Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon h not binding to st16

Reaction score
I've been hired by a local photographer to setup his typhoon h and teach him how to fly it. I have no experience with any yuneec products, and looking through the instruction videos and doing what they say I can't find any way to bind the thing.

I turn on the controller, turn on the drone and do the tilting, go to the bind screen of the typhoon h model and the only thing there is the camera witch only works half the time anyways.

Any idea how to bind the drone or get the camera to work 100% of the time?

If you are following the instructions, then I would take a guess there is a problem with the system. Attachment 35 (Typhoon H Binding Verification) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project is a step by step approach to finding the issue. It is important NOT to skip any steps, even if you are sure you don't need to perform it. After the initial sequence that establishes the required conditions for the verifications, the sequence will fall into a pattern of telling you to take an action, followed by a step to verify the expected result. When you reach a step that does not match it's verification (or you are not sure), DO NOT CONTINUE. Post the step number, and what you saw to this thread. We then have a good basis for diagnosing the issue.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I tried 3 times on this step and same result of no receiver ID showing
That narrows if down quite a bit. The most common cause is the "5.8" WIFI module is not working. That happens a lot if someone turned on the controller without the antennas connected and properly tightened.
But there are some things you can check before ordering a new Module:
1.) Check the mushroom shaped antenna to ensure it is screwed on correctly.
2.) Check the antenna wire connector on the module.
3.) Check the module connectors to ensure they are clean and correctly inserted. See the image below.

Note the term "5.8" is commonly used, but this module also serves the 2.4 Ghz connection to your home WIFI. You can check the WIFI in Pad/settings/WiFi to see if any 5.8 or 2.4 Ghz signals are showing up. Not real conclusive, but if nothing is there, it's a pretty good hint the module is dead.

If the module needs replacing, I would recommend this one from @Yuneec Skins:

Module.jpg

That narrows if down quite a bit. The most common cause is the "5.8" WIFI module is not working. That happens a lot if someone turned on the controller without the antennas connected and properly tightened.
But there are some things you can check before ordering a new Module:
1.) Check the mushroom shaped antenna to ensure it is screwed on correctly.
2.) Check the antenna wire connector on the module.
3.) Check the module connectors to ensure they are clean and correctly inserted. See the image below.

Note the term "5.8" is commonly used, but this module also serves the 2.4 Ghz connection to your home WIFI. You can check the WIFI in Pad/settings/WiFi to see if any 5.8 or 2.4 Ghz signals are showing up. Not real conclusive, but if nothing is there, it's a pretty good hint the module is dead.

If the module needs replacing, I would recommend this one from @Yuneec Skins:

View attachment 25679
I've actually already connected the st16 to my home wifi because there was no pdf reader installed and wifi works fine.

I know my way arround most drones as I've been flying for 3 years, and as an fpv pilot I have been burned by burning out a vtx before. Anything else that could be causing the problems then?

I've actually already connected the st16 to my home wifi because there was no pdf reader installed and wifi works fine.

I know my way arround most drones as I've been flying for 3 years, and as an fpv pilot I have been burned by burning out a vtx before. Anything else that could be causing the problems then?
There are almost always other explanations.
In this case, the big one is "My Bad". I gave you a great answer for Video WiFi issues, not for the Control WiFi issues you are actually having.
The Control WiFi is 2.4 Ghz, but it is a different module than the one that connects to your home WiFi. The Control WIFI is the SR24 module sticky taped to the main (Flight Control) module in your controller. Check this drawing for locations of the various antennas. The red box is the control WiFi. You can also see it in the pic above, it's just not marked.

Control WIFI Module.jpg

And yes, there are even more explanations, with descending probability of any one being the real issue.

Last edited:
I found some time to open up the st16 and looked at connections and everything and it all looks solid.

I also grabbed a picture, you can tell me if I missed anything.

Attachments

• 20210510_174707.jpg
    20210510_174707.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
Hmm. That was not expected.
You mentioned "because there was no pdf reader installed" in an earlier post. Did you install ANY aftermarket APPS to the controller?

Hmm. That was not expected.
You mentioned "because there was no pdf reader installed" in an earlier post. Did you install ANY aftermarket APPS to the controller?
No, app store kept crashing so I gave up. I was trying to install it so I could explain how to use the drone easier and not have to print the instructions out.

App store is not working on ST16 and this is good.
I have installed a PDF reader on each ST16 that I have. Download the APK file, upload it via USB to the ST16 and install it by clicking on it in Pad mode.
> Don't let 3rd party apps running in the background while flying! Apps are often contaminated with advertising. Also Acrobat reader is overweighted.

br HE

@WTFDproject you mentioned in a previous post "And yes, there are even more explanations, with descending probability of any one being the real issue" is there a list containing these explanations? If so is it possible you post a link so I can run through them?

Most of the options involve swapping parts, or different combinations of drone/controller.

Do you have another Typhoon H and ST16 available to try binding to another drone/ST16 combination? If so, it would be a good tool to firmly identify which is the problem.

If not, the next thing you can at least try is a "Factory Reset" of the ST16. That will clear out the existing models and some hope it will remove any existing APP conflicts.

The next easiest option would be to reload the ST16 firmware.

After that, it becomes a task of changing out hardware until you find the problem. If you don't have spares around, that would probably get too expensive to be practical. Especially since you don't have a 100% "smoking gun" to determine if the issue is in the drone or in the controller. You may need to send the kit off for diagnostics if it comes to that.

Do you have any history of the drone. How long has the current owner had it? Where did he get it, does it have a warranty, etc.

Most of the options involve swapping parts, or different combinations of drone/controller.

Do you have another Typhoon H and ST16 available to try binding to another drone/ST16 combination? If so, it would be a good tool to firmly identify which is the problem.

If not, the next thing you can at least try is a "Factory Reset" of the ST16. That will clear out the existing models and some hope it will remove any existing APP conflicts.

The next easiest option would be to reload the ST16 firmware.

After that, it becomes a task of changing out hardware until you find the problem. If you don't have spares around, that would probably get too expensive to be practical. Especially since you don't have a 100% "smoking gun" to determine if the issue is in the drone or in the controller. You may need to send the kit off for diagnostics if it comes to that.

Do you have any history of the drone. How long has the current owner had it? Where did he get it, does it have a warranty, etc.
The current owner bought it in 2019 from Best Buy and has been holding onto it until recently so the default 1 year warranty has expired. I got it on Sunday and like I said have no experience with any Yuneec product, Typhoon H included. I don't have any other drone that can bind to the st16 on hand so I'll see how Factory reseting it works, then try reinstalling the firmware. After that I'll just talk to the owner about sending it off for diagnostics and he'll just have to deal with whatever costs come with that. But since neither the transmitter or receiver modules were visibly dead I'm going to guess and hope that there's something up with the software.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval