Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Red flashing light. ST16 will not enter compass calibration

Reaction score
New to the forum. I crashed. Repaired with 4 arms and 6 latch clips. Now I have a red flashing indicator with descending tones, and my ST16 will not enter compass calibration mode. Camera is detached. I've got issues there as well but that's another topic.

Thanks

Now I have a red flashing indicator with descending tones
The red flashing indicator is the general indication for failure to initialize. You will need to connect the drone to a PC using the GUI to see exactly what is preventing the initialization. The instructions for how to use the GUI are on page 60 of this manual:

Attachments

• TH Manual Updated.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: DoomMeister
The red flashing indicator is the general indication for failure to initialize. You will need to connect the drone to a PC using the GUI to see exactly what is preventing the initialization. The instructions for how to use the GUI are on page 60 of this manual:
I am unable to find the GUI download on the Yuneec web site. Shouldn't it be in downloads?

This post has some added info regarding the Typhoon H GUI download Typhoon H GUI

It should be, but Yuneec is having some sort of problem getting the websites to work again. In the meantime, you can get a copy of the GUI from the repository established @Yuneec Skins:

Yuneec Downloads - Dropbox
I got the program installed on my computer, ran diagnostics. GPS and Compass failed and one motor failed. Attempted to update version and "can't find file".
Now the ST 16 will enter compass calibration if I turn off the GPS switch, however calibration will not open up. I downloaded V3.130 to update that, loaded it onto a microSD, alone, and I get an error message on the controller that says "no firmware exists on the SD card". I am running system version v03.01.b30 so I guess that's ok. The motor I can deal with , but I am lost and flustered on the rest. Any ideas?

I got the program installed on my computer, ran diagnostics. GPS and Compass failed and one motor failed. Attempted to update version and "can't find file".
Now the ST 16 will enter compass calibration if I turn off the GPS switch, however calibration will not open up. I downloaded V3.130 to update that, loaded it onto a microSD, alone, and I get an error message on the controller that says "no firmware exists on the SD card". I am running system version v03.01.b30 so I guess that's ok. The motor I can deal with , but I am lost and flustered on the rest. Any ideas?
Oh yeah. I also broke the camera housing (at least). May have bent the vertical part of the gimbal.

Oh yeah. I also broke the camera housing (at least). May have bent the vertical part of the gimbal.
Make sure the Firmware File name is not changed, it should look like this "TyphoonH_Ver3.04_A.bin" , and make sure its copied directly to the memory card, and not into a Folder on the Card, and try again.

The GPS and compass are not out of calibration, they are failed. Or at least they are not communicating with the Flight Control board. Given the recent crash, it would be a decent bet that either the connection plug is not plugged in correctly, or possibly the FC board itself is not seated firmly. You would have removed the top shell to attach the new arms. Part of removing the top shell is unplugging the GPS connector. Are you sure you plugged the GPS connector back in? It's a fairly wide plug near the rear of the craft. (See pic below).
The failed motor will not prevent initialization, but will need to be addressed before you can start things up. While you are checking the GPS related connections, it may be a good idea to look at the wiring connectors for the failed motor.

Did the new arms come with motors? Or to ask another way, do the old arms still have motors you can salvage to replace the one that failed. This video and pic from @Steve Carr may help locate the two items.
Typhoon H Flight Controller removal - YouTube

MainBoardWiring.jpg

The GPS and compass are not out of calibration, they are failed. Or at least they are not communicating with the Flight Control board. Given the recent crash, it would be a decent bet that either the connection plug is not plugged in correctly, or possibly the FC board itself is not seated firmly. You would have removed the top shell to attach the new arms. Part of removing the top shell is unplugging the GPS connector. Are you sure you plugged the GPS connector back in? It's a fairly wide plug near the rear of the craft. (See pic below).
The failed motor will not prevent initialization, but will need to be addressed before you can start things up. While you are checking the GPS related connections, it may be a good idea to look at the wiring connectors for the failed motor.

Did the new arms come with motors? Or to ask another way, do the old arms still have motors you can salvage to replace the one that failed. This video and pic from @Steve Carr may help locate the two items.
Typhoon H Flight Controller removal - YouTube

View attachment 24623
I will check the connections on the board and plug in. I purchased only arms without motors. I have ordered another motor. The failed motor runs but sound very sick. Thanks again, very much for your responses.

I will check the connections on the board and plug in. I purchased only arms without motors. I have ordered another motor. The failed motor runs but sound very sick. Thanks again, very much for your responses.
That motor may have foreign objects in it. Do you have access to compressed air to try and remove possible dirt?

How does it compare to the other motors when turning it by hand?

Reactions: WTFDproject
That motor may have foreign objects in it. Do you have access to compressed air to try and remove possible dirt?

How does it compare to the other motors when turning it by hand?
It feels as smooth as the others. I do have access to compressed air and will blow it out. I makes a sound like I would expect a bad bearing if that were a thing.

Yes there is such a thing.

Attachments

• Motor Lubrication.pdf
    163 KB · Views: 4
It should be fine. Use very sparingly!

The C-clip can be a bit tricky in its removal and replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval