Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Weighing buying a Typhoon H with RealSense. Looking for help

Reaction score
So right now I am in "need" of a new multi. I have an old gen 1 Phantom I am going to sell, and throw a few of those bucks at something new. I have it narrowed down to 2 options - Mavic or Typhoon H. So let me throw out the things I'm thinking about and the questions I have, and hopefully you fine folks can help me out.

First off, I found a reputable dealer on eBay for the Typhoon H (good feedback at least), but the price seems too good to be true - $835 for what is labeled " Yuneec Typhoon H 4K Collision Avoidance Hexacopter Drone unique" . Obviously it's missing the term "RealSense".. so I sent the dealer a message asking to clarify. Having said that:
- Am I going to use RealSense often and is it worth getting that feature? I plan on flying in some wooded areas, so there will be obstacles, but I am not going to be doing some deep dive nature hunt through a thick forest.

- What glaring differences am I going to notice if I were to fly a Mavic for a week vs an H for a week?

- If I wanted to eventually fly with goggles, what are my good options out there that would also do head tracking for the camera, if that's even a possibility? I see of course DJI has their goggles, but that's a total package that gets pretty high in price for me. The "reviews" for the Skyview goggles on Yuneecs website is a mix of reviews for EVERY product they sell, so I am not seeing a good review from a confirmed buyer?

- Am I going to be hamstrung by something similar to the geofence? What I don't want is to get to a place where I know there is no overhead traffic and have a limited ceiling or worse, no ability to fly my drone there.

- Is the built-in screen on the TX that good that I would rather use or at least, enjoy that well enough vs using a Mavic and my Galaxy S8 as an addition?

Note: 1080p at 60FPS is more than enough for me now, which I see the Typhoon does 120fps, so I'm good. I am not currently making Hollywood level movies and no plan to.

- Is range for video back to the TX an issue? I really dont plan to have it out beyond 1/2 mile at best.. how is signal penetration if I were to fly it over a field of trees into a clearing where I am standing between the trees with the drone on the other side? Say 200 yards total? (I'm trying to stare at antelope.. lol).

- Waypoints. Ideally I'd like to do some autonomous flying with a quick 10 minute run to a few points using whatever map tech Yuneec uses, is this possible?

Thanks for any information you have!

Std TH has Collision Avoidance. That probably is not a RS version.
Also, if you're going to spend hard-earned dough, buy from a proven source, dealer, where you definitely have return protection.
Today, you might check Best Buy. As for RS, I have it but only use it in Watch or Follow Modes with trees, etc., around. Not useful in Angle Mode, which you will fly in most of the time.

Some of your comments make me question your intent. You can visit our sister forum, DJI Mavic Drone Forum
for Mavic info.

Dont question my intent.. I am being genuine, seriously.
I entirely dislike everything involving DJI's customer service, and I despise them hamstinging my drone with some artificial fencing system that they employ. Plus, it appears I can get the Typhoon for a decent bit less than a Mavic..so that is driving me towards the Typhoon as well. Otherwise, what are you concerned about?

The TH and the DJI Mavic are entirely different drones, making comparisons apples to oranges. Both of them are very good drones.

This forum is for the discussion of Yuneec drones.

I know it's a forum for Yuneec drones. I am trying to discern the differences between the two from people who are Typhoon-smart and likely, smarter than I am regarding the two drones mentioned. The Typhoon seems like a great drone (it's cheaper and I'd rather support the competition to the big company), and I want to make certain I am going to make the right purchasing decision between the two. For starters, when you say apples to oranges.. what is the biggest difference between the two that's noticeable? That's an honest question? 6 vs 4 props? Size seems vastly different but how does that affect aerial photography at 1080p? I imagine that both fly very stable and close to the same performance in that regard. If I said "I'm looking at a 4cylinder Ford Ranger, 1996.. and a 2017 Acura NSX for doing some long drives this summer".. that's apples to oranges to me. I honestly dont know what makes these two drones so different that you'd say apples/oranges... help me out.

I have a Mavic, and I am thinking very hard about adding a Typhoon H (although waiting to see what the H520 comes in at) to me "Fleet"--
The mavic fits in my cycling backpack so it sees a lot of use--portability--I can get to a lot of very interesting areas via mountain bike.

Why then a Typhoon H or H520--Stability in wind. The mavic really is a great little drone, but its small size means when I get to much more than a breeze, the high wind warning on the system kicks in--Joined the forum to learn a bit before purchasing.

Reactions: Rayray
My $.02

Have both, the Typhoon for just over one year, had problems at first but it has been a great Drone for my purposes.

Have had the Mavic since just before memorial day this year 2017.

As has been stated before, these are two different craft.

I use my drones for just flying around when i get home from work or go someplace and just fly for fun. I just watch the videos once and rarely do anything else with them, no commercial use, nor any intention of doing so.

My likes about the Typhoon H are the way it has never let me done, easy to fly, gets videos and photos acceptable to me and just a fun drone to fly. I also like the controller, not having to purchase a separate phone or tablet to fly. The controls and switches all fall into place and are easy to use. I am used to where everything is have no problem not looking at the screen. I like the fact that I can view my flight after each flight if need be. I don't ever use collision avoidance, as I always fly high enough that I don't require it, so the real sense to me would be a waste of money.

My dislikes with the Typhoon H is first of all the limited range. I live and fly in a hilly part of the state and my range is usually less than 2500 feet. Trees and the hills get in the way of longer flights, unless I can fly on a cool day and make a run down the valley, in which case I can go to almost 6000 feet flying at 400 feet.

I usually fly out a ways and use RTH to get back and It works flawlessly !

I have been playing with POI, but have not found a "subject" interesting to video around here.

I have never used the other features as of yet.

Size is sometimes an issue. The Typhoon H and the controller and four batteries make quite a large parcel to carry around, so it is not something I usually carry around. When I do go somewhere it is usually close to home and I place the H in the case with the arms open and just laying in the case open.

Yuneec costumer support has been great for the few times I have used them, great bunch of techs!

My opinion is to just get the basic Typhoon H the cheep case and three extra batteries and go have fun. You can always add Real Sense later if you feel the need for it.

I have thought of flying thru the woods along the creeks around here, but don't think I would get a good GPS Signal and haven't tried it YET !

For the mavic, I have waited a long time for one, it is just a fun toy! Small enough to take anywhere and fun to fly. I like the range around here, almost two miles and it is neat to fly along the ridgelines and watch the video on our 80" Big Screen !

I don't have a sun screen for it and I use an older Ipad 2 mini, and a Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet. It is hard to see in the bright sunlight.

I also think the controller is flimsy compared to the ST16, ( Note that the ST16 is a lot larger and thus more solid )

I also don't like DJI idea of placing restrictions on us, and have not updated since I got the Mavic. I think it flys better than the Typhoon, maybe because of it size, but I can hand catch the Mavic anytime. I can't (read: Don't Dare !) hand catch the Typhoon H. Just don't trust the six spinning props and the Idea of using just one leg to catch with seams scary !

I hand caught my Phantom 2 all the time with no problems ever !

I think the videos is better with the Typhoon H ( I use filters) nicer colors and the focus to me looks sharper on the big screen. It could be that I am more use to the Typhoon H as I don't have that much time on the Mavic. I can't get used to that Touch to Focus thing, again maybe because I am not used to it yet!

I am satisfied with both just for something to play around with.

To me it all comes down to size and portability. Two different Drones.

Price is also a big factor. You can currently get the Typhoon H for $800 plus two extra batteries at $89 ea and the cheap case for $45 for a for just over $1000.

The same bundle for the Mavic Pro would be $1300.

Like most things in life, size or Money !

Flip a coin, you can't go wrong either way !

I was in the same boat and ended up with the Typhoon H.
If I went with the Mavic, I would have had to use another device for flight viewing and it seems that the Mavic likes IOS devices (which I don't have) better than Android. (Some Android devices work but mine is on their "unsupported" list). More $$$ to the final cost.
But the best reason for me was that Carolina Dronz offered a Fourth of July sale on the Typhoon H with RealSense, Pro outfit including two batteries, ST16+ controller, backpack case, the usual extras, and the Wizard for $1199 delivered overnight.

ahh yes.. these are the answers I am looking for, thanks all!!
Seriously, thank you all.

Also on the Mavic forget 1080p @ 60fps, its there but it does not work/usable! I own both too...both are cool beans!

So right now I am in "need" of a new multi. I have an old gen 1 Phantom I am going to sell, and throw a few of those bucks at something new. I have it narrowed down to 2 options - Mavic or Typhoon H. So let me throw out the things I'm thinking about and the questions I have, and hopefully you fine folks can help me out.

First off, I found a reputable dealer on eBay for the Typhoon H (good feedback at least), but the price seems too good to be true - $835 for what is labeled " Yuneec Typhoon H 4K Collision Avoidance Hexacopter Drone unique" . Obviously it's missing the term "RealSense".. so I sent the dealer a message asking to clarify. Having said that:
- Am I going to use RealSense often and is it worth getting that feature? I plan on flying in some wooded areas, so there will be obstacles, but I am not going to be doing some deep dive nature hunt through a thick forest.

- What glaring differences am I going to notice if I were to fly a Mavic for a week vs an H for a week?

- If I wanted to eventually fly with goggles, what are my good options out there that would also do head tracking for the camera, if that's even a possibility? I see of course DJI has their goggles, but that's a total package that gets pretty high in price for me. The "reviews" for the Skyview goggles on Yuneecs website is a mix of reviews for EVERY product they sell, so I am not seeing a good review from a confirmed buyer?

- Am I going to be hamstrung by something similar to the geofence? What I don't want is to get to a place where I know there is no overhead traffic and have a limited ceiling or worse, no ability to fly my drone there.

- Is the built-in screen on the TX that good that I would rather use or at least, enjoy that well enough vs using a Mavic and my Galaxy S8 as an addition?

Note: 1080p at 60FPS is more than enough for me now, which I see the Typhoon does 120fps, so I'm good. I am not currently making Hollywood level movies and no plan to.

- Is range for video back to the TX an issue? I really dont plan to have it out beyond 1/2 mile at best.. how is signal penetration if I were to fly it over a field of trees into a clearing where I am standing between the trees with the drone on the other side? Say 200 yards total? (I'm trying to stare at antelope.. lol).

- Waypoints. Ideally I'd like to do some autonomous flying with a quick 10 minute run to a few points using whatever map tech Yuneec uses, is this possible?

Thanks for any information you have!
HELLO
I HAVE BOTH TYPHOON H MODELS
ONE WITH REALSENSE AND ONE WITHOUT.
I PREFER THE ONE WITHOUT REALSENSE.
I DO NOT TRUST THE REALSENSE VERSION.
I HAVE MANY REASONS WHY.
THE REGULAR ONE JUST WITH THE OBS [ 2 EYES IN FRONT] IS FINE. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDED ON.
KEITH

All caps??

Most that buy Real Sense rarely use it. It winds up being extra dead weight and a reduction in flight time. Think hard about how often you would use it before buying it.

All caps??

Most that buy Real Sense rarely use it. It winds up being extra dead weight and a reduction in flight time. Think hard about how often you would use it before buying it.

A lot of people discount the RS. I like using it and it’s the one that makes the Typhoon H unique (no pun intended!) from all the drones. Other drones stop midair, RS makes it smarter and continue its work. It’s like ABS, ppl hate it on sports cars but not everyone can brake like the pros.

Get the one with the RS. Turn it off if you later don’t need it.

I have both and here’s my feedback

Range and battery life, goes to the MP

Looks goes to the TH. Iooove carbon fiber!! The MP looks like any quad out there

Ease of flying is a toss up. You’ll look more like a pro with the TH with the ST16 though

Portability goes to the MP. They could had designed the TH backpack a little better, More aerodynamic or just nicer. It looks like you’re lugging a house

Accessories goes to the MP. I only found ND filters for the TH.

Speed goes to the TH, But nimbleness goes to MP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis