Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What do you, or the FAA, consider VLOS?

Here is what 107.31 says VLOS is:

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

Reactions: Rich_H and BigAl07
@Good time Charlie
By the way, that was a good discussion between us!:)

That's the idea ain't it? If you think your sensibilities may be questionable, it makes sense to question them.

At least there were lenticular clouds to display the turbulence. My fear of mountains is the turbulence you can't see. Then again, never had the opportunity to learn for myself.

That's the idea ain't it? If you think your sensibilities may be questionable, it makes sense to question them.

At least there were lenticular clouds to display the turbulence. My fear of mountains is the turbulence you can't see. Then again, never had the opportunity to learn for myself.
We hit moderate turbulence on the way there, had several hard 90° banks due to the lee ward winds. My head got very personal with the door window.
Mountain training with my instructor. Flying a T-41B

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I can imagine walking around the neighborhood wearing those at night. What response you might encounter? Blue flashing lights?

• Haha
Reactions: JackMTaco
Up until June 1, VLOS means 500 Meters (1640 ft) in Canada. After June 1, then it is as long as you can easily see the drone. In my opinion, that doesn't mean "I can see it as long as I do not look away.... dang, now I can't see it" In my opinion, the 674 M I took it by accident (too involved in the video, not watching the distance on the display0, was far enough.

Last edited:
I thought VLOS meant Visual line of sight. What about those words is not clear, the phrase/acronym is completely self explanatory. If you can see it, you have VLOS, if you cannot see it you do not have VLOS. I fail to see how the 5 mph over the speed limit analogy applies to VLOS. There is no fudging on this one, you either see it or you don't.
The real question you should be asking yourself is "Are you feeling lucky? ...Well are ya???"?

I thought VLOS meant Visual line of sight. What about those words is not clear, the phrase/acronym is completely self explanatory. If you can see it, you have VLOS, if you cannot see it you do not have VLOS.

The FAA adds a bit to that as noted above. It is more than just being able to see a dot in the sky.

Reactions: BigAl07
Even at 500ft lat if you can’t see it, find someone, who can. [emoji1430]

Reactions: PatR and Phaedrus
In the U.K. VLOS is interpreted as having a line of sight of the aircraft such that situational awareness is maintained. If you are able to determine orientation and direction traveled such that you are able to take avoidance actions or return to the GCS without having to look at the screen or initiate RTH then you have VLOS. 500m is the maximum distance one can fly but that is a maximum...if you loose VLOS at 300m, say, then that is your limit.

That is U.K. law. I Imagine that it would be similar in the USA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop