Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H refusing to throttle down and land

hey guys, new to the forum. Wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue;

flew the H for the first time three times this evening. First flight was fine.

The last two it didn't want to land. Not sure what's up.

In angle mode, collision avoidance off, turtle speed and when I was bringing it in it started to act squirrelly, hovering in tight circles with no input on the controls. Got it stable and lowered it to the ground but it never decelerated and would bounce/skip off. The first ended up costing a couple of props to a wooden fence and the second ended up upside down on grass with no damage thankfully. Any idea what's up with that? Why is it not decelerating to idle with ground contact? Is it a calibration issue I'm missing? Thanks in advance!
I had the exact same thing happen to me TWICE!. The first time i took it up to about 26 feet. Every other command worked except down. I was in smart mode, avoidance off. Today, I was in Angle Mode, Avoidance Off and again every command worked except down. I tried for 4 minutes to get it to descend and nothing. Now after 1800 dollars and bitching from my wife i am terrified that Yuneec is going to take the easy way out and say pilot error.

I had the exact same thing happen to me TWICE!. The first time i took it up to about 26 feet. Every other command worked except down. I was in smart mode, avoidance off. Today, I was in Angle Mode, Avoidance Off and again every command worked except down. I tried for 4 minutes to get it to descend and nothing. Now after 1800 dollars and bitching from my wife i am terrified that Yuneec is going to take the easy way out and say pilot error.

The good news, it is all but unheard of for Yuneec to say, "Pilot Error," as you will read on here over and over again, they are the best in the business at standing behind their product.
The bad news is, they are so good at standing behind it that you will almost certainly and immediately be given a return authorization and en emailed shipping label to send it back for free repair work. The reason I say, Bad news is that you will be without your new H for a bit, but I wouldn't worry for even a second that they will not impress you with their customer service and standing behind their product.
They will take care of you, even if it means shipping it back to them. Their customer service is the Main reason I went against the bird I thought I really wanted from DJI and got the H. It proved to be a great move.
Have you done the latest firmware update since you got it?

Yes i updated it as soon as i got it. i hope you are right my friend. Thanks so much for the info. i will call them tomorrow.

Reactions: Jester
Yes i updated it as soon as i got it. i hope you are right my friend. Thanks so much for the info. i will call them tomorrow.
Just following up on the problem you experienced. Did you follow the video on the update procedure and were you able to do the calibrations without any problem?

I am new to this forum and would like to add my similar experience to this thread.

I too have issues with the "H" responding to the ST-16 on throttle down to descend. Calibrations (compass, accelerometer, gimbal all successful). Most recent firmware; autopilot is 1.34. Updated by Yuneec at the last repair visit in March. Always in Angle mode, always rabbit mode. Have a Q500, Q500-4K, Q500-G that I have been flying for a couple years. All three are absolutely dependable and reliable. No hesitation flying over water or forest. The "H" arrived in early December 2016. I have yet to have a successful satisfactory flight. Yuneec has taken it back twice to correct problems and it still isn't fixed.

The first time it was sent back for going into uncontrollable spirals, increasing speed and radius. Yuneec replaced the GPS unit and sent it back. It arrived back in December. Didn't fly again until late February. I'm in Maine. The weather was too cold, windy, snowy to fly. First warmer, clear day in February I took it out for a test flight expecting my first satisfactory flight. I let it hover at several altitudes. Good! New GPS is working. Moved it around some, looking good! Tried to descend, No response, instead it began to move erratically in circles alternately changing altitude by several feet up down (Angle mode, rabbit). When it was over deep snow I hit the motor stop button fearing it could take off at any moment. Came down about 20 feet before the motors stopped (I am aware of the delayed stop action) and it fell about 15 feet into the snow. Broken landing gear retractor unit; loose camera. Reviewed the telemetry and noted that the RSSI value (Received Signal strength Indicator) had many zeros at the time I tried to descend. A Zero means "No signal received" prior to that the signal strength was between -30 and -35, excellent signal. Sent the telemetry to Yuneec. They agreed there was a problem, issued a Return Authorization. It went to the outsourced repair facility in Kansas. Several weeks later it was returned. I opened the telemetry file from the test flight in Kansas. Still many intermittent zeros in RSSI. Tried my own test flight. Hovered okay for a couple minutes then on throttle down it began to "go crazy" again. Hit emergency stop before it took off on me. Reviewed the telemetry. 8600 entries in the CSV file, 40% with zero, "No signal received". Apparently nothing was done to find and correct the transmission problem. The broken retractor was replaced however.

There is no doubt in my opinion that the fault lies in the ST-16. The "H" sends out several telemetry signals every second regularly. GPS is always solid and correct. I don't think the problem lies in the GPS unit. It is likely in the ST-16.

I've contacted Yuneec again and have yet another Return Authorization. I've become exasperated with Yuneec. Shipping is a week out and a week back. The copter is gone for about a month. I don't believe this particular unit will ever get fixed. I have requested a replacement. I'm not optimistic of that happening!

Apologies for the long post!!

David

I am new to this forum and would like to add my similar experience to this thread.

I too have issues with the "H" responding to the ST-16 on throttle down to descend. Calibrations (compass, accelerometer, gimbal all successful). Most recent firmware; autopilot is 1.34. Updated by Yuneec at the last repair visit in March. Always in Angle mode, always rabbit mode. Have a Q500, Q500-4K, Q500-G that I have been flying for a couple years. All three are absolutely dependable and reliable. No hesitation flying over water or forest. The "H" arrived in early December 2016. I have yet to have a successful satisfactory flight. Yuneec has taken it back twice to correct problems and it still isn't fixed.

The first time it was sent back for going into uncontrollable spirals, increasing speed and radius. Yuneec replaced the GPS unit and sent it back. It arrived back in December. Didn't fly again until late February. I'm in Maine. The weather was too cold, windy, snowy to fly. First warmer, clear day in February I took it out for a test flight expecting my first satisfactory flight. I let it hover at several altitudes. Good! New GPS is working. Moved it around some, looking good! Tried to descend, No response, instead it began to move erratically in circles alternately changing altitude by several feet up down (Angle mode, rabbit). When it was over deep snow I hit the motor stop button fearing it could take off at any moment. Came down about 20 feet before the motors stopped (I am aware of the delayed stop action) and it fell about 15 feet into the snow. Broken landing gear retractor unit; loose camera. Reviewed the telemetry and noted that the RSSI value (Received Signal strength Indicator) had many zeros at the time I tried to descend. A Zero means "No signal received" prior to that the signal strength was between -30 and -35, excellent signal. Sent the telemetry to Yuneec. They agreed there was a problem, issued a Return Authorization. It went to the outsourced repair facility in Kansas. Several weeks later it was returned. I opened the telemetry file from the test flight in Kansas. Still many intermittent zeros in RSSI. Tried my own test flight. Hovered okay for a couple minutes then on throttle down it began to "go crazy" again. Hit emergency stop before it took off on me. Reviewed the telemetry. 8600 entries in the CSV file, 40% with zero, "No signal received". Apparently nothing was done to find and correct the transmission problem. The broken retractor was replaced however.

There is no doubt in my opinion that the fault lies in the ST-16. The "H" sends out several telemetry signals every second regularly. GPS is always solid and correct. I don't think the problem lies in the GPS unit. It is likely in the ST-16.

I've contacted Yuneec again and have yet another Return Authorization. I've become exasperated with Yuneec. Shipping is a week out and a week back. The copter is gone for about a month. I don't believe this particular unit will ever get fixed. I have requested a replacement. I'm not optimistic of that happening!

Apologies for the long post!!

David
You obviously have a lot of experience with Yuneec birds. I would be upset with this chain of events as well.
Have you checked the controls with the hardware monitor and have you tried to reset the ST16?

You obviously have a lot of experience with Yuneec birds. I would be upset with this chain of events as well.
Have you checked the controls with the hardware monitor and have you tried to reset the ST16?
Steve, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
I have used the hardware monitor. Have NOT done a reset on the ST-16.
At this point I will send it to Kansas again with the latest RA and hope for the best...
Thanks again,
David

I was flying my Typhoon H this weekend and I attempted to land the drone, it touched down, I kept the throttle in the down position waiting for the motors to throttle down, it revs up, goes sideways, flips upside down, breaks every propeller and the gimbal mount. I was in the turtle mode this time. It tried to rev up in the rabbit mode the flight before but settled back down.

Any help would be appreciated.

That happened to me once last year. I recalibrated everything as carefully as possible, especially the accelerometer being on a perfectly flat surface, it hasn't happened again. When it did happen that time, I had to send it back to have the camera mount replaced under warranty. I've heard others say that they just climbed up a 50 feet or so and tried landing again, but coming down more quickly. I've found that hovering before landing can cause it to act weirdly like that.

Reactions: Briansmoore
I was flying my Typhoon H this weekend and I attempted to land the drone, it touched down, I kept the throttle in the down position waiting for the motors to throttle down, it revs up, goes sideways, flips upside down, breaks every propeller and the gimbal mount. I was in the turtle mode this time. It tried to rev up in the rabbit mode the flight before but settled back down. Any help would be appreciated.
This generally occurs because it's hard to hold the left stick down without pushing it a little to the right. That's why most flips occur to the right side. I always use rabbit to land and I don't bring it down slowly although many people do. While holding the left stick down I hit the kill button and so I don't have the flip issue. If you have difficulty with getting the left stick down without pushing it left or right then just hover a few inches off the ground and hit the kill button. It works perfectly.

This generally occurs because it's hard to hold the left stick down without pushing it a little to the right. That's why most flips occur to the right side. I always use rabbit to land and I don't bring it down slowly although many people do. While holding the left stick down I hit the kill button and so I don't have the flip issue. If you have difficulty with getting the left stick down without pushing it left or right then just hover a few inches off the ground and hit the kill button. It works perfectly.
OK, Thanks. Will give it a try

Well, just got off the phone with Yuneec customer service. I sent them the flight telemetry data after the crash and they claim the drone was still descending (when in fact it was on the ground). Typical BS, it was pilot error. Next time, I'll try to kill the motors a few inches off the ground.

Well, just got off the phone with Yuneec customer service. I sent them the flight telemetry data after the crash and they claim the drone was still descending (when in fact it was on the ground). Typical BS, it was pilot error. Next time, I'll try to kill the motors a few inches off the ground.

No video to send them?

I record from launch to land. It costs nothing to record the whole flight.
I was doing a job for a farmer today...video and pictures of his cows. I took a few pictures and didn't press the record button properly to start the video after I changed camera modes...BUGGER :mad:

I had to fly an extra battery to re do the videoing that I thought I'd already done. Luckily the farmer had left me to it and went doing other stuff so he didn't know that I goofed, so no loss of reputation.

(by the way, it was VERY windy today and the H flew very well. I wouldn't have put my Phantom up in that wind!)

Hi guys.

sorry to dig up an old thread, but I see that there is still absolutely no conclusion in this topic. I've been experiencing this problem too. It seems that when this happens, turning off the GPS eliminates the problem. Landing without GPS stabilisation is harder, but definitely doable. This might indicate that the problem is somewhere in the GPS module. I assume that the barometer is on the same board and if I turn off the GPS, the barometer mighjt be turned off as well. Or, perhaps, the H takes altitude data from the GPS as well, even though GPS is known for poor vertical precission.

I heard of a case where this problem happened often and Yuneec exchanged the GPS module and the issue was solved.

Can anyone else confirm that turning off the GPS stabilisation eliminates the problem for the time being?

Hi guys.
sorry to dig up an old thread, but I see that there is still absolutely no conclusion in this topic. I've been experiencing this problem too. It seems that when this happens, turning off the GPS eliminates the problem. Landing without GPS stabilisation is harder, but definitely doable. This might indicate that the problem is somewhere in the GPS module. I assume that the barometer is on the same board and if I turn off the GPS, the barometer mighjt be turned off as well. Or, perhaps, the H takes altitude data from the GPS as well, even though GPS is known for poor vertical precission.
I heard of a case where this problem happened often and Yuneec exchanged the GPS module and the issue was solved.
Can anyone else confirm that turning off the GPS stabilisation eliminates the problem for the time being?
First......the altimeter isn't affected by turning the GPS on or off. The GPS is actually always on. Turning it off simply tells the Flight Controller not to use GPS.
I suspect that unpredictable flight behavior is nearly always associated with GPS/Compass issues. It could be either or both causing the problem. When you turn off GPS it is no longer controlling position so the pilot immediately has full control. Even if the real problem is with the compass, turning off GPS stops any conflict between the compass and GPS.
I'm not talking about just Yuneec machines. I suspect this is true with all GPS copters of any brand.

Sure, that's pretty obvious, considering that after turning off the GPS you still have full telemetry, with all parameters, including distance, speed, altitude and position. Saying "turning off the GPS" is just a figure of speech.

My question remains open - did anyone else experience an improvement after switching the GPS off?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval