Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why more power

Reaction score
Curious why Yuneec put more powerful engines on the Plus. I never felt the H was underpowered? Does the Plus weigh more?

Under normal or moderate operations the larger motors/propeller combination is more efficient and is quieter. Even though the Plus batteries are physically the same size they actually have a lower mAh rating @5250 but who knows if that is correct. One thing for certain is that you can get about three extra minutes flight time with the Plus over the standard H.

Reactions: AJan
I also think that the increased "wingspan", more powerful motors, larger props and the new flight controller may also conttribute to the calmer flight characteristics and stability in more windy conditions. Everything already suggest its a more refined aircraft over the H.

The increased “stability” of the aircraft is due to the settings used in the FC. A med or large multirotor can go from twitchy to stable, racy to ponderous, simply by altering gains and limits. Yuneec likely “detuned” the Plus to eliminate the complaints they obtained from the quick response to control input with the H. Most seem to prefer the lethargy of Q-500 type of flying over a more “sporty” type of flight. Up until they have a desire to go fast and maneuver tightly at the same time anyway. Over time their skills develop to the point they are no longer reliant on the aircraft to “smooth out” their control inputs and they start looking for something with more control response...

The weight delta between an H and H+ is not enough to justify larger motors and props. What does justify the change in propulsion system is a desire to reduce noise and increase top speed. Noise is reduced as prop tip speed is reduced. Thrust is greater with larger diameter props unless rpm is very high, an area where smaller props work well but don’t generate thrust needed to generate lift for slow flight at low rpm on heavier camera rigs. Larger diameter props require more energy to turn them, so higher output motors with lower kV become desirable. It’s a considerable balancing act.

Last edited:
I haven't flown an H Plus but the reported flight characteristics (stability) over an H make me think its a better camera platform and the new camera is icing on the cake. Time will tell if its more reliable than the H with fewer or no flyaways, compass errors, drifting landings, etc.

One thing I have not yet remarked about, but the word 'stability'brings it to mind; the Plus maintains location in a hover slightly better than the 480. Its too bad there is not a way to let you guys fly this thing for your self - I think most are going to love it immediately. Now its just a matter of building flight time and reliability. Has anyone seen of a Plus failure of any sort?

One thing I have not yet remarked about, but the word 'stability'brings it to mind; the Plus maintains location in a hover slightly better than the 480. Its too bad there is not a way to let you guys fly this thing for your self - I think most are going to love it immediately. Now its just a matter of building flight time and reliability. Has anyone seen of a Plus failure of any sort?
Well, there is this

True, and I did see that. But because there was no definitive answer or reason for the power cut mid flight, I am thinking it is a fluke, or perhaps 'hoping' is a better word. I think as long as we don't begin to see a pattern of failures that would defiantly point to a problem such as in the early days of the 480, we can proceed forward with caution. I think the next major hurdle will be the first firmware update. Thats when we're all going to be in that cereal commercial from the 70's where we get "Mickey" to try it. ;)

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
The part missing from the “bounce” post was how it was assured the battery was correctly seated. Sorry, but many of the power loss stories can be directly attributed to a displaced battery and without a description of how it was known to be properly secured it’s difficult to impossible for readers to know it was so.

Curious why Yuneec put more powerful engines on the Plus. I never felt the H was underpowered?
I'm sure stability and smoothness were factors, but it's mainly to lift that heavy, mainly metal C23 camera, which weighs a lot more than a CGO3+, and is apparently the main reason we can't use the C23 on our standard H's as an upgrade, which is a shame - I'd hoped to be able to upgrade that camera at some point, and the C23 was high on my list when it looked like that might be a possibiliity...

According to Yuneec’s weight numbers, the Plus is less than 2 ounces heavier than an H-480. H Plus; 1995g. H-480; 1950g. 28g/oz...

I did not find a C-23 weight but E-90 weight is listed at 350g. Let's consider the E-90 and C-23 as being the same camera with different labels for the moment. I did find H-480 weight without camera at 1695g, CGO-3+ weight at 255g. H Plus w/o camera weight at 1645g. Add the E-90 weight to H-Plus and we get 1995g, while CGO-3+ and H-480 weights also tally correctly.

A 1.6oz increase in aircraft w/payload weight does not call for a new power system;)

A 1.6oz increase in aircraft w/payload weight does not call for a new power system;)

Thanks for chasing the numbers down, Pat. As you say, it wouldn’t call for a new power system. In all likelihood Yuneec simply used the H520 platform for the H Plus rather than reinventing the wheel again.

Looking at the weight difference between cameras of the H, H Plus and the 520 has me thinking the newer cameras may have a more robust gimbal. Yes, it does seem like the C23 is a rebadged E90 with perhaps different firmware.

A lot of things will likely come to light over the next 4-6 months as hundreds more H Plus pilots share their experiences.

I’m already buoyed by the reports from @Mickeyboo, @oliver, @Ty Pilot and others though.

Hello,
I'm flying with PLUS for 1.5 months, a treat about the progressivity of video shooting (soon some examples with horses and mountain fishing).
I checked the weight of the set: 1980 grs
Having larger engines offers extra torque over the H, resulting in reduced reaction time and fuel consumption. While the weight is greater than the small engines, but the entire propeller / engine is perfect.
For those who own the PLUS, listen to the noise when you make a vertical ascent, you hardly hear it anymore.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Are there specs on the weight of the C23 vs the CGO3+?

As you can see the weight of the C23 is nearly 50% more than that of the CG03+ Somehow, the actual airframe of the Plus is lighter to make up most of the difference even though it is slightly heavier at takeoff than the regular 480.

CG03+ .................... 8.71 Ounces

C23 ........................ 12.07 Ounces

CG03.jpg

C23.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
costimarcos