Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Settings vs. Photo Settings

I just noticed that this thread was started as a Typhoon H discussion. I am sorry but I don't have the H and have been speaking about the Typhoon 4k. I guess there are several differences in the two camera's. Like being able to take a photo while in Video Mode at resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 60fps. You cannot do that with the 4k. Can you do that with the H?

According to info on the Yuneec US Website, don't both platforms use the CGO3? I have never tried to take photos
in video mode... have always switched to photo mode to get a full 4000x3000 image at 12 MP. And as far as the
claim that Peau lenses can do 16 MP... well the size of the sensor doesn't change, but as I stated in a previous post
in this thread, an increased level of detail and sharpness does increase final file size.

But the megapixel figure is strictly off of the area of the final max image size. What sharpness will do is increase
the amount of digital information those pixels will contain. A badly focused lens will still yield a 4000x3000 image
on that sensor, so strictly speaking it is still a 12MP photo. But the amount of digital information in that photo will
be significantly less. It is the same reason that you lose detail when you increase the compression of a JPG.
A specific file size can only hold so much digital info.

Last edited:
I just noticed that this thread was started as a Typhoon H discussion. I am sorry but I don't have the H and have been speaking about the Typhoon 4k. I guess there are several differences in the two camera's. Like being able to take a photo while in Video Mode at resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 60fps. You cannot do that with the 4k. Can you do that with the H?

I have not paid much attention to that with the H, I don't recall there being any down grading when shooting a still while in video mode. I have a 4k Chroma, which is the same camera set up as the Typhoon 4k so I understand where you are coming from with that one.

According to info on the Yuneec US Website, don't both platforms use the CGO3? I have never tried to take photos in video mode... have always switched to photo mode to get a full 4000x3000 image at 12 MP............

Good to know that there are not any differences in the H and 4k. It gets confusing when helping people. You have to ask which Model they are talking about.

I always shoot in DNG which can be selected for PHOTO MODE captures. When you capture an image while in VIDEO MODE you have no choice. It will save in JPG Mode.

DNG will give you more control and more pixels if you look at the chart I referenced. I have already been thru all the testing with this camera.

Good to know that there are not any differences in the H and 4k. It gets confusing when helping people. You have to ask which Model they are talking about.

I always shoot in DNG which can be selected for PHOTO MODE captures. When you capture an image while in VIDEO MODE you have no choice. It will save in JPG Mode.

DNG will give you more control and more pixels if you look at the chart I referenced. I have already been thru all the testing with this camera.

OK, I don't think that's true. The H has the CGO3+ which is a different camera to the CGO3. I don't believe the recent firmware updates for auto modes apply to the older CGO3 camera, and with the 4K you don't get live histogram?

However, it does behave similarly - in video mode you get HD (1920 x 1080) photos in JPG format and in photo mode you can get JPG or RAW (dng) (or both) in 4000 x 3000 (4:3) resolution.

Note that the ST-16 stores FPV video and photo at the same time, though in lower resolution. In particular it's worth noting that FPV photos are given a 16:9 aspect ratio which squashes the original photo in to a slightly strange shape. It's good enough for reviewing the pictures and video you took though.

The 16Mp designation on the Peau lenses refers to the 'theoretical resolution' - i.e. the maximum sensor resolution the lens can support. If you used the same lens with a 20 megapixel sensor, you'd get poor results, with the lens being the limiting factor.

Good to know that there are not any differences in the H and 4k. It gets confusing when helping people. You have to ask which Model they are talking about. DNG will give you more control and more pixels if you look at the chart I referenced. I have already been thru all the testing with this camera.

Just for the benefit of those who are reading this and not as familiar with the photographic theory aspects,
it would always be recommended to use the DNG setting rather then the JPG setting, if you are going to do any
post processing to the image at a later time. This will give you the most detail available in terms of both pixel
resolution and no compression loss.

If you are giving the client the photos at the time of the shoot, it would be best to take advantage of the recent
firmware upgrade capabilities and save as both formats, so you can keep the DNGs for yourself, and give the
client the JPGs.

Also note, (and it took me a bit to figure this out), that you can only change the DNG/JPG
setting in Photo mode. In Video mode, the choice is grayed out.

Last edited:
Just for the benefit of those who are reading this and not as familiar with the photographic theory aspect of this,
it would always be recommended to use the DNG setting rather then the JPG settting, if you are going to do any
post processing to the image at a later time. This will give you the most detail available in terms of both pixel
resolution and no compression loss.

If you are giving the client the photos at the time of the shoot, it would be best to take advantage of the recent
firmware upgrade capabilities and save as both formats, so you can keep the DNGs for yourself, and give the
client the JPGs.

Also note, (and it took me a bit to figure this out), that you can only change the DNG/JPG
setting in Photo mode. In Video mode, the choice is grayed out.
I now have it set to dng and jpg. That way i can view p8cs right away and still beable yo make good improvements

Bill W.

In Photo Mode it is 4:3. And you can only snap a photo in video mode at 1920x1080 60fps and below. You will get an error message otherwise. This chart outlines those settings.

CGO3 Video Modes Quick Reference

Wingshooter,

I just put my H through a couple of photo/video mode experiments to see what happened. I went back and forth a few times to observe consistency, using .jpg as the image type.

The H can and does take still photos while in video mode with set video resolutions of 1080-60 and 4k-25. It will not take a still picture while recording video though.

In photo mode at either 1080-60 or 4k-25 it of course will take photos but should you elect to do a video or accidentally push the video start button it will start a video and automatically move the video/photo icon from photo to video. You have to manually re-select the photo icon again if you want to return to photo mode.

Interestingly, in both 1080 and 4k video modes, when taking a still picture in video mode the resolution defaults to 1920x1080. In 1080 video mode that generated a 164kb photo. In 4k video mode it generated a 176kb photo of the same image. Not enough difference to write home about.

With video resolution set to 1080-60 or 4k-25, in photo mode still images are generated with much higher resolution, with both producing 4000x3000pxl photos. However, with video settings at 1080-60 and using photo mode the the image is a 1.7mb file size, but with video set to 4k and using photo mode the photo produced a 3.67mb file size. More than double the data. All images were of the same subject, taken indoors, with a stationary H. No alterations to gimbal position were made from start to finish. All photos were .jpg since there was no desire to post process pictures of a dog biscuit box on the living room floor.

Reviewing the file sizes between photos taken with video resolutions set differently confirms what I had only noted via quality of image appearance previously. There is much more detail collected for a photo when video resolution is set to 4k while using photo mode. Ultimately, the end result of the experiment established that a photo can be taken while in video modes with the Typhoon H, but they will always be at a much lower resolution. However, I did not try video modes <1080-60. I'll leave that for others that have an H.

Last edited:
The Typhoon 4k will not take a picture while in video mode at 1920x1080 60fps. Looks like the H will.

Are you referring to a Q500 4K? Yes... same looking camera but different specs and the H has more choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes the Q500 4k.

While my H was in warranty, I picked up a Q that someone bought and crashed and local hobby shop clerk took back instead of telling them too bad... call Yuneec. I got it for cost and did end popping on a motor and an esc but that's it. I thought the camera was the same as well. And while I can choose same settings of 30 FPV, I really like 1080/1920/60 for most HD I shoot. There is not enough demand for 4K yet for the jobs I've done. I actually like the Q simplicity for lesser jobs and use it to scout shots and review with the client before setting up my H flight plan. I also find it does better with night shots for some reason. It's good package and way less stressful to fly. Still way better then a go pro to my eye so even with its lesser selection it's still got a lot of good resolution options.

The Typhoon 4k will not take a picture while in video mode at 1920x1080 60fps. Looks like the H will.

FYI, neither would the Chroma 4k. 1080 has to be bumped up to 120fps for a still shot to be taken in video mode. I have both the Chroma and the H and the cameras are a little different in function. The Chroma 4k is the same camera as on the Typhoon 4k.

I also agree with Craig about the CGO-3 4k. It does a pretty darn good job once one learns how to make use of the settings. The gimbal is, IMO, equal to the H.

FYI, neither would the Chroma 4k. 1080 has to be bumped up to 120fps for a still shot to be taken in video mode. I have both the Chroma and the H and the cameras are a little different in function. The Chroma 4k is the same camera as on the Typhoon 4k.

I also agree with Craig about the CGO-3 4k. It does a pretty darn good job once one learns how to make use of the settings. The gimbal is, IMO, equal to the H.

Curious Pat, I went on my own to out fit Chroma for go pro due to investment in 350qx carry over. I now wish I could put a CGO back on there but I always was hung up on the right stick becoming tilt. My stubbornness to make my Dx9 and all my voice telemetry work on the Chroma cost me a lot of $$ and I could never get rid of side to side movement during descents. Now that I've got the Q, it does not do that so my question is how steady is the video with the Chroma 4K?
I could easily get rid of the fy mini gimbal and go pro and put a CGO on. Or I'm thinking I could learn to FPV via go pro as it's on a fat shark transmitter and spoken telemetry. Hate having a bird not working and it's way to customized by me to recoup in a sale. But man the things I learned on my that rig...

Regarding video stability with the CGO-3 4K equipped Chroma, my experience with it had it very close to if not the same as the H. Video latency is terrible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding video stability with the CGO-3 4K equipped Chroma, my experience with it had it very close to if not the same as the H. Video latency is terrible though.

I would probably view the camera via the app on a pad but I don't need to see it in real time. I've visual flown for a long time and I'm pretty good at getting shots with Blade drones and no monitors. I'm going to check into it.

It's actually a pretty good little rig. It was heavily over priced in the beginning but if you weren't trying to fly FPV with it, something I don't do anyway, it definitely got the job done. The format integrates seamlessly with the H camera product.

Personally, I think Yuneec made a mistake in discontinuing it. Price it down to around $500.00 and it's where those buying an H for their first camera ship should have been starting out. The H is a lot more than FNG's can safely fully understand or handle. Typhoon 4K is another good starter rig if priced right.

The Breeze is a different breed of cat since it uses a phone for control and targets a "know nothing" group that probably don't want or need advanced features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ok9studio