Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon h pro toilet bowl

Reaction score
I have a Typhoon h pro and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions, flys fine for the first couple minutes then proceeds to toilet bowl effect, turn off gps and return it back on seems to help. I had read that if you got a new motherboard after a certain serial number break they had changed them to help with this. Was wondering if anyone knew any information or if this helps or what else could possibly be my issue thanks.

Last edited:
Toilet bowl was a well known problem for Typhoon H (not Plus) but disappeared to rare in the last years. My guess was that it it was solved or improved by firmware. But this is only a guess. I do not know about a motherboard/flight controller improvement, never heard about it.

Lately I have had a massive toilet bowl problem with my Thyphoon H due to miscalibrated compass. It disappeared after compass calibration. Maybe the compass is more involved than the IMU in this problem. However, I would calibrate both, compass and accelerometer.

Typhoon H has two different versions of GPS module. One has HMC5883 as compass chip, other have IST8310. I'm not sure which one is the older one, I believe HMC5883 equipped GPS boards are the older version. Maybe this is the change that was made to improve behaviour related to toilet bowl problem.

br HE

Last edited:
This is the first I have ever heard of TBE with an H Plus. Do you have a source for the information about boards after a certain S/N having a fix?

My suggestion would be to take it to an open grassy field and perform the compass calibration to see if that eliminates the problem.

@h-elsner posted about the same time as me in reference to an older Typhoon H and I’m wondering if you are sure you have a Typhoon H Plus? Is your camera the CGO3+ or is it the C23?

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Kent
This is the first I have ever heard of TBE with an H Plus. Do you have a source for the information about boards after a certain S/N having a fix?

My suggestion would be to take it to an open grassy field and perform the compass calibration to see if that eliminates the problem.

@h-elsner posted about the same time as me in reference to an older Typhoon H and I’m wondering if you are sure you have a Typhoon H Plus? Is your camera the CGO3+ or is it the C23?
My bad I have the Tyhpoon H pro not the plus with real sense and the CGO3+. I have read that the flight controller can cause some tb issue just was wanting to get some opinions before I go out and buy one, thank you.

Last edited:
Toilet bowl was a well known problem for Typhoon H (not Plus) but disappeared to rare in the last years. My guess was that it it was solved or improved by firmware. But this is only a guess. I do not know about a motherboard/flight controller improvement, never heard about it.

Lately I have had a massive toilet bowl problem with my Thyphoon H due to miscalibrated compass. It disappeared after compass calibration. Maybe the compass is more involved than the IMU in this problem. However, I would calibrate both, compass and accelerometer.

Typhoon H has two different versions of GPS module. One has HMC5883 as compass chip, other have IST8310. I'm not sure which one is the older one, I believe HMC5883 equipped GPS boards are the older version. Maybe this is the change that was made to improve behaviour related to toilet bowl problem.

br HE
I have the pro not the plus if that helps, thank you.

With the aircraft and camera bound to the controller go to Settings, About and get a screenshot of the firmware versions of your system. Also something to look at is if the fans for the RealSense unit are operating. It seems you may have a thermal issue happening since it takes a couple minutes for this to occur.

If replacing components I would try the GPS/Compass module first, then the F/C if getting a good compass calibration and Accelerometer calibration does not alleviate the issue.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I have repaired many H models and prior to returning them I do a test flight. I recall two occasions where the flights started out normally, but after several minutes the H became erratic, then uncontrollable. Replacing the GPS/Compass module did not have any effect. Changing the flight controller did correct the problem.

However, the TB effect can also be a result of older firmware or a bad compass calibration. If either is causing the problem, gaining altitude significantly reduces the problem. Doing so allows time to turn off the GPS so you can land without damage.

Finding a good location for a compass cal is very important. Open grassy areas with no underground electric or water mains good. Since, in your case, turning off GPS and then turning it back on resolves the issue suggests this may be fixable without changing parts. Did the H ever fly normally in the past?

Compare your firmware version to those shown below:

Latest_2017-06-30-22-11-26.png

With the aircraft and camera bound to the controller go to Settings, About and get a screenshot of the firmware versions of your system. Also something to look at is if the fans for the RealSense unit are operating. It seems you may have a thermal issue happening since it takes a couple minutes for this to occur.

If replacing components I would try the GPS/Compass module first, then the F/C if getting a good compass calibration and Accelerometer calibration does not alleviate the issue.
I have not have time to try the recalibrate yet but attached is a picture of my firmware. I really appreciate it, thank you. I will get back with you after trying it.

Attachments

• 16229273311254915623349026176833.jpg
    16229273311254915623349026176833.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
I have repaired many H models and prior to returning them I do a test flight. I recall two occasions where the flights started out normally, but after several minutes the H became erratic, then uncontrollable. Replacing the GPS/Compass module did not have any effect. Changing the flight controller did correct the problem.

However, the TB effect can also be a result of older firmware or a bad compass calibration. If either is causing the problem, gaining altitude significantly reduces the problem. Doing so allows time to turn off the GPS so you can land without damage.

Finding a good location for a compass cal is very important. Open grassy areas with no underground electric or water mains good. Since, in your case, turning off GPS and then turning it back on resolves the issue suggests this may be fixable without changing parts. Did the H ever fly normally in the past?

Compare your firmware version to those shown below:

View attachment 25870
My firmware is up to date other than the camera, the drone fly good when I first got it and then it started to tb after 7 or so flights. I have done a calibration in the past and didn't seem to help startes out fine but after 3 to 5 minutes it becomes controllable like you had said. I really appreciate it, thank you.

The link below is discussing flight control board problems that result in lack of GPS acquisition, not the "Toilet Bowl" problems as you have. But it would be very interesting to know if some of these checks would also be revealing for a Toilet Bowl issue. Would you mind doing the checks discussed by @h-elsner and @DoomMeister, and let us know what you see?

The link below is discussing flight control board problems that result in lack of GPS acquisition, not the "Toilet Bowl" problems as you have. But it would be very interesting to know if some of these checks would also be revealing for a Toilet Bowl issue. Would you mind doing the checks discussed by @h-elsner and @DoomMeister, and let us know what you see?
I am going to try what they said and see what happens it is going to take me a few days before I am able to fly. I really appreciate it and I will get back with the results.

Reactions: WTFDproject
I was told (may not say source of information) that the original production Typhoon H GPS module was replaced by a cheaper one in a later production charge which caused many problems. IIRC the cheaper one was than again replaced by a more reliable (maybe the original one).

In addition: a technician at the EU CS center in Germany (not source of above information) recommended to remove the Intel RS module from my YTH PRO in order to get rid of irrative flight behaviours like "not descending" and eventually "toilet bowling".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22