Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

TYPHOON H PLUS Battery and Charging solution:

Leads are beneficial, they allow connection to chargers and balance leads to maintence the condition of the batteries better. A 3rd party charger also allows greater flexibility in application of the charge & discharge.

I purchased 3 3D printed leads from @SkyVidTek and they are excellent. While that purchase was formulating, I had also tried to purchase from 3 UK vendors... and later 1 replied and very willing to sell to USA... so purchased 3 from UK Shop too... again excellent product.

For a small amount of $$, the leads provide a nice long term benefit. Personally, I've never liked plastic wells in bulky OEM chargers... perfer leads I can push on. Just a preference.

Reactions: PaulEden
Leads are beneficial, they allow connection to chargers and balance leads to maintence the condition of the batteries better. A 3rd party charger also allows greater flexibility in application of the charge & discharge.

I purchased 3 3D printed leads from @SkyVidTek and they are excellent. While that purchase was formulating, I had also tried to purchase from 3 UK vendors... and later 1 replied and very willing to sell to USA... so purchased 3 from UK Shop too... again excellent product.

For a small amount of $$, the leads provide a nice long term benefit. Personally, I've never liked plastic wells in bulky OEM chargers... perfer leads I can push on. Just a preference.
Which UK shop did you use?

Which UK shop did you use?
It ended up that 2 Shops were willing to sell to USA.
The one I received from was Kopterdreams @ 17EUR each.

A few days later, another shop replied that they now would send to USA.
AeroMind @ 17EUR each

Reactions: PaulEden

I have 4 Retail LiHV H520 Leads in package and 4 Leads made 3D Printer by @SkyVidTek.
I've used the 3D Printer leads and they work great!

I'll list Retail Leads in Classified if any interest.

Quick Update after obtaining the LiHV H520 Leads, which work great!

I purchased a lightly used H520 kit 18-20 months back and didn't experiment with it much for a several months. Later examining the kit, 1 of the 3 batteries (Yuneec H520 OEM) wouldn't charge. It would fail instantly on OEM Charger and a few others I tried. I placed it aside for the time being due to not having LiHV charge leads.

After receiving @SkyVidTek 3D Leads...
Using an iCharger 406DUO with a Server PS, the failed battery showed essentially a dead cell at 2.30 volts. 2 Cells were in the 3.0 range, and 3rd 2.8v. So overall the battery was probably placed into case expended and the long storage time depleted it further to the point of a normally considered - Bad NonUseable battery.

The 406Duo has the ability to inject extremely low trickle charge. I tried that with multiple fails due imbalance below 3v, but between each failure it would trickle a little charge. It'll also perform a Balance cycle, it too would eventually fail due to the cell being too low.
But cycling between small charge injections and balance cycles, over 12-16 cycles slowly got the low cell up to 3v. Increased amp to .3C and .6C and performed multiple balance charge cycles until low cell crawled up to 3.1v and others were 3.3-3.4. Bumped charge up 1C with a Balance Charge and was impressed the dead cell fully charged to capacity. Performed one Storage charge set to 3.8v and recharged at 1C to capacity.

Placed in H520, flew the battery to 22%, Cooled, recharged / balance to capacity and flew it to 18%.
No issues and stable... performed a Storage charge @ 3.8v and IR was pretty even in the 4-6R range.

Having LiHV leads, also showed the so-called 2-Good batteries also needed a few ChargeBal / Discharge cycles to condition them a bit better.

Conclusions...
The LiHV leads are essential to properly maintain the LiHV H520 Batteries.
Reconditioned a failed battery back to usable life.

This Charge station was configured for my Tattu Plus 22000mAh batteries for a modified S1000. But works great for multiple batteries.

iCharger 406 DUO

900W 75A Server PW converted to Charger - slim & stable current.

Charging Stand - 3D Printed - Holds iCharger over PS unit in a compact fashion.

Can you charge H+ batteries as LiPO or do they have to be charged as LiHV?

From what I gather, LiHV do not last as long as LiPO due to the higher voltage.

Any thoughts / experience in this arena?

You can charge them as Lipo but they will only charge to 4.2 volts per cell (16.8v total). Full charge on the LiHV batteries is 4.35v per cell (17.4v total).
It's possible the life of the battery might be extended by reducing the max charge voltage but I've never seen any testing to verify this.

You can charge them as Lipo but they will only charge to 4.2 volts per cell (16.8v total). Full charge on the LiHV batteries is 4.35v per cell (17.4v total).
It's possible the life of the battery might be extended by reducing the max charge voltage but I've never seen any testing to verify this.
Thanks.

Is it accurate to say that the Typhoon H + batteries will not last as long as the Typhoon H batteries in terms of number of discharge cycles?

The above link goes to an article where someone is comparing a different set of LiHV to LiPO batteries (not Yuneec) and they say:

"After some use of these HVLi, they seem to have pretty short life cycle: after about 30-40 discharge cycles, the cells are starting to swell, and they don’t hold full charge anymore. They get really hot after a fast session. Normally for a decent standard LiPo they should hold up 300+ cycles."

I'm just trying to understand if that's literally all that we're expecting out of a Typhoon H + battery--some 30-40 discharge cycles? Sounds nuts, but I want to just clarify, and I wanted to clarify if there is any difference in charging them as Lipos at 4.2 V/cell or as LiHV.

Thanks.

Is it accurate to say that the Typhoon H + batteries will not last as long as the Typhoon H batteries in terms of number of discharge cycles?

The above link goes to an article where someone is comparing a different set of LiHV to LiPO batteries (not Yuneec) and they say:

"After some use of these HVLi, they seem to have pretty short life cycle: after about 30-40 discharge cycles, the cells are starting to swell, and they don’t hold full charge anymore. They get really hot after a fast session. Normally for a decent standard LiPo they should hold up 300+ cycles."

I'm just trying to understand if that's literally all that we're expecting out of a Typhoon H + battery--some 30-40 discharge cycles? Sounds nuts, but I want to just clarify, and I wanted to clarify if there is any difference in charging them as Lipos at 4.2 V/cell or as LiHV.
You have to understand that Oscar’s site is geared toward FPV racers. They tend to charge their batteries at the fastest rate possible, and discharge them even faster. The aircraft the batteries are used in could be used as a stress test bed for lithium polymer batteries.

You will find that the H+ batteries do not last as long as those for the H480, but the H+ also has better flight characteristics than the H480.

BTW you can use H+ batteries in the H480, and vice versa. You just can’t rely on the low battery warning.

I’ll expound a bit when I return from golf.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval