new Yaw motor if i replace it :(
Now i know they replaced fuse or main board but no replace for Yaw motor which took reverse voltage and magnets got very strong (it's possible).

I can weaken the magnets by heating them to 500* celcius or applying neodymium magnet to them - i think both will destroy motor itself :)

Any ideas?

howfastyes
I HAD ABOUT THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY H PRO. I’M PRETTY SURE IT WAS A BATTERY FAILURE. IT HAPPEND REALLY FAST, LIKE HOLY CRAP FAST. I'M SORRY FOR YOUR CRASH.. I JUST GOT MY MAIN FRAME IN TODAY.. THE REST OF MY PARTS ARE SOON TO FOLLOW.. DONT GIVE UP.. I WAS CONTEMPLATING GIVING UP AS WELL.. BUT ITS WAY TOO MUCH FUN. ITS KILLING ME THAT I CANT FLY.. AND I CANT WAIT TO HIT THE SKY'S AGAIN..PLUS NOW I KNOW A LITTLE MORE ABOUT MY DRONE.
STICK WITH IT.

What setting are the best for 5400mAh 4S battery? Custom pack with custom charger, charge at 1C recommended / 2C max.

Edit: 5.4A = 1C

Any advice before flying new pack for first time?

Last edited:
I would balance charge first,paying close attention to cells in relation to one another,as they balance,hopefully when balance is done all cells will be same voltage within a short time frame. Keith C.

if 5400 mah battery,then we all agree to charge at 2.5 or thereabout. A fast charge at 5.4a would should be max. I like to charge slower. When I balance,charger does a reducing amp curve. Near the end of balance it is usually at .6 or .8 a. for finishing. I did a first flight last night with 2 3yr. old batteries.Got 14.6 minutes with 1 and 16 minutes with second,flew fast with gps off on second flight. I was amazed. I left charger on till it was done for sure. 4.2 volts per cell and it never went higher but stayed charging,balancing for about an extra 10 minutes. Very low am't of mah went in to battery but I waited fans on charger even shut off but no heat so that was o.k. Finally it shut off. The wait gave me extra time. By the way I was a little leary as I live in the woods and do a lot of short flights here,just up down and around. Last night I went a few miles down the road to a very large farm,open fields no mag interference etc. I took h pro up,up and away. Nothing crazy but gps and flash purple then purple with the white to indicate total good gps signal happened within 30 seconds after I fired it up.I just moved my gps to external and put a tin plate behind my antennaes,got that from captain drone Idea. A BROWNIE TIN from wifes kitchen. Signals never faltered. I'm not real gutsy but need to go out 1600 feet soon when I go to the pier in Manistee Mi. Both my flights were flawless and tons of fun. I am so happy.So be careful,read your extended manual,make a small flight list and put your faith ,under your hat and hope you can fly trouble freeand be as happy as I am right now. Keith C.

Thanks for info.
Battery came from China at 15.6V
I've set 3A balance charge, charging for 60 minutes and current dropped to 0.6A, voltage is 16.76V and charger is balancing the cells (0.02V max difference) 4.17V - 4.19V

It's almost done, i'll make a test flight later today.

Edit: Finished after 90 minutes, current at the end was 0 - 0.1A and every cell is 4.20V right now. Goin' airborn soon.

Edit2:
This battery is trash, after 10 minutes i've got 1st battery warning.
30 seconds after takeoff voltage drops to 16.2V, next minute is 15.8V and so on...

Do not order this ****, i'm going for money back, got 2 birds and 0 batteries :(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval