Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What manual settings are you guys using for photos?

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing what some of you photographers are using for your Typhoon H shots? Are you playing with the white balance a lot or more focused on ISO and Shutter speed? Would love to hear your input. I'm trying to fine tune how I shoot stills with the H.

I'm interested in hearing what some of you photographers are using for your Typhoon H shots? Are you playing with the white balance a lot or more focused on ISO and Shutter speed? Would love to hear your input. I'm trying to fine tune how I shoot stills with the H.
ISO/Shutter Speed for me, any light I do in post production !;)

Reactions: Forrestt
Shoot in RAW, Manual mode, set ISO as low as I can to get an acceptable shutter speed to nullify movement, as the lens is f2.8 I have found I can get away with ISO100 most of the time, this need to be considered and I would not want to go below 1/60 second
WB I leave in Auto and then edit in lightroom.

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
Isn't it funny how we speak more about the vehicle then the vehicles purpose: shooting photography.
Are you kidding? ! All that is on here now is-- the camera this and the camera that! It is what it is --OK, I am waiting for a new camera for my H to come out. Until then I just shoot and have fun ! LOL !:rolleyes:

Shoot in RAW, Manual mode, set ISO as low as I can to get an acceptable shutter speed to nullify movement, as the lens is f2.8 I have found I can get away with ISO100 most of the time, this need to be considered and I would not want to go below 1/60 second
WB I leave in Auto and then edit in lightroom.

I don't believe WB is active in the final DNG file. Hence the reason photographers use DNG (RAW) so that WB is selected in post processing.

I don't believe WB is active in the final DNG file. Hence the reason photographers use DNG (RAW) so that WB is selected in post processing.
No that is not correct, at least not when using DSLR's so I must assume the same here. Most professionals shoot RAW, there are exceptions for those that need speed like sports. journalism etc.
WB is just as relevant with RAW because the colour can be critical in a pro shoot, say fashion, architecture or interiors for example. Imagine getting the colour of the dress wrong in a fashion shoot!
If using flash for example then you need to set the WB but still shoot in RAW
Not so important for Landscape, so for that I usually use Auto WB and correct by eye in post because if using a decent RAW processor you can change the WB afterwards so it doesn't matter what setting it is done in.

A sort of related question is... what time of day do you fly? I've tried a few flights around sunset but it's very challenging to capture the light.

Now we're in the full swing of summer (in the UK - it lasts about three days and then we go back to moaning about the weather) we have beautiful blue skies but the high contrast makes it difficult to get the image you want.

A sort of related question is... what time of day do you fly? I've tried a few flights around sunset but it's very challenging to capture the light.

Now we're in the full swing of summer (in the UK - it lasts about three days and then we go back to moaning about the weather) we have beautiful blue skies but the high contrast makes it difficult to get the image you want.
Worst time of the year for landscape photographers. Anytime after about 8am and the light is just too harsh and flat, you really need to be out real early or late. Sunset shots don't have to be pointing at the sun often the best light is if you turn around. Most landscape photographers favour autumn for the colours and misty mornings, winter for the crisp frosty and snow scenes and spring.
Add to that, blue sky photography makes for boring shots unless you are selling holiday brochure images or similar. Usually you need some cloud at least, but what is better than a late evening sinshine against a dark brooding sky?

If you shoot sunset and into the sun the you will usually need to take multiple exposures and blend, the camera just cannot record what the eye can see as far as dynamic range is concerned, also if you wait too long until the sun is below the horizon then you may have a beautiful sky but noy much else. These kind of shots are best over water or architectural work

Reactions: Tuna

I have found the best lighting situation is noon, or when the sun is straight up! Or always to fly with the sun at my back!;)

I'm enjoying this photography talk/lessons. I've always appreciated photography but just generally used the "auto" settings on my camera. I'm ready to learn more at this point and you guys are a great help. Any suggestions for us beginners to learn more? Obviously we need to keep it simple, I don't know half of what you guys are talking about. It sure would be great if one of you pros could one day do a photography video using the H, now that would rock!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz