Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Venom Pro Dual Settings for H batteries

Thank you for the explanation of chord progression. It well depicted MY ignorance of how musicians perform some of their communications. I suppose it’s something I could have researched on line but as I chose not to your info was enlightening.

As for balance charging, you should always balance charge. Matching the cell voltage with each charge helps protect them against over or under charging, which extends their useful life. A multi cell battery tends to use cells at higher voltage to back feed cells of lower voltage, which increases heat and internal resistance at the cells with a higher voltage. It’s a destructive process that over time ruins the battery. The remaining headroom you mentioned when using a balance cycle is small and insignificant to available flight time.

Reactions: h1pst3r88
I doubt this leads to any conforting or informative replies.

o_O

Not a big deal. With any luck the OP will elect to look into the referenced info threads to gain more comprehension of batteries and their care in order to maximize functionality and safety. As the Venom charger has the ability to handle multiple battery chemistries, looking through its documentation might increase the charger’s usefulness as well.

As Yuneec tends to drop products from their parts support every couple years or so there will be a need to source different batteries for the H. As those sources likely won’t have proprietary cases, having the knowledge and understanding of how our batteries and chargers work will become more important.

Since I haven’t bought Yuneec branded batteries in some time I’m curious about the manufacture dates of “new” batteries being shipped with new kits. The IR of a new battery is indicative of the age.

Thank you for the explanation of chord progression. It well depicted MY ignorance of how musicians perform some of their communications. I suppose it’s something I could have researched on line but as I chose not to your info was enlightening.

As for balance charging, you should always balance charge. Matching the cell voltage with each charge helps protect them against over or under charging, which extends their useful life. A multi cell battery tends to use cells at higher voltage to back feed cells of lower voltage, which increases heat and internal resistance at the cells with a higher voltage. It’s a destructive process that over time ruins the battery. The remaining headroom you mentioned when using a balance cycle is small and insignificant to available flight time.

Thanks, Pat, for the info about always using balance charging... that's exactly what I'll do.

-Chris

I was going to send a private message to PatR, but then figured public mea culpas are better for the soul.

In my exuberance to take flight, I leaned on the experts in this forum more than I would normally do when it comes to learning my way into a new arena.

Pat was trying to help me while also, in his own way, encouraging me to really educate myself when it comes to the complexities of this hobby -- understanding battery chemistry and maintenance, specifically.

I should not have taken umbrage to his efforts at assisting me and for that, Pat, I apologize. You are quite obviously a smart and committed guy and I, like others before and after me, can learn a lot from you.

I appreciate your efforts and your patience.

-Chris

The short answer for the typhoon H battery.
cell type: LiPo
charge current: 5.4 amps (less is OK, just takes a little longer)
cell count: 4S 14.8v

The charger will lower the current as the battery reaches full charge.
The charger will auto stop at 16.8v (4.2 per cell)

If you're worried about fire, place the LiPo in a steel coffee can while charging.FILE0032.JPG

Last edited:
Chris,

I am often taken the wrong way as admittedly my methods can be rough. I hope to get the attention of those new to this stuff quickly with the intent of assisting understanding. The do it this way or that way method leaves too many doors open for an error that ends up costing much too much. Perhaps part of the reason for the “tough love” comes from being a full scale flight instructor along with mil grade UAV field rep and incident review team member. The flight students had to understand, not just do, before they could solo. The thought of a dead student is one I could not bear. On the military side the mistakes made always started at $150g and went up while leaving those on the ground depending on the coverage fully exposed and blind. So I prefer to teach how to fish so people can eat all the time instead of giving them a fish to tide them over for the day.

I take folks seriously, I really do, and those that show initiative often find they get a lot more assistance where needed afterwards. I appreciate your kind post. It meant more to me than you may really know. I’m looking forward to reading more of your continued progress. In closing, I’m sorry if you thought I was picking on you.

Sureshot,

As you like to use a coffee can for battery charging, which is a good idea, the next time you drive by a construction project where they are installing drywall consider stopping and asking for an 18” square piece of scrap.

The stuff is made from calcinated gypsum and just won’t burn. Even the face paper is fire treated so it makes for a very good fireproof, heat insulating base to set the coffee can on. Something often over looked is how much heat tolerance the surface a charging battery is resting on.

Chris,

I am often taken the wrong way as admittedly my methods can be rough. I hope to get the attention of those new to this stuff quickly with the intent of assisting understanding. The do it this way or that way method leaves too many doors open for an error that ends up costing much too much. Perhaps part of the reason for the “tough love” comes from being a full scale flight instructor along with mil grade UAV field rep and incident review team member. The flight students had to understand, not just do, before they could solo. The thought of a dead student is one I could not bear. On the military side the mistakes made always started at $150g and went up while leaving those on the ground depending on the coverage fully exposed and blind. So I prefer to teach how to fish so people can eat all the time instead of giving them a fish to tide them over for the day.

I take folks seriously, I really do, and those that show initiative often find they get a lot more assistance where needed afterwards. I appreciate your kind post. It meant more to me than you may really know. I’m looking forward to reading more of your continued progress. In closing, I’m sorry if you thought I was picking on you.

Pat, half a life ago I was an honor graduate from Air Force basic training (go 3706th!) and went on to serve at Space Command in the early days of ISR. You are my kind of training instructor and your kick in my a$$ was much needed and spurred me on to get a deeper understanding of this incredibly cool adventure.

I was out yesterday and working on TyFighter's advice to learn to fly by line of sight. I removed the camera and spent two batteries worth of time flying in figure of eights and trying to orient on the horizon based on perception of speed and direction. It was the first time I really felt like the "drone" was an aircraft. It was exhilarating!

Thanks again for everything!

-Chris

Last edited:
Sounds like you’re doing things right and getting the foundation in place before trying to get a head start on the advanced stuff.

Viewing them as “real” aircraft is becoming more important every day. At this level they are “expendable” but risk is there for others on the ground and laws are changing in a direction that will place a lot more responsibility on our shoulders. Funny thing, only a few years ago a lot of military operators of small drones viewed them as “toy airplanes”, and handled operating and maintenance in a cavalier manner. In a way their attitude was worse than that of hobby level operators. It actually took years to change that attitude. At our level the comparative price point could make our stuff appear toy like but they all function pretty much the same way. Ours lacks some of the sophistication of the larger stuff while our operators generally fall a bit short in system and airspace knowledge. We are improving in those areas. Automation makes things easy but the downside of automation creates shortfalls in understanding, and that’s often where troubles begin.

You had quite a career[emoji106]

Hey folks,

My new Venom Pro Dual arrived today and I am hoping that someone who also owns one can share the settings they use for charging, discharging, and storing the TH's batteries -- and also best practices for when I should discharge and put a battery into storage.

Also, when charging the ST16 battery, I assume I need to disconnect and remove it from the controller in order to charge it with the Venom as the venom does not have a USB connection.

Greatly appreciated!!

-Chris
Hi, Just reviewing last weeks favorite posts and went thru the sessions with you and Pat R. So I was wondering, how can I adapt the venom to charge the battery in my acoustic guitar. And where do I get a rechargeable for it. Ok, it was supposed funny, or at least little funny. Really, I have heard both good and bad about the venom charger and have held off getting one although it is on my wish list. Most of the good I heard from sales people, and most of the bad from people who were maybe a little new or challenged in using it. That would be me, new to Rc's in general, and the battery in my acoustic is not rechargable so I havent had the need before to look a lot further into it. I would like to hear what you think of the venom after you have used it for a month or so. And when the battery in my acoustic dies, I just grab the PRS, it plugs right into an amp that plugs right into the wall.

Thanks
Bill

The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.

The short answer for the typhoon H battery.
cell type: LiPo
charge current: 5.4 amps (less is OK, just takes a little longer)
cell count: 4S 14.8v

The charger will lower the current as the battery reaches full charge.
The charger will auto stop at 16.8v (4.2 per cell)

If you're worried about fire, place the LiPo in a steel coffee can while charging.View attachment 11996

I have seen a Lion cell the size of a credit card and about 4mm thick burn through a 1/4" stainless steel plate. A hole directly under the cell developed and the red-hot steel had drops dripping on the floor. This was a safety test for prototype cells. I don't know what a coffee can may do. Just be thankful for the electronics in the batteries to prevent most of these issues.

That’s the reason for a piece of drywall. As asbestos is no longer used or readily available, a small piece of sheetrock makes a great insulator. A ceramic tile will also work, but not as well. Put an oxy/acetylene torch on a piece of 5/8” sheetrock and get back to me on how long it took to burn through. It’s what residential and commercial fire codes specify to create a 1 hour fire rating between your home and an attached garage or fire barrier between commercial units.

An earlier helping hand at the end of the arm reference could be taken a lot of ways;). As for how a Venom or other after market charger can handle different battery types, just scroll through the battery chemistry menu, select what’s appropriate, and make up charge leads that will link up to the battery connector. Most of the better chargers will handle lead acid, lipo, lion, nicd, nimh, and with alterations to charge time, charge rate, and mA input, some other types as well. The secret to maximizing charger versatility is in learning about the different battery chemistries and their associated requirements.

They all function pretty much the same, and generally use the same nomenclature. The cheap ones don’t last long and often won’t handle very large capacity batteries all that well. The good ones will last years when used correctly. Venom is, IMO, about middle of the road and works well for batteries under 10k mA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval