Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Waypoints!!??

Reaction score
Any word on if or when waypoints will be available for the typhoons? Or am I missing something and there's already a way to set em?

Reactions: ivan7777
I sure hope that's not true.. : /

Peter Ellin of Aces Deals had an interview in late May with the head honcho of Yuneec and he was very specific in saying they were not going to develop any additional capabilities for the Typhoon platform. He was particularly emphatic on the "no waypoints" thing. So, sad but true (so far). The video is buried somewhere in the Q500 facebook group, I'll try to dig it up.

Very glad I found this forum. I was supposed to collect (and pay for) a 500+ tonight. Only found the forum because I was curious if I should opt for the 4k instead, although that appears to be a 500 not a 500+. Regardless, waypoint functionality, is something that I really wanted in a drone, so the lack of it and with no hope of it being added is a show stopper for me. Thanks.

If they can make it happen with a firmware update, it would be a really competitor for DJI. If not possible they better make it happen ASAP with the next version, offering better distance, speed, waypoints, and retractable landing gear with a 360 camera that can be connected to the second transmitter. And sell it around 1500 USD and than DJI will start to worry. Even now, its a very nice package but needs more polish! I hope Yuneec guys are innovative enough and are reading rcgroups etc.. When they do it, I ll buy without second thoughts.. Otherwise although it does not offer that much accesories and etc, even Phantom 3 Standart offers better distance, better speed, with an acceptable camera and very intuitive app for Apple and Android for FPV and Waypoints at 699 USD which is half of Yuneec price.. Not everyone cares about a bag or steadygrip although I do, but distance and waypoints are my (and most enhousiast quad pilots) priority nowadays.. I belive in Yuneec guys and waiting for 2016 for a Yuneec 4K V2 with these features or similar and more.. Hope IBM deal also help them to accomplish this!

Reactions: david22
I was told by a Yuneec rep at a tradeshow this summer that they are developing a base station type app so you can program waypoints. he said it would be released sometime this fall. I would have one of these in my stable if they had the capability of programming a survey.

Reactions: cheebs
I was told by a Yuneec rep at a tradeshow this summer that they are developing a base station type app so you can program waypoints. he said it would be released sometime this fall. I would have one of these in my stable if they had the capability of programming a survey.

For the Q or for the Tornado? I sure hope I'm proven wrong!

That would be AWESOME if true. Waypoints and POI are two capabilities I really miss with the Q500.

New member here! Fingers crossed as well! Although I'm pretty sure I just read a former Yuneec employee (Brad) on Facebook say positively that waypoints, POI, other awesome features won't be coming our way. Would really love it if they do though. Would make the quad that much more fun to fly with!

I have found myself needing waypoints more and more. One BIG thing that keeps me from adding a Phantom to my "fleet" is that dreadful fisheye lens technology they use. I went to their page again to check on waypoints, and remembered why I bought a Typhoon: because the Q500 doesn't have those awful curved images.

You could get a P2 with a Zenmuse or other gimbal, no follow me, etc though.
Also, the curve can be removed with software post processing.

Reactions: dirkclod
I own both the Q500 4K and a Phantom 3 Pro, the Phantom is FAR more advanced than the Q500...I bought it hoping that its design and size would be more stable in light winds etc, but the Phantom has it beat even in that category. The only thing the Q500 is a little better at is camera clarity. Other than that, its half the speed, has less functionality in the app/screen and is way less stable "in flight"...and since DJI added waypoints, follow me, and POI...there is really no advantage to the Q500 other than the fact that it "looks" better...

Reactions: DroneEnthusiast_FTW
The Phantom is a great flyer, but the image quality is just unacceptable. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a Phantom after comparing the image quality. Q500 4k was just too much better.

Did something change? The Q500 image was fuzzy all around the edges. Has that issue been fixed?

I have seen other mentions of this but here is a quote from PCMag -
The Q500 captures steady 4K video when in flight, but the video is noticeably blurry as you move toward the edges of the frame.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey guys, I was looking at the ST10 remote over the weekend and had an idea for a hack to implement waypoints and POI. Since the transmitter sends its GPS location to the Q and the Q follows that location, is there a way we could spoof the GPS coordinates so that the Q flies to the spoofed coordinate? And once it has gotten there, spoof another coordinate and it flies there? Then for POI, spoof a single coordinate with WatchMe activated and "orbit" around the spoofed location? The controller runs Android so I'm not sure how all that data is gathered and transmitted, but if we could look into the app files we might find some clues and a way to inject the spoofed GPS. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Gordonk2020
If they can make it happen with a firmware update, it would be a really competitor for DJI. If not possible they better make it happen ASAP with the next version, offering better distance, speed, waypoints, and retractable landing gear with a 360 camera that can be connected to the second transmitter. And sell it around 1500 USD and than DJI will start to worry. Even now, its a very nice package but needs more polish! I hope Yuneec guys are innovative enough and are reading rcgroups etc.. When they do it, I ll buy without second thoughts.. Otherwise although it does not offer that much accesories and etc, even Phantom 3 Standart offers better distance, better speed, with an acceptable camera and very intuitive app for Apple and Android for FPV and Waypoints at 699 USD which is half of Yuneec price.. Not everyone cares about a bag or steadygrip although I do, but distance and waypoints are my (and most enhousiast quad pilots) priority nowadays.. I belive in Yuneec guys and waiting for 2016 for a Yuneec 4K V2 with these features or similar and more.. Hope IBM deal also help them to accomplish this!
Wow, you just described the new Typhoon H, only off with the price point. I hope they don't abandon the Q500 platform and make some of the "H" goodies available with a Firmware update.

Reactions: RonniB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval