Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What Type of Drone User Are you?

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I do not believe that you can make these judgements in a neat little package. However, to be a Legal Nerd, Tech Nerd or Gear Nerd, it really does take a special type of person. It also takes on how much you are looking to read up on.

8 Types of Drone Users says quite a bit but does not address all points. What if you are a little of everything? What if you don't identify on the strict definitions of the category? I don't know about others. For me, I am tech nerd all the same.

Tech/Gear Nerd. I bought one Typhoon H Pro last Friday and bought another that did not have the radio transmitter on Sunday. New unit without batteries or props. Can we say overkill for spares?

Great punch line under your response. Well it goes without saying, you can never have enough props or spare batteries.

Tech Nerd. I have only been flying for a couple of months, but I have already read everything there is to learn about my 4K. Already revived a defective battery (Original battery wouldn't charge, cell 2 was too far out of balance). I guess being a retired electronics/ computer & telecommunications tech is to blame.... Yeah, I spent a lot of time in school and apprenticeship (3 Journeyman Certificates)

Last edited:
Tech Nerd. I have only been flying for a couple of months, but I have already read everything there is to learn about my 4K. Already revived a defective battery (Original battery wouldn't charge, cell 2 was too far out of balance). I guess being a retired electronics/ computer & telecommunications tech is to blame.... Yeah, I spent a lot of time in school and apprenticeship (3 Journeyman Certificates)
To have that type of background can really save you alot of heart ache with drones. I always consider this like dealing with a parent when resetting a cable box and they want to get involve but are equally frustrated by the process. It really helps to have that natural curiosity that a techie would have.

Curiosity can be a good thing, or the bane of your existence. "I wonder what makes this this work..." I first bought a SYMA X8C off ebay and it didn't work. After a frustrating time communicating with the seller (and being blocked by paypal from communicating direct) I decided to troubleshoot it myself. I narrowed it down to the receiver board in the drone. The remote works fine. I then ordered 2 new receiver boards (at $15 C each, I decided to get 2 for redundancy). i am still waiting for them to arrive, but in the meantime have purchased a Sharper Image DX2 to practice on, then a Air Hogs Millennium Falcon,(because, you know, who hasn't alway wanted to fly the Falcon) and finally, my Yuneec Q500 4K, 3 extra batteries and another spare set of props. I wasn't able to get one with the case at my local Best Buy so I took some left-over plywood and built a case with a compartment in the lid for papers and extra room on one side for prop guards, a meter, and some tools. Some sanding, varathane, hinges, latches, sheet plastic and a lock for the lid. Cost me $50 total. I had to promise my wife I wouldn't open any more drones. But she can't take away the one I have opened and troubleshot. This to me, is fun.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval