Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H take off launch pad option

Reaction score
Hey pilots,

It seems everytime I go drone flying with someone new they tend to treat their drone camera like their cell phone camera.... that is to say that many objects touch the lens and it gets kind of dirty.

I've notice that many pilots put their drones on grass which touches the lens prior to take off, or they take off on loose sand. All off these have the potential to dirty the lens just enough to affect a 4k image when watched at full resolution.

In this video tip I point out an obvious option to avoid this.

I agree, and as I posted earlier, the possibility of that crud blowing up into the cam card slot is another consideration.

I, being that cheap is my name, simply bought a 4' by 5' carpet from Amazon for a few bucks. Heavy enough that it does not turn into a flying carpet, but light enough to roll up and carry around, put in vehicle, etc.

I enjoy your videos, Cap, keep up your good work.

Reactions: JohnL
I agree, and as I posted earlier, the possibility of that crud blowing up into the cam card slot is another consideration.

I, being that cheap is my name, simply bought a 4' by 5' carpet from Amazon for a few bucks. Heavy enough that it does not turn into a flying carpet, but light enough to roll up and carry around, put in vehicle, etc.

Be careful using carpet for the takeoff/landing pad.
When I use to fly RC helis, some people would use carpet the same way and every now and then the rotor wash from the main rotor would cause the edge of the carpet to curl up and strike the main rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Stuff CAPT, Love all the video tips you are providing! One thing I would add is being very careful when hand catching a drone. Only reason I say this is I had an incident about 5 years ago with my Cessna RC plane, where the prop cut up my arms in a mishap. I have scars on my forearms that are pretty bad. These props can cause injury and one should do so with extreme caution. I understand there are times you may need to hand catch your H just be overly cautious when doing so. Especially if you are holding your transmitter in one arm and grabbing with the other.

Be careful using carpet for the takeoff/landing pad.
When I use to fly RC helis, some people would use carpet the same way and every now and then the rotor wash from the main rotor would cause the edge of the carpet to curl up and strike the main rotor.

Exactly, the carpet I use is finished, like for a kitchen floor, and stiff/thick enough that the edges will not curl. 4' by 5' is enough pad that even near-sighted folks can hit it.

Thanks & good idea with the carpet!

Good Stuff CAPT, Love all the video tips you are providing! One thing I would add is being very careful when hand catching a drone. Only reason I say this is I had an incident about 5 years ago with my Cessna RC plane, where the prop cut up my arms in a mishap. I have scars on my forearms that are pretty bad. These props can cause injury and one should do so with extreme caution. I understand there are times you may need to hand catch your H just be overly cautious when doing so. Especially if you are holding your transmitter in one arm and grabbing with the other.
Fully agree. Catching a drone is rather easy, but one must remain mindful of them savage props.

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
I went to my local auto store and bought a rubber floor mat for $24.99 and cut it in half, giving me a 4'x5' piece. It weighs enough that it doesn't blow away and rolls up nicely to fit one of my fishing rod slings for transport. My DJI buddy liked it so much he copied the idea, soon he'll probably finish the hack and buy his own H :rolleyes:

Some good points made above.
I live in a pretty remote part of Australia and over the years of flying rc, I have had to contend with some fairly harsh environments including dirt, dust, sand, iron filings, etc, so I designed a landing mat (1500 X 1500mm) and had this printed in a heavy vinyl. I then used some natural bamboo and cable tied this to each end of the mat to not only hold it down in windy conditions, but to also make it easier to roll up when finished. This has saved me many times over and the fact that I have a few checklist items on the mat is an added bonus. Obviously, If i were to re-design this mat again, it would feature the Yuneec logo in a very prominent position.....

Attachments

• UAV_Mat.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
Some good points made above.
I live in a pretty remote part of Australia and over the years of flying rc, I have had to contend with some fairly harsh environments including dirt, dust, sand, iron filings, etc, so I designed a landing mat (1500 X 1500mm) and had this printed in a heavy vinyl. I then used some natural bamboo and cable tied this to each end of the mat to not only hold it down in windy conditions, but to also make it easier to roll up when finished. This has saved me many times over and the fact that I have a few checklist items on the mat is an added bonus. Obviously, If i were to re-design this mat again, it would feature the Yuneec logo in a very prominent position.....

That looks like you could sell it on Amazon or eBay as an actual product. Well done!

Exactly, the carpet I use is finished, like for a kitchen floor, and stiff/thick enough that the edges will not curl. 4' by 5' is enough pad that even near-sighted folks can hit it.
LOL! That would be me.

Reactions: Rayray
That looks like you could sell it on Amazon or eBay as an actual product. Well done!

I'm happy to design one specifically for the Yuneec stuff if enough people actually want one. I can also include suggestions from members here as to what they actually want on it.

Mine cost me $208.18 It was digitally printed on heavy duty 1500 X 1500mm heavy duty vinyl with eyelets down each side.This was printed locally and I am sure it could be printed at a lower cost if it was outsourced. Maybe I can just design the mat and provide the high res PDF and then anyone can grab it and get it printed themselves where-ever they choose?

Here is my simple solution, a car sun shade and added duck tape to each corner so I can use garden stake to secure it:

Zone Tech Nylon Windshield Magic Sunshade - Premium Quality Super Jumbo Nylon Reflective Car Magic Sunshade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EIRAB78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Qh7YxbGY5RJ6T

00f4a94b603bcc92055d66a39529d3ef.jpg
ae18ccbbce8482399bfef7c15864cb94.jpg

I like the Hoodman launch pad.
5 Ft Diameter Drone Launch Pad - HDLP (On backorder - you may still order this product) in Launch Pad

I have the 3ft version, but I'm thinking of getting the 5ft version also because the 3ft version is a smaller target to land on. Works really well.

It's also available other placed such as Drone Plus.

5 Ft Diameter Drone Launch Pad - HDLP (On backorder - you may still order this product) in Launch Pad
LOL!: 3-foot diam. pad: $79.99; 5-foot diam pad: $129.99; 8-foot diam. pad: $429.99 !! Must be lots of folks with lots of disposable income to spend this kind of money on orange plastic. :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval