Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Crash Impact Damage - Yuneec did a good job - Impressive!

Follow up for those interested..
I just ordered the black mounting plate in CaptainDrone's photo #4 from Yuneec
Cost was $4.95 ea and includes the four dampeners....
I ordered two just because there where inexpensive and "just in case" !
Shipping was $25.00 CA to NY
They said to call tech support when I get ready to replace it and they will walk me through the installation.
I did not ask for warranty because I didn't think it was worth it.
I'll update when I get the parts...hopefully by the weekend

I crashed mine today, it was totally my fault. She hit my 6ft privacy fence pretty hard and I saw black pieces flying everywhere...it was loud. Ran over to it only to find that three props were broken. No scratches, no damage to the gimbal or camera....NOTHING !!!!! I could not believe it. Replaced the props cranked her back up checked all the functions on it and flew her like nothing. This is definitely a very well built machine. I am so glad I went with Yuneec !!!!

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
Lucky man ! Glad it only splintered the props !;) One time you should have had Obstacle Avoidance "ON" !

Yeah, ! I never use it, but then I am out in the middle of BFE, and have nothing to run into at the height I fly, (Excepts Birds!) LOL :)

With all of these apparent "break-away" pieces, any chance of ordering these common parts to have readily available? Ive done this with my other birds. It sure saves time and anxiety.

Go on eBay and see if anyone is parting out a TH . Sorry you crashed. Fly safe.

Right now my emergency spare parts / future crash repair kit consists of the following:

Spare props (had 6 spare... recently pick up a 2nd H from a member... now have 18 spare props... I'm good for awhile.)
Spare landing strut
Spare gimbal mounts... both the rail set on the body of the H, and the mount on the CGO3, with dampeners and pins)
Spare propeller locks... 2 each for A & B

Not counting the extra spare props sent with the second bird, less than $100 total. At the time it happens, better than
waiting a week on shipping.

Last edited:
I must say I love my H but Yuneecs service is not what I had hoped for.

I flew my H on new years eve to shoot some nice video of the fireworks. 3 minutes into the first flight I got a level 1 battery warning at a low altitude so I started landing, wondering if I maybe charged the battery wrong.
I quickly changed the battery and took of for flight 2.
Again after 3 minutes I got the same warning, this time at a higher altitude so I immediately started descending to land suspecting something was wrong. The whole way down I got battery warnings non stop. About 30 meters above the ground the typhoon H just lost power and lift and dropped down to the ground rapidly untill it smashed on the lawn breaking of the CGO3+ gimbal and bouncing up toward my wife and 3 year old daughter, luckily she dove out of the way. The copter hit a wall and shattered 4 props and broke a landing leg on the aluminum hinge part. I quickly disarmed to stop the shattered blades from spinning and causing injury.

In total the damage isn't so bad:
- Broken landing leg servo
- 4 broken props
- Antenna bracket broken
- Vertical gimbal arm is bent (but repairable)
- camera housing is cracked (not severely)

But the cause is obvious to me, a malfunction.
Yuneec says it's my own fault because I ignored the battery warnings. This is total nonsense since there was not even a chance to land it safely since the batteries drained so rapidly.

The outside temperature that day was 2 degrees celcius. Yuneec claims the cause of the fast drainage was the cold temperature but the whole week before that it was about the same temperature or even colder and my flighttimes were all over 15 minutes per battery.

Also the logs show all the warnings and the drainage in a very rapid order.
Yuneec even claims that a warning was given before take off but this is nowhere to be found in the log.

I've been mailing them since january first and every time that I have sent them an email I have to mail them again at the end of the week to get a response. Very frustrating.
I read everywhere that Yuneec has great customer sevice but I definately had a different experience.

Nothing to complain about the H itself though. It is a fantastic platform. If I had to choose again which drone I would buy it would definately be the Typhoon H. I love the way it flies and handles and the camera is just amazing. I love the true colors that it shoots and the sharpness of the image.
Also the features it has like the flight modes and camera settings are fantastic.
The remote is awesome as well, It's really comfortable to handle and the integrated tablet is a big plus with it's big screen and easy accesible features.

image2(2).JPG IMG_1783.JPG

With all of these apparent "break-away" pieces, any chance of ordering these common parts to have readily available? Ive done this with my other birds. It sure saves time and anxiety.
I ordered repair parts from VertigoDrones.com. They have a large selection of TH parts and prompt shipping.

PHOTO #4: OK... This was SUPER SMART on Yuneec's part. If you are a DJI Phantom owner you'll know that almost any crash will cause your gimbal to become damaged with a high replacement/repair cost (in the hundreds $$$). The reason for this is because the gimbal/camera on a PHANTOM is held securely in place so it takes all the impact. What Yuneec did was they created the removable camera held in place by a thin breakaway piece of plastic. Have a look at the two photos. In the first photo is the portion of the gimbal that connects to the bottom of the Typhoon H. The other piece it connects to is shown in the second photo (they slide into each other). Both pieces are removable and probably really inexpensive. They seem to be designed to snap apart upon impact thus saving your camera. MY CAMERA and 360 Gimbal STILL WORK!View attachment 663 View attachment 664

Yes, the breakaway mounting rail is a good idea and relatively cheap and easy to replace. I was not so fortunate on a hard "arrival" and the camera/gimbal pulled wires out of the slipring assembly. Yuneec fixed that for me for a reasonable fee (incident was my fault). The main body and electronics of the TH has remained bullet proof.

Reactions: Rayray
Crow,

Just how cold was it when you had your incident? What were the actual battery voltages when you plugged them in to fly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the temperature of the batteries at time of take off?

First one must have been just below room temperature. It came from the charger which had finished charging about 30 minutes before inserting it into the Typhoon.
Second battery had been charged before the other one and had been in my coat pocket while I was flying the first battery so that must have been around 15 degrees C.

I put in an RMA request yesterday and received confirmation this morning. Just mailed the Typhoon to Yuneec Europe. I wonder what they'll do to resolve the problem.

PHOTO #4: OK... This was SUPER SMART on Yuneec's part. If you are a DJI Phantom owner you'll know that almost any crash will cause your gimbal to become damaged with a high replacement/repair cost (in the hundreds $$$). The reason for this is because the gimbal/camera on a PHANTOM is held securely in place so it takes all the impact. What Yuneec did was they created the removable camera held in place by a thin breakaway piece of plastic. Have a look at the two photos. In the first photo is the portion of the gimbal that connects to the bottom of the Typhoon H. The other piece it connects to is shown in the second photo (they slide into each other). Both pieces are removable and probably really inexpensive. They seem to be designed to snap apart upon impact thus saving your camera. MY CAMERA and 360 Gimbal STILL WORK!View attachment 663 View attachment 664

Gimbal repair kits are very cheap, and yes the camera is designed as a break away intentionally. This way you only have to replace the gimbal connectors, and any rubber grommets you might have lost, and you save your camera. I think the kit is just $20. I bought one just to have some spare parts in case such a incident occurs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval