Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H - US or EU Firmware ?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have the EU firmware installed on my Typhoon H.

Have been given the US equivalent cgo3+gb_3.2.34_LC2_A_firmware_30234 for in case I travel abroad into the US but have been told this may be illegal to use in the EU ?

It's an official version and have been told it is not patched and will work for my machine. I have also been given the EU version in order to be able to revert allowing me to toggle between the two as required.

Can anyone please clarify the main upsides in using the US firmware in the EU please if any? I have read that the power output is significantly higher in the US version so does this translate to further distances for both video and control or just video transmission ? However in other threads I have read conflicting info that the frequency hopping of the EU version also allows further distances over the US version?

Also why is the higher output illegal in the EU? Does it interfere with anything in particular that is likely to cause issues ?

Thanks

Hi, I can revert/use both firmwares with no restrictions because I have been given official files. They are not patched files.

I currently have the EU firmware on it and I wanted to try the US but not entirely sure what I would gain. If it's illegal not exactly sure why and if it's worth it?

Last edited:
Ekko, you have given the answers in your first posting.

Besides there is no gain in US firmware but a little less waiting while initialising the camera at startup.

Illegal does not say there is a logical reason for the implemented restriction. It's just illegal, which has to do with radio-interference on certain frequencies.

Reactions: FlushVision
To use the American (standard) firmware in a TH in Europe is illegal. I'm not sure if it is illegal to use EU firmware in America, though.

Although the power levels of the EU firmware are markedly weaker than the American version, largely due to the channel hopping capabilities of the EU firmware there isn't much of a difference in the net result...you are still very able to control your aircraft and receive video to distances that go beyond VLOS (how far beyond VLOS I can't say).

The disadvantages of using EU firmware as apposed to the American firmware lie in the camera connection time (as Dr Delta has pointed out), and the issue surrounding the video dropping out (not experienced by all) when sometimes raising the landing gear.

In the real world you are unlikely to fall foul of the law (in the UK anyway) if you are using the American firmware in the U.K. I know of no-one who has been brought to book for using the American firmware so far, but I caution you about using it if you are flying commercially since, in theory, your aircraft can be inspected by the CAA and other relevant authorities at any time (although, again, I know of no-one who has had their aircraft called in for inspection so far, but the CAA does have this power).

My personal opinion is that if you are flying in the EU on EU firmware is to leave it be and stay legal. However, if you have the issue surrounding the loss of video when raising the landing gear and it is a major problem for you, then consider the American version...but only for that reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: ekko star
Thanks to you both for your informative responses.

So, I have not experienced any noticeable video drop out whilst raising or lowering the landing gear. On that front the EU seems fine for me.

However the increased power levels of the US firmware do intrigue me as that in theory should translate to a more reliable connection and perhaps over a further distance ? I don't wish to go out of LOS at anytime but if higher output translates to a more secure connection at all times then that is perhaps a worthwhile consideration.

My TH is officially NFZ deactivated via Flight Controller and both the additional FW files have been provided officially. They would not load the the US firmware for obvious reasons (I am in the UK) but they did provide it and inferred it was perhaps the better version. I am free to toggle between the 2 versions, the only constraint being legal considerations.

This is then what has led to me to try understand definitively what exactly the real world differences are between the two.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks to you both for your informative responses.

So, I have not experienced any noticeable video drop out whilst raising or lowering the landing gear. On that front the EU seems fine for me.

However the increased power levels of the US firmware do intrigue me as that in theory should translate to a more reliable connection and perhaps over a further distance ? I don't wish to go out of LOS at anytime but if higher output translates to a more secure connection at all times then that is perhaps a worthwhile consideration.

My TH is officially NFZ deactivated via Flight Controller and both the additional FW files have been provided officially. They would not load the the US firmware for obvious reasons (I am in the UK) but they did provide it and inferred it was perhaps the better version. I am free to toggle between the 2 versions, the only constraint being legal considerations.

This is then what has led to me to try understand definitively what exactly the real world differences are between the two.

Thanks
I would say to you, then, that if you aren't experiencing the issue of video dropping out when raising the landing gear, then there isn't anything much to be gained by using the American firmware particularly if, like me, you have no intention of flying beyond VLOS. But that's just my opinion.

So while I have no intention of flying beyond VLOS at all I think my main issue would revolve around the chance of signal drop out and loss of control.

I do travel into the EU and would like to fly over remote forests and coastal areas that I frequent. I'm not sure if the density of foliage and water bears any impact on the strength of the connection required.

Hence does the improved power output of the US FW = a more reliable connection.

The EU FW has been ok so far (in the limited areas I have used the TH in the UK) but I would like to understand the limitations when I use it in other geographical areas.

Hence does the improved power output of the US FW = a more reliable connection.
That would depend on the sort of area you are in. In theory, in a wide open space well away from wi-fi sources and other RF sources I would say yes, but if there are reasonably close RF sources/wi-fi then probably no, not in a significant way anyway. Remember that EU firmware has a channel hoping ability that the U.S. version doesn't have which, for the large part, compensates. There are other technical factors to consider too. It's not just about the weaker/stronger power.

I can only attest to LOS operations and the furthest away I've ever flown is the legal maximum allowed in the U.K. just once (500m), and I can say that I've never had control/video issues (apart from video sometimes dropping on raising the gear).

Last edited:
I have been reading a lot about this, as I tend to fly far out and follow moving objects.

There is no noticable difference in the distance where you loose contact with the controller. Once I flew out more then 2 km and had full control over the H. Important of course is to have a completely free line of sight between transmitter and H.

Hang glider in action (copyright Aerobotik Aerial Imaging)

arjen.JPG

There is no noticable difference in the distance where you loose contact with the controller. Once I flew out more then 2 km and had full control over the H. Important of course is to have a completely free line of sight between transmitter and H.

2km ? Is that on the EU firmware ?

yes, more then 2 km.
all standard equipment, EU firmware, flat antenna.

the photo (screenshot from short movie) is 1,5 km away from controller and around 250 mtrs high.

So when I spoke with Yuneec they said US FW is up to 1.6Km and EU is around 500-800m

If you hit over 2km on the EU firmware that really is quite something

Well they said it would be dependent on a variety of environmental conditions.

Nothing concrete implied but those would be the realistic limits.

So if you get over 3/4 times that EU range then thats really quite impressive !

Ok so the tech blurb on the website says

Control 1.6km/1 mile
Video 1.6km/1 mile both FCC and CE

That's in optimum conditions. I was a bit dubious the CE firmware would match that of the US but from your experience you have exceeded both by quite some margin.

Its all far beyond I would comfortably fly anyway but its a little more reassuring nonetheless.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge