Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Pro w/ ST-16 Issue with Play Store App

Reaction score
Anyone know why or how I can keep the Play Store App open on the ST-16? I can get into it but once the page downloads the ST-16 states "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has Stopped". No matter what I try this is as far as I can get to downloading an App...

Bob

"Unfortunately, Google Play Store has Stopped"
This is a blessing in disguise. There is nothing you need for the ST16 in Play Store, so there is no reason to ever go there with your ST16. Never loose sight of the fact that this is you flight controller, not your personal android device. That is what your other smartphones and tablets are for, ...remember they don't control your aircraft!

Another fact that is often overlooked, if you have ever looked over the list of "Privileges" Play Store requires, you will see it demands nothing short of Administrator privileges over your entire device. This is NOT something you want lurking in the background of your controller while you are flying! Unlike other devices, this one is dedicated to one app and one task: Flight Control. Let it do its job unmolested by other apps.

This is a blessing in disguise. There is nothing you need for the ST16 in Play Store, so there is no reason to ever go there with your ST16. Never loose sight of the fact that this is you flight controller, not your personal android device. That is what your other smartphones and tablets are for, ...remember they don't control your aircraft!

Another fact that is often overlooked, if you have ever looked over the list of "Privileges" Play Store requires, you will see it demands nothing short of Administrator privileges over your entire device. This is NOT something you want lurking in the background of your controller while you are flying! Unlike other devices, this one is dedicated to one app and one task: Flight Control. Let it do its job unmolested by other apps.
Keep it simple, if you want intrusion get a Dji.

Google store does not and never has been able to run properly on the ST16. Forget about Google Play on your ST16. Confine it to your other smart devices. The only other app that I would recommend having on your ST16 (other than the flight controller) is UAV Toolbox and you don't need Google Play to download that.

Nonsense, why everything works correctly in ST16S (this same google playstore apk) ??

All you have to do... is move Vending.apk to priv-apk in System, but you need Rooting. Unfortunately, this is a cloth for a bull in this forum. If you don't need it, you can delete the PlayStore apk's but you also need a momentary Rooting but at least then there are no stupid messages.

• Sad
Reactions: Wingman and DCH
This subject comes up from new owners periodically. If they don’t want to listen to the more experienced owners, call Yuneec and ask them.

They will tell you what you have been told here, don’t try to use Play Store to download apps. It is not present for that purpose but used as part of the code for the auto pilot.

Reactions: DCH

I found out that once you learn the transmitter it has some good stuff in it. But the first thing you have to do is

learn how to fry the typhoon H completely. Once you do that you will find it has some amazing stuff inside.

The more you fly the more you will learn stuff in your realize what you have on your hands.

I've had luck side loading apps as .app files. First you need to enable the hidden developer options in Android settings. Remember, this is an old version of Android so many current apps may not run. Google how to load .apk apps to Android

• Sad
Something important to consider: The ST16 and integrated Android tablet was built to be a Flight Controller for the aircraft, and that is all.

Say, for example, something happens....a malfunction and your aircraft causes major property damage....maybe hurts a person seriously.....you’ve got a problem.

Why? As soon as it is discovered (and it will be) that you’ve made modifications, side loaded apps, changed or enabled functionality never intended by the manufacturer.....EVERYONE will abandon you. The manufacturer, your insurance, support sites, app providers....anyone connected to the legal actions against you....will bail on you. You’ll be left all alone, with 100% liability.

Can you afford the financial devastation? Willing to take the risk?

Like I said in the beginning of this post, this is your aircraft flight controller, not your personal Android device. With thousands of devices to play android with, leave your ST16 to do want it was designed to do.
What it is with everyone wanting to do everything else with it? Isn't anyone paying attention here? How many times has this question been asked, and how many times have the answers been exactly the same? Don't do it. How much clearer can we be? How many androids do you need to run apps with? What, you don't have enough androids laying around? Then buy a tablet or smartphone that doesn't control an aircraft.

It would behoove every pilot to forget about PlayStore and just think of your ST16/ST16S as a fancy Fubatta and forget about running apps with it. It would also behoove every android obsessed wiz to forget about being a pilot. Repeat after me: "It is a flight controller, it is a flight controller, it is a flight controller"......

That said, @Fred Garvin is absolutely right with his dire warning, something many people never think of unti the investigation has begun and charges have been laid. With all these comments warning of the pitfalls, why would anyone still persist in loading 3rd party apps?

...I am waiting for a good answer.

Last edited:
Instant self gratification is their sole purpose in life.
You might have something @PatR! Now I think I know the answer to my own question. Selfie Gratification! These folks think of the H platform as a flying selfie camera and want the ability to email photos and stream videos while flying. Well then, that makes perfect sense! I now change my stance on the concept. I say YES! Load these apps and give that a try and let us know how it works.? Maybe even post a video of the resulting crash, we will all get a kick out of it. And the bonus is this will thin out the heard, and likely result in less reports of people doing foolish things with their flying selfie cameras that give the rest of us a bad reputation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Once again someone asks a question and instead of relevant answers there becomes a judgement of the poster. UAV toolbox is an app that was developed by a frequent poster to this site that has been lauded by others on this site. I've paid for the app and am currently learning how to get the most out of it. Would I ever post a question? No. Could not even imagine how many replies would tell me how cheap, or entitled I was or to just buy an H520…which I plan to do now after my experience with the H.

Once again someone asks a question and instead of relevant answers there becomes a judgement of the poster. UAV toolbox is an app that was developed by a frequent poster to this site that has been lauded by others on this site. I've paid for the app and am currently learning how to get the most out of it. Would I ever post a question? No. Could not even imagine how many replies would tell me how cheap, or entitled I was or to just buy an H520…which I plan to do now after my experience with the H.

You mean like you passing on techniques of adding unauthorized apps on a flight controller, in direct opposition of the manufacturer's recommendations? Your lack of judgement and divergent opinion on this subject does NOT make the judgement of other experienced pilots irrelevant. If I were you I'd go ahead and put an attorney on retainer now, who has experience fighting in the area of liability.

Authorized or recommended? Unauthorized apps? Like UAVToolbox? Also I may have missed the listing of authorized and unauthorized apps, where is it located? Lastly, authorized by Yuneec or Google. So many questions, so few actual answers. Lack of judgement? I answered the question with knowledge I thought was relevant. Is there a recommended list? Or is it an authorized list? Is it from Google for there OS? From Yuneec? Or from this forum?

This is all about Yuneec and the authorizations from them as the manufacturer. And, yes UAV Toolbox is a Yuneec authorized app. If you want confirmation, contact Yuneec...

Reactions: Fred Garvin and DCH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital