Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Plus

I wish! My emergency rig, a 10-year old iMac, won't even open a 4k video file…or to be precise, it will open in a black window and "plays" in a black window.

I don't own Apple products, but is there a video conversion program that can run on your iMac? If the program will run on your computer, it should be able downsize the file to 1080... which may then be able to be successfully play the smaller files.

My reason for asking for a few more “architectural” samples was to remove all doubt. If left alone after capturing, straight lines captured around the edges reveal everything I need to know about the lens, in RAW or JPG.

The curvature of the earth thing is, for me, a non issue as we are never high enough or far enough away with a multirotor to capture the earth’s curvature. The lens would have to have a field of view well over 20-30 miles wide

I don't own Apple products, but is there a video conversion program that can run on your iMac? If the program will run on your computer, it should be able downsize the file to 1080... which may then be able to be successfully play the smaller files.
I tried Handbrake and a couple of other conversion utilities but they either quit or froze. It has only been a temporary problem as Big Mac comes home tomorrow. You don't fully appreciate the SSD HD and the extra RAM until you have to manage without!

A 10 year old Mac, much like a 10 year old Windows machine, is too old to run a version of the operating system that is new enough to allow you to put software on it to downsize a 4K video.

I tried Handbrake and a couple of other conversion utilities but they either quit or froze. It has only been a temporary problem as Big Mac comes home tomorrow. You don't fully appreciate the SSD HD and the extra RAM until you have to manage without!

I love my 27” 5K iMac. 40 GB RAM, 8 GB VRAM, SSD, etc. I’m even finally catching on to using Final Cut Pro X 10.4.

You’ll love your new Mac.

Reactions: YuKay
A 10 year old Mac, much like a 10 year old Windows machine, is too old to run a version of the operating system that is new enough to allow you to put software on it to downsize a 4K video.

True... I was editing and viewing 1080, but not downsizing a 4K, no... I stand corrected on that part.

FPVGuy did some very good comparative tests of cameras around the time of the original Typhoon release. There were tests for dynamic range, lens distortion, resolving power and colour accuracy that I'd love to see reproduced for the new generation of cameras.

I wouldn't mind doing those tests myself, but so far no one has sent me a drone to test ;)

I love my 27” 5K iMac. 40 GB RAM, 8 GB VRAM, SSD, etc. I’m even finally catching on to using Final Cut Pro X 10.4.

You’ll love your new Mac.
I have owned lots of Macs - and nothing but Macs - for almost 30 years (starting with the Quadra 840AV) and have loved all of them. The one coming home tomorrow after a repair is a 1yr old 27" 5K 40GB RAM 8GB VRAM i5 3.8GHz beast with an aftermarket internal disk upgrade to 4TB SSD. She flies.

That does sound like a beast of a machine. Congrats. Here is another video from Europe (Hungary), looks unedited straight out of the C23 4K @ 60FPS.

Thanks for posting that.
I like how the early (or late) sunlight illuminates the castle. Here's a 4k screen grab that I tweaked a little:
C23-2.jpg

@PatR

To truly assess video quality its also often important to know the settings used during capture. Resolution and frame rate, WB, shutter speed, ISO, etc. Time of day and weather could also be factors for a critical review.

I’d like to add that critical color assessments should only be done on a calibrated monitor.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I’d like to add that critical color assessments should only be done on a calibrated monitor.

Indeed. Anyone having more than one monitor can quickly see color and sharpness shifts from one to another. Just going from laptop to monitor to TV can be quite a difference.

Oliver,

Got them both and they present pretty much the same. Much better than what I saw in the one earlier video. A request if you don't mind; Using the Plus, would it be possible to capture a few images that contain as many straight vertical and horizontal architectural subjects as possible? Preferably images that provide straight level and horizontal lines near all the edges of the image?

Despite my grousing, there are some things I like thus far about the Plus.
  • It will generate less noise than the H-480, which was already the least noisy hex on the market in it's size, and less noisy than most quads in the 350mm up to 500mm size class. *** only recently started to address their noise issues, which were significant.
  • The ability to use the H-480 battery is a very big deal. Even if providing a little less flight time than the Plus battery the 480 batteries reduce operational costs tremendously. If 12-15 minutes can be obtained using the 480 battery it would fulfill the time necessary to complete most missions. I have rigs that can do 20 minutes all day long but find most (90%+) of my flights are back on the ground by the 15 minute mark.
  • Slightly longer flight time over the H-480.
  • Increase in maximum wind component, similar to or the same as the 580.
  • The Plus is still a hex, which increases the flight safety factor significantly.
  • Yuneec gimbals have been the best in class for a very long time and I expect that attribute to hold true with the Plus. If the image horizon is slanted to one side it will be a software/calibration issue and relatively easy to remedy, not a gimbal defect.
  • The camera control interface has very much to offer and those willing to learn it will benefit greatly.
  • The view screen has been retained in the flight controller, not moved to an accessory viewing device.
Two things the Plus needs to make me happy; the most important is Cruise Control, with the second being ability to use a team mode/camera operator. You really can't have complete control of the camera when your hands are busy flying the aircraft. The imagery always suffers if you have to remain dedicated to the flight controls. I'm not the least bit concerned if the aircraft is a little twitchy like the H-480 was/is around center stick. None of that has ever transferred to the video due to the quality of the gimbal and offsetting software, and flight control has always been positive even if the aircraft was doing a little jiggle. You can't have fast control response without impacting the manner an aircraft initially responds to control input.

Time will tell us what Yuneec does.

For your information Pat I regularly get 21-24 mins flight time out of a 480 battery in my 520 and H+ which is about 2 mins longer than the LiHv’s that come with them. Granted the voltage and percentage are wrong but if I take one down to 20% I know that’s around 28% in real money

That does sound like a beast of a machine. Congrats. Here is another video from Europe (Hungary), looks unedited straight out of the C23 4K @ 60FPS.

I couldn't resist adding my 2 pence. Adobe Lightroom CC Classic 7.4 with a touch of artistic license - actual screen grab from my Mac

View media item 810

Last edited:
Don’t know if anyone noticed, but if it was landing at “home” at the end of the video it went out pretty near a mile. Perhaps a smidge more.

Reactions: rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech