Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video - How to get an extra 2000 foot flight range on the Typhoon H

Cool, Cap.
If you have a new ST-16 available (2 ants on top), it would be interesting to do the same test...???

Once again excellent work. You go to the head of the class as always. You make it a lot of fun and entertaining for us more somber types.

Thanks for your neat videos!

Reactions: JohnL
Cool, Cap.
If you have a new ST-16 available (2 ants on top), it would be interesting to do the same test...???
Do you mean the ST16 plus with 3 antennas that comes with the Typhoon H Pro? My guess is the range would be slightly more. With the current 2 antenna ST16, the 3rd antenna is apparently hidden under the plastic. In the video, you can see that I cut out a rectangle in the cardboard to permit that antenna to work (didn't wish to cover it).

Reactions: Rayray
One could do a half decent 3D print of one of these... cool stuff! THANKS

When you posted about the Egg Blaster prior, I didn't have any egg cartons but I did have a small USPS flat rate box I finangled into something like yours. Haven't tested it yet. Well now I decided to pull the foil off and actually glue it down. st16-2.jpg ST16.jpg st16-1.jpg

Last edited:
One item I should mention is that when you are flying your Typhoon at a far off distance. If you lose the video
When you posted about the Egg Blaster prior, I didn't have any egg cartons but I did have a small USPS flat rate box I finangled into something like yours. Haven't tested it yet. Well now I decided to pull the foil off and actually glue it down. View attachment 2926 View attachment 2927 View attachment 2928
Cool! You'll certainly achieve additional range. Just be certain to ensure the box doesn't press against the Start/Stop button by accident.

I used a glue stick to attach the aluminum foil to the cardboard, then cut out all the holes.

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
One item I should mention is that when you are flying your Typhoon at a far off distance. If you lose the video

Cool! You'll certainly achieve additional range. Just be certain to ensure the box doesn't press against the Start/Stop button by accident.

I used a glue stick to attach the aluminum foil to the cardboard, then cut out all the holes.

Thanks CAPT, I just broke out the glue gun and it attached so much better. Definitely don't want it to press the stop buttom :)

CAPT - Very interesting test carried out and the results you gained with your Typhoon H, I have only carried one test for range myself this was across open farmland with the odd tree in the fields and the distance I achieved 5384 ft approx altitude of 150 ft but I stopped and turned around because any further it would have meant crossing a road it may have been able to go further but for safety reasons I did not, I noted that after turning the H around and heading back to home position after about 75 ft of distance traveled I lost telemetry data then video connection for a couple of seconds as soon as I gained altitude of 200 ft all data back including video connection, now my typhoon H like your is standard everything apart from the firmware was the previous std version.

My question do think some of range problems that are occurring with some users are due to flying in more built up areas where there is more wifi signals.

I noticed on your video there was some buildings behind you which may have been transmitting wifi signals and a few building along your flight path, Whilst I'm trying to understand how I managed a far greater distance than your first part of your test of 3714 ft and originally at lower altitude of 150 ft albeit when I turned to come back I did lose connection briefly until I gained altitude to 200 ft.

The only explanation regarding the range difference I can think of the test when you was not using your egg box, my flight with exception of only one building in sight in any direction and that defiantly was not transmitting any wifi signals, this would maybe explain the difference of your first test of 3714 ft to my 5384 ft, but your egg box trial was truly amazing and achieving 5751 ft distance.

CAPT - Very interesting test carried out and the results you gained with your Typhoon H, I have only carried one test for range myself this was across open farmland with the odd tree in the fields and the distance I achieved 5384 ft approx altitude of 150 ft but I stopped and turned around because any further it would have meant crossing a road it may have been able to go further but for safety reasons I did not, I noted that after turning the H around and heading back to home position after about 75 ft of distance traveled I lost telemetry data then video connection for a couple of seconds as soon as I gained altitude of 200 ft all data back including video connection, now my typhoon H like your is standard everything apart from the firmware was the previous std version.

My question do think some of range problems that are occurring with some users are due to flying in more built up areas where there is more wifi signals.

I noticed on your video there was some buildings behind you which may have been transmitting wifi signals and a few building along your flight path, Whilst I'm trying to understand how I managed a far greater distance than your first part of your test of 3714 ft and originally at lower altitude of 150 ft albeit when I turned to come back I did lose connection briefly until I gained altitude to 200 ft.

The only explanation regarding the range difference I can think of the test when you was not using your egg box, my flight with exception of only one building in sight in any direction and that defiantly was not transmitting any wifi signals, this would maybe explain the difference of your first test of 3714 ft to my 5384 ft, but your egg box trial was truly amazing and achieving 5751 ft distance.

Certainly the environment you're flying in, along with the time of day, and a pile of other factors, are all going to affect range. The less interference of any type (human or nature) the better the communication distance. The range you achieved is most likely far above the average limit the Typhoon pilots (without hardware assistance) have been able to get, unless they found themselves in the perfect environment to fly with zero man made or environmental interference. When you achieved your distance, were you using the latest September firmware?

I didn't mention it in my video, but with my egg carton I could have gone even farther. When I lost the video signal, I still had an excellent communication link (see graphic below... note the communication icon). If you have 3 to 4 bars showing on that icon, you have a good connection and can easily reestablish it if the connection is lost just by moving the controller slightly (either left or right). I didn't bother going even farther for this video as the video was just designed to show that range can be easily extended with a simple home made device. I'm sure we will have forum members on here who create their own egg carton/cardboard box device and obtain a range in the 6000 to 8000 feet distance.

Screenshot_2016-09-05-10-42-37.jpg

In this video I use a very old home made method of increasing the flight range of the Typhoon H. I have the latest firmware update installed.

Warning... Do not try this without having a full battery. Also, please check with your spouse before you destroy a full carton of eggs. :)

LOL hahahahaha wooot! I just fell out of my chair! Luv ya Capt'n

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
I like flying at Lake Huron. There are always large freighters way, way out there. My LR copters will go the distance no problem (or I fly missions), but no good cameras on them. I'm definitely going to try this. I wonder if already having the LR antennas if this would increase their range as well. I wouldn't push the battery more, just want insurance with a stronger signal.

CAPT- In answer to your question I was flying the previous firmware version, and as you pointed out I must be lucky to fly in a area that appears to be free from any spurious wifi signals to interfere with the range, I personally have not found any difference in range at different times of day or places I have flown from, but they all have one thing in common they are fairly remote isolated places which I guess is all contributing towards a strong clean wifi signal.

I would point out that I don't fly those stated distances but on that occasion I did which was comforting to know it is capable without losing a connection.

I did today fly with the latest firmware with no problems whatsoever but only went 550ft away at 200ft altitude it was way to blustery to try any further or try any of the new features added.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval