Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

typhoon H will not take off

Reaction score
i have had my typhoon H for a while with no real problems until now. i try to get it to take off and it refuses to launch. i get a double beep when i hit the start/stop button. on screen it says the controller has a dozen GPS satellites, and the drone has 17+, but under "gps" it says aquiring.

im guessing this is due to the drone GPS not working even though it has a ton of sat's??

ive attached a couple pictures of the screen. if anyone knows what might be going on here let me know please. warranty isnt up yet so i need to know whether i should RMA it or if im doing something wrong20170831_132224.jpg 20170831_133750.jpg

First suggestion is to go into system settings and delete your current bind setup for the airframe. Then tip the airframe forward until the rear light starts flashing orange and rebind the controller, airframe and camera.

First suggestion is to go into system settings and delete your current bind setup for the airframe. Then tip the airframe forward until the rear light starts flashing orange and rebind the controller, airframe and camera.

ok ill try that, thanks for the quick response!!

I don't think it will take off unless the GPS is off, or is on and has acquired a lock.
If this is one of the first times out, or it hasn't been flown in quite some time (180 days, give or take) it will take some amount of time - between a few and several minutes - for the GPS to update the almanac and ephemeris data and finally obtain a lock. This isn't a limitation of the H; all GPS receivers require a lengthy amount of time to update almanac and ephemeris data if they have been inactive for some amount of time.
And if you turned it off before that update was performed, the process will have to start all over again. So, if you weren't giving it at least 10-15 minutes to get a lock, it will have to start all over again. Seems that it took about that long for mine to get the almanac and ephemeris data when I first started it brand new. No worries though - as long as you fly it every so often (once a week or three) it will automatically update it's almanac while actively locked on to the GPS constellation and you're flying it without you even realizing it.
Edit: Just double-checked the GPS info, and indeed, the time can be from 13-15 minutes between almanac information updates for all satellites in the constellation. So, give your H at least that long, sitting, waiting, and listening while it's turned on while on the ground.
Reference: Time to first fix - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I don't think it will take off unless the GPS is off, or is on and has acquired a lock.
If this is one of the first times out, it will take some amount of time - between a few and several minutes - for the GPS to update the almanac and ephemeris data and finally obtain a lock. This isn't a limitation of the H; all GPS receivers require a lengthy amount of time to update almanac and ephemeris data if they have been inactive for some amount of time.
And if you turned it off before that update was performed, the process will have to start all over again. So, if you weren't giving it at least 10-15 minutes to get a lock, it will have to start all over again. Seems that it took about that long for mine to get the almanac and ephemeris data when I first started it brand new. No worries though - as long as you fly it every so often (once a week or three) it will automatically update it's almanac while actively locked on to the GPS constellation and you're flying it without you even realizing it.
Edit: Just double-checked the GPS info, and indeed, the time can be from 13-15 minutes between almanac information updates for all satellites in the constellation. So, give your H at least that long, sitting, waiting, and listening while it's turned on while on the ground.

ive flown this a LOT, in this location as its my home. you are correct when you say it wont fly without GPS, or the GPS has to be turned off. when i turn it off it will launch and fly.. but it flies like a drunken buzzard, and its a REAL mess to land. i let it sit in the drive way for 25 minutes trying to aquire GPS and it wouldnt do it. this just started a couple weeks a go, and every flight since then is without gps. it simply will not acquire GPS for some reason.
ill have to wait until it stops raining here to get a chance to "update" everything from GPS. the hurricane is wreaking havoc on my weather. (west tennessee) so it might be a few days before i can try this out, unless it can get that info sitting on my porch under the roof?

Have you flown in this location before? Any chance you're within five miles of an airport?

im about 10 miles from the airport here. its a small mom and pop airport with no tower, and the "geo fence" has allowed my flight here numerous times. the pics are from my front yard. i was standing in my driveway and ive flown it here a hundred times before with no issues.

Worth a try, but I'd have to say that if resetting, re-binding, and all else has been attempted, it might be that there's been a GPS failure of some sort. I'd try to totally reset everything - reload the latest firmware in the H and the ST16, reset the ST16... and then letting it sit long enough to run down the battery; everything like that before giving up and putting a new GPS module in there.

Worth a try, but I'd have to say that if resetting, re-binding, and all else has been attempted, it might be that there's been a GPS failure of some sort. I'd try to totally reset everything - reload the latest firmware in the H and the ST16, reset the ST16... and then letting it sit long enough to run down the battery; everything like that before giving up and putting a new GPS module in there.

currently its sitting on the front porch turned on. im going to allow it to update all the gps stuff. i just did a firmware update on the controller and the drone.

i will have to say, i REALLY like the controller update!!

ill check in on it after its sat out there for 30 minutes and see what the deal is. ill post back here with any updates around 4pm CST

ok so it sat outside (its raining) on the porch for an hour and a half on. went i went to check on it the GPS on the left hand side of the screen said "ready" i hit the start button and it instantly freaked out and went to "acquiring", then bounced back to ready. it did this back and forth several times but would not start at all. if i turn off gps it will start fine. if its running and i switch back to gps on it will shut down immediately. (dont fly it then try to turn on gps...might get a pancake of a drone) so i now have NO idea what to do other than try and contact yuneec and see if theres something they can suggest. if anyone in here has any other ideas (tried unbind and rebind, update firmware, and let it update the gps sat's) feel free to post them here. ill be checking back often...fingers crossed!

ok so it sat outside (its raining) on the porch for an hour and a half on. went i went to check on it the GPS on the left hand side of the screen said "ready" i hit the start button and it instantly freaked out and went to "acquiring", then bounced back to ready. it did this back and forth several times but would not start at all. if i turn off gps it will start fine. if its running and i switch back to gps on it will shut down immediately. (dont fly it then try to turn on gps...might get a pancake of a drone) so i now have NO idea what to do other than try and contact yuneec and see if theres something they can suggest. if anyone in here has any other ideas (tried unbind and rebind, update firmware, and let it update the gps sat's) feel free to post them here. ill be checking back often...fingers crossed!

Odd I had this issue months ago, went to an open field several miles away, no start, calibrated compass still no start came home no start, calibrated still no start. So I just let it sit for a day re-calibrated and waaaaaaaa up up and way:D. Make sure you're not close to buildings, though I'm sure you're aware of this.

I have seen mine momentarily lose GPS upon motor start before. All I can think of is wait until you can try it in the clear.
Good that it did get a lock though!

have seen mine momentarily lose GPS upon motor start before. All I can think of is wait until you can try it in the clear.
Good that it did get a lock though!
I had a no-start issue too...then I checked the ST-16 settings and realized I had left the angle/rth toggle in rth mode...

i set it outside again with full batteries and just let it sit there. it finally acquired a GPS signal. it now flies, but after the firmware update the real sense stopped working and the controller freaks out over it... i have no idea why, and would love to get the warnings to stop forever as i dont use it

I've gotten the acquiring stuck thing a couple of times. For me, it was resolved with letting both the H and the controller sit for 15 minutes and update the almanac, and then a power cycle of both. If that doesn't do it for you, I'd look at re-updating the firmware on both and then trying again.

Alternatively, if you can't get a GPS fix (for example, flying inside a large building or under really heavy tree cover) you can disable the GPS but be VERY CAREFUL as then you're flying 100% by hand and it won't hold a hover without you giving it active input.

Not hijack the post (noob here) but mine will start but not take off. Should I try some of the fixes mentioned previously?

Thanks !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval