Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H refusing to throttle down and land

Have you been having your landing issues whilst in Turtle mode?

Yes, I was in turtle mode. I haven't tried in any other speed mode. However, like I said before, it descended fine 3 or 4 times before while I was testing it. The issue occurred at battery voltage 4.7 when I was landing to shut it off.

Has everybody updated their birds and the ST16 to the latest firmware version ?

Typhoon H

Description:

Improvements to ultrasonic obstacle avoidance system performance.
Improvements to gimbal control in pan mode.
(Date: 5/19/2016)

Firmware Version:
Gimbal: v1.22
Autopilot: v1.15
Camera: v3.1.37

ST16

Description:

Improvements to Team mode settings.
(Date: 04/11/2016)

Firmware Version:
st16_system_v03.01.b18

kind regards
/\/\ax2206

Yes, my ST16 came with the latest firmware and I updated the H with the latest firmware prior to first flight.

Yes, I was in turtle mode. I haven't tried in any other speed mode. However, like I said before, it descended fine 3 or 4 times before while I was testing it. The issue occurred at battery voltage 4.7 when I was landing to shut it off.
Ok, FWIW I just took my Typhoon-H out to the front yard to try to fly and land it in Turtle mode. I have never used Turtle mode until today...I don't like it all. Anyway, just wanted to say that the vehicle is very hard to land in in Turtle mode as compared to Rabbit. I tried four or five different landing attempts after returning the copter to about 5m each time, and it was difficult to control as the vehicle responds very poorly. On one occasion I almost was not able to get it to land, even though I held the throttle stick all the way down.

My take on this: Do NOT try to land in Turtle mode, and do NOT try to maneuver the vehicle in this mode if there is any wind at all.

Last edited:
Ok, FWIW I just took my Typhoon-H out to the front yard to try to fly and land it in Turtle mode. I have never used Turtle mode until today...I don't like it all. Anyway, just wanted to say that the vehicle is very hard to land in in Turtle mode as compared to Rabbit. I tried four or five different landing attempts after returning the copter to about 5m each time, and it was difficult to control as the vehicle responds very poorly. I one occasion I almost was not able to get it to land, even though I held the throttle stick all the way down.

My take on this: Do NOT try to land in Turtle mode, and do NOT try to maneuver the vehicle in this mode if there is any wind at all.

Well, I can see how that might be the issue. I'm going to try out this afternoon when it cools off outside. Memphis and the heat. I bet that is the problem though.

Thanks for the help!

After I turned my slider up to the Rabbit, a lot of my stability problems disappeared. The aircraft was just not responding fast enough for me at anything less than full Rabbit.

Last edited:
Just an update for those that are following this thread. I did another test flight Saturday afternoon in rabbit mode. Same problem occurred. YTH would not respond to total down stick input. YTH barely descended.

I am getting a new ST16 on Wednesday ( for rattling fan blade issue, not this issue). I am going to try the new controller and hope it resolves the issue before the H gets destroyed, flies away, damages property or worse, someone gets hurt.

If the new controller doesn't fix the issue, this one is going back.

As I sit here waiting on UPS to deliver my replacement controller (displaced controller fan blade), I was messing around with the H (checking controller settings, etc.) and I noticed that the status indicator lights did not match the reference card. Was seeing blue when it should be purple, only blue and green flashing during initialization, no red flashing in RTH mode. Then it dawned on me that the red LED status light was not working and that is why I was seeing Blue instead of purple (red and blue = purple).

So, I have decided to return this H for a replacement. To many small issues for a $1300.00 drone when most people have reported having no issues. Maybe I just got one from the initial manufacturing run frenzy that wasn't QC'd properly.

Although some issues are to be expected with the initial release of a product, there is NO excuse for any device that relies on reliability and consistency for safe operation to leave a manufacturer with these kind of issues. I'm not talking about issues that don't necessarily affect flight safety (LEDs not working) but landing gear issues, battery issues, the circle of death issues, inability to land, etc. that have led to drone crashes, damage and potentially injuries.

These issues are being addressed by Yuneec promptly and professionally. In my opinion their customer service is second to none. However, these issues can lead to a bad reputation for the H and fuel the fire for future drone and safety regulations (remember the negative news reports when DJI first came out with fly-aways and drones "falling from the sky"?)

I am truly impressed with the H and the support provided by Yuneec. If I had any doubts about the company or product, I would be purchasing the Phantom 4. But for now, I stand with Yuneec and the H and would have no problem purchasing an H again.

Hopefully, my luck will be better on the second attempt, but for now, I'm drone-less. : (
Good news is the replacement should be delivered the first of next week.

I apologize for the extended post. My intent was to show support for Yuneec and the H despite the issues that I experienced and others have reported.

Have a great day and safe flying!

Reactions: HarveyC
The problem is stick input stops working completely, it just hovers there and does nothing. On the 2 occasions it happened to me it took about 30-50 seconds before it finally very very slowly descended and was able to land. Both times was about 15-20 feet up when it would not descend. And in Angle mode both times. Dont use smart (dumb) mode. Dont use smart (dumb) mode.
Chris did you ever correct and find out why you could not land? My H Pro is doing the same thing also ! I also get 5 motor warning and Obstacle Avoidance not working too!

DC
I think I read where one member who had the same problem and there seems to quite a few that do that he ended up getting the barometer/accelerometer changed out and it was fine after that.

As I sit here waiting on UPS to deliver my replacement controller (displaced controller fan blade), I was messing around with the H (checking controller settings, etc.) and I noticed that the status indicator lights did not match the reference card. Was seeing blue when it should be purple, only blue and green flashing during initialization, no red flashing in RTH mode. Then it dawned on me that the red LED status light was not working and that is why I was seeing Blue instead of purple (red and blue = purple).

So, I have decided to return this H for a replacement. To many small issues for a $1300.00 drone when most people have reported having no issues. Maybe I just got one from the initial manufacturing run frenzy that wasn't QC'd properly.

Although some issues are to be expected with the initial release of a product, there is NO excuse for any device that relies on reliability and consistency for safe operation to leave a manufacturer with these kind of issues. I'm not talking about issues that don't necessarily affect flight safety (LEDs not working) but landing gear issues, battery issues, the circle of death issues, inability to land, etc. that have led to drone crashes, damage and potentially injuries.

These issues are being addressed by Yuneec promptly and professionally. In my opinion their customer service is second to none. However, these issues can lead to a bad reputation for the H and fuel the fire for future drone and safety regulations (remember the negative news reports when DJI first came out with fly-aways and drones "falling from the sky"?)

I am truly impressed with the H and the support provided by Yuneec. If I had any doubts about the company or product, I would be purchasing the Phantom 4. But for now, I stand with Yuneec and the H and would have no problem purchasing an H again.

Hopefully, my luck will be better on the second attempt, but for now, I'm drone-less. : (
Good news is the replacement should be delivered the first of next week.

I apologize for the extended post. My intent was to show support for Yuneec and the H despite the issues that I experienced and others have reported.

Have a great day and safe flying!
The LED status card has never been updated so it is not correct.
Angle mode with GPS lock: Purple (may look blue) with white flashing
Smart mode with GPS lock: Green with white flashing
RTH with GPS lock: Red flashing

Chris did you ever correct and find out why you could not land? My H Pro is doing the same thing also ! I also get 5 motor warning and Obstacle Avoidance not working too!
What is the altitude reading on your ST16 when this happens?

What is the altitude reading on your ST16 when this happens?
Found out this morning my new Pro has a shorted ESC and when throttle given, I have one motor that dies, it will only idle. Saw blue arching inside the air vents. Yuneec is kind enough to send me a whole new complete H Pro. I am really hoping this one works the way it should !

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Mackey
Yuneec CS will tell (told me) to never be ALL the way down in turtle mode -- the bird wont react fast enough to issues.. I for one Calibrate until EVERYTHING looks correct on the controller, even my distance from the controller to the bird! That one is sometimes hard to do, but once you have it your really locked --

Last edited:
Same problem. Always seems to happen when altitude is pretty far off. I've done compass calibrations (and accelerometer).

One possible solution (I tried it once and it worked) is to raise and lower the landing gear. Could be coincidence and I haven't had time to test it more rigorously.

Your experience is not unique it seems. There are several (I won't say many) who have experienced very similar flight characteristics. I may be going out on a limb here, but I am honestly starting to think the problem is with the ST16 controller and not the Typhoon H. Evidence now seems to be pointing in that direction from the posts I've been reading.

I had that happen once a few months ago. Had a good flight earlier in the day, but when I moved to another location nearby, it didn't want to land and bounced around until the landing gear got caught in some weeds and took it down. I couldn't kill the motors either. Damaged one prop and the camera, luckily nothing else. Not sure what caused it, but after I re-calibrated the compass in the middle of a large field, and the accelerometer on a flat level surface, it's been fine (so far). I do this each time I travel more than about 50 miles from the previous location. It also seems to fly better if I let it sit powered up for a good 10 minutes before flying to let it gather as much GPS data that it can.

I experienced this issue and started a thread a while ago. Yuneec sent me a new unit and have had the same issues. The solution I have found is to raise it to 10' and then try again. It is very concerning when it happens honestly the other option I have found is to hand catch the bird and kill the motors. This is an issues that Yuneec seems to be aware of but does not have a software solution to at this time. *Yikes* H would not land- Landing Issue

Your experience is not unique it seems. There are several (I won't say many) who have experienced very similar flight characteristics. I may be going out on a limb here, but I am honestly starting to think the problem is with the ST16 controller and not the Typhoon H. Evidence now seems to be pointing in that direction from the posts I've been reading.
Yes , I just got mine three days ago and the first flight was good and second flight and the third flight did the same thing didn't want to land and before I took off it wouldn't let me set the compass. I had already done all the updates for the craft and the controller. So I went into the settings and the controller wasn't picking up the craft. I then called support with yuneec and we reconnected it by lifting up the the back of the craft back and forth till the controller picked it up.
Since then b-4 I fly I reselect the Typhoon H
In the model select and everything thing is kool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio