Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update 1.3 - 1 March 2018

My understanding is that it has always been PX4. The impression was that as a commercial drone the brief for the H520 was very tight - inspection and surveying. It was not designed or intended to be a drone for videography, though the hardware platform is planned to support all 'high end' drones Yuneec produces in the next few years. For the H520 all of the focus in testing was for being able to do complex waypoint missions for the market leading survey tools, something that the Typhoon H CCC missions are really not suited to.

I don't know, but from the beginning it was indicated that it was going to be a photo and video platform too. After this time I have the feeling that Yuneec has been wandering like a headless hen, running from one place to another. That feeling that there is no definite leadership is perplexing to me and it is very strange to have it in a company the size of Yuneec.

The few pieces of news that we have "officially" received were contradictory on numerous occasions. Since Yuneec USA one thing was said, in Yuneec UK it was not the same or changed and since Yuneec Germany was all confusing. At least that feeling I've had. Let us hope that the waters are calm and that they can work at a good pace and without pause. What we have no doubt about is that the platform has been launched very green on the market.

Let's hope that all this we're talking about will soon be like a bad dream.

Reactions: RGilmore and Graham
The contradictory messages are due to the company structure. The US, UK and EU offices are technically only distributors. It used to be that all the development work happened in complete secrecy in China. So often the distributors had to create their own marketing material, and quite often they'd be as much in the dark as we are about what was going to be released next. The recent changes seem to be about fixing that.

The contradictory messages are due to the company structure. The US, UK and EU offices are technically only distributors. It used to be that all the development work happened in complete secrecy in China. So often the distributors had to create their own marketing material, and quite often they'd be as much in the dark as we are about what was going to be released next. The recent changes seem to be about fixing that.

The problem is that the lack of communication or contradictions is or was very serious. I hope you are right and let us move forward because, apart from being disconcerting, the situation does not only not inspire confidence, but quite the contrary.

There’s a three letter word that may well describe what occurred. Corporate speak is pretty good at covering that up by spinning events and conditions into something different though.

Question; wasn’t there quite a falling out among the Dronecode developers group a bit over a year ago?

Last edited:
It looks like this file is still the latest gimbal f/w even though the link says it is 1.3.1. Does anybody have the 1.3.1 firmware available please?
Just an FYI, I made a support ticket with Yuneec (US) describing my gimbal problem after the update and they want me to send it in for repairs. I can't believe a firmware update would break it to the point that it needs repaired, but that's what they are suggesting.

Just an FYI, I made a support ticket with Yuneec (US) describing my gimbal problem after the update and they want me to send it in for repairs. I can't believe a firmware update would break it to the point that it needs repaired, but that's what they are suggesting.
That seems strange, Yuneec UK are saying there is a firmware update on the way next week to cure that problem and you have the US saying that it is broken and needs repairs, but par for the course with them I suppose....Going to be a lot of E90's going in for repair if that is the case.
I bet they will just hold on to it until the new firmware is available then send it back to you saying they have fixed it ;)

Reactions: PatR
Watch out for e90 gimbal vibration if you have it after 1.3 update. It will interfere with the acceleration calibration. Check the slip ring wires for chaffing there is a decent risk of the bare wires being exposed and if so there is a good chance of a shorting out the mainboard.

Here you have the previous version. Frimware 1.31.0 of the E90 gimbal.

You have to delete the.TXT extension and then delete the version number before copying to the root of the SD card. The file name would be "gimbal.yuneec". Insert the SD card into the E90 and switch on the aircraft. Wait until it is updated and the green light for connection to our ST16S comes on.

Note: I add it to the first post to make it easier to find.

Attachments

• gimbal(1.31.0).yuneec.txt
    108.3 KB · Views: 7
Here you have the previous version. Frimware 1.31.0 of the E90 gimbal.

You have to delete the.TXT extension and then delete the version number before copying to the root of the SD card. The file name would be "gimbal.yuneec". Insert the SD card into the E90 and switch on the aircraft. Wait until it is updated and the green light for connection to our ST16S comes on.

Note: I add it to the first post to make it easier to find.

I've tried "updating" to this previous firmware per these instructions, but the firmware remains the newer version. At this point I'm not sure if I should wait to see if new firmware is released this week as others have suggested, or if I should just send it in for repair as Yuneec US has suggested. Its pretty ridiculous that a firmware update would break the gimbal.

I've tried "updating" to this previous firmware per these instructions, but the firmware remains the newer version. At this point I'm not sure if I should wait to see if new firmware is released this week as others have suggested, or if I should just send it in for repair as Yuneec US has suggested. Its pretty ridiculous that a firmware update would break the gimbal.

I imagine you've done some wrong steps, I've used that file without a problem.

I've been on vacation for 3 days at Easter in very bad weather. With winds of 60km/h or more. I've still flown 5 batteries testing this update. I'll tell you what my experience has been.

The longest flight was 14 minutes, normal with the strong wind, but I think the battery management has improved a lot.

Every time I calibrated, I got an EKF error. Then it worked well, has not given me any trouble.

One of the calibrations, the legs were raised and there was no way to lower them. Even the trick of turning the drone on upside down failed. After numerous attempts I managed to get them off again.

On the last flight the flight mode was blocked in RTL and I had to restart 3 times both aircraft and ST16S to disable the RTL. It looked like there were 14 satellites and it had 3D Fixed but it didn't change the flight mode.

There are still a lot of things to improve, but to see in first person and not in videos how the H520 behaves in strong winds is impressive. Mechanically, I think the H520 is a champion in this conditions. The gimbal had problems spinning, with the previous version, but in such conditions you can say that it is normal. These are not conditions for flying. It is essential to fly in Angle or GPS mode. It was to put it in manual mode and the drone would go out at full speed, the wind would drag it anywhere. In GPS mode and fighting the wind, he was leaning about 40 degrees in front of the wind? The stability of the aircraft is second to none, a 10.

I couldn't do any more tests, I was able to fly 5 batteries and I was happy to do it.

you get the ekf error as well. I had to battle with it on my week off in march 10 to the 17. I manage to get around it by slowing down the rotation by hand for the compass. turning over the unit much slower than before but manage not to get any more audible error messages after that. any issues with the acceleration calibration as well. To get mine to go though fully I had to stop the e90 for vibrating. first 12 flights flawless the 13th failed. After body overhaul repairs flights 14th to 32 was smooth with no flight instability at all besides the in flight vibrating e90. was getting 18min to 20 min flight time in low winds 5 to 10 mph. 15 to 16 min in 20 mph winds.

As I live in the UK I am going to send this £4000 + package back as they have sold it and it is not up to purpose. A very useful legal position thanks to the EC.

Will keep you guys posted, but as from now, the 6th April 2018, Yuneec are getting my one back by European consumer laws.

My 3DR, which is totally unsupported, is knocking spots off Yuneec.

With the exception of Mikrokopter, every maker using waypoint flight planning has been trying to emulate (rather poorly) what 3DR did so successfully. It required outside developers to come up with SDK apps for DJI to obtain what they have.

Interesting (or a bit concerning discussion here) - I have do not seem to have the distortion on my E90 that has been displayed by others here. The one benefit I have noticed for industrial work, close to structures, this six rotor design and GPS lock seems to hold posltion much better than my other DJI models (both bigger and smaller..). I have three drones, including the H520, and each one is good at something, this one (at least mine) seems to hold position and handle wind better. But I have not found ONE that does all things well....

Reactions: 10-8
The H520 in stability is hard to beat, it's a beast. And seeing him fighting the wind leaves you with your mouth open :eek:

This is the one big advantage of the six motor design (I have been surprised how much my quads drift) over a quad. Did not notice as much until the inspection profiles were aslking for 3-5 foot distance, then drift is BIG deal.

so the competition has released yet another machine and in the meantime Yuneec sit on their hands and H520 sit on shelves gathering dust, what is going on in Yuneec ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss