Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why there are H flying well and other not, after firmware upgrade?

I'll be honest, I'm just guessing at your problems - it's not clear to me what the difference is between one machine and the next and I don't like not knowing :) . It's frustrating to me that I can have a great experience with my drone, yet others have so much trouble.

Well, I had great experiences too, in general. Just lately seems the developers are doing trial and error on our shoulders, trusting and hoping in our beta testing.

Wow, I got totally confused about the 3rd guess. I do not really understand what you are doing or why you are doing it. Perhaps you are trying to reverse-engineer the Typhoon H, or re-engineer it. I wish you luck, obviously you are spending a lot of time doing whatever you are doing.

No, I'm doing nothing esoteric. As I'm used to do those tests I'm searching to rule out stuffs to find the real problem. There are a lot, say too much, false myths and chit chat about stuffs that are just technics.
One of those is all the importance given to compass calibration and another to GPS almanac.
Already wrote about compass, about GPS do a search for almanac. It can have some advantages for warm and hot reboot, but it is not so important with actual receivers. If it has a lock it has a lock, meaning a reliable 3D fix based e.g. on vertical and horizontal dilution (VDOP, HDOP) etc.
If things don't work properly, doing strange dances does not fix problems, but humans have hopes and faiths and try everything = : D

P.s.: edit, forgot to say that if the receiver does not have a backup battery it does not record any almanac. This is a *little* problem with certain GPS receivers that requires more time to have a lock in case of reboot. Does TH GPS have a backup battery? Seems not. In this case one should wait every time 12.5min.

Last edited:
If things don't work properly, doing strange dances does not fix problems, but humans have hopes and faiths and try everything = : D

YIKES! Now you're getting personal. Sometimes I light a candle for Wendy, my #1 drone, and I think it helps. I'm sure of it in fact.

YIKES! Now you're getting personal. Sometimes I light a candle for Wendy, my #1 drone, and I think it helps. I'm sure of it in fact.
I can't tell publicly about my ritual dances, too much embarrassing ... but it seems I did the wrong dance today: it's raining = : DD
Ric

Well, I had great experiences too, in general. Just lately seems the developers are doing trial and error on our shoulders, trusting and hoping in our beta testing.

No, I'm doing nothing esoteric. As I'm used to do those tests I'm searching to rule out stuffs to find the real problem. There are a lot, say too much, false myths and chit chat about stuffs that are just technics.
One of those is all the importance given to compass calibration and another to GPS almanac.
Already wrote about compass, about GPS do a search for almanac. It can have some advantages for warm and hot reboot, but it is not so important with actual receivers. If it has a lock it has a lock, meaning a reliable 3D fix based e.g. on vertical and horizontal dilution (VDOP, HDOP) etc.

P.s.: edit, forgot to say that if the receiver does not have a backup battery it does not record any almanac. This is a *little* problem with certain GPS receivers that requires more time to have a lock in case of reboot. Does TH GPS have a backup battery? Seems not. In this case one should wait every time 12.5min.

Love the part about all the myths and chit chat. I'm not an engineer so I apply simple logic but sometimes even I'll try some of the strange suggestions to see if it helps and then if it does, I'll search for a scientific reason as to why it did help. Even companies like DJI just can't bottle a perfect compass and IMU/GPS calibration into their products. All of their newer products now have dual compass and IMU calibrations so that if one goes wonky it will default to the backup. This sort of tells me that drones are susceptible to failure in this category due to what I believe is part user error (in some cases) and part inherent failure due to being used all over the globe in different environments.

Reactions: Tuna
That's funny: it seems I did the right dance.

Today, in a windy day, I decided to give it another try.
What I did not:
- I didn't recalibrate anything, so calibration was the same of the issue flight
- I didn't wait for almanac, I went in flight as soon as I had video link (1min 45sec after power on)
- I didn't trust EZGui which stated a STORM for geomagnetism. Other apps showed anyway a low KP.

Did three flights trying to confuse the IMU like the last day I flew, but nothing got wrong.
The copter was rock stable in medium wind. It was flying straight and stopping exactly where it should.
Flied around at speed like a charm.
Summarizing it was flying like at beginning: a great flying device, with great features.

I decided to try then no GPS for the first time. I was a little worried about the wind.
In fact as soon as I switched GPS off it started to drift quickly, but hey, are we sissies?
The main problem is that if I fly a racer or my DIY Pixhawk I expect to have to pilot. With the TH one becomes lazy.
It was funny to control it "manually". It was all the time well stabilized and held the altitude correctly. Toggling through GPS on and off was easy and straightforward.
Bad is that annoying alarm. We know we switched GPS off, it is no use block the screen for an ethernity for that.
As a side note I tried full speed (always no GPS mode) and reached upwind about 70km/h, while downwind it reached 89.5km/h = : O

So now should I be happy and relaxed? Still not. Someone said what happened once could happen again ...
Will do a lot of flying next to check for robustness.

Ric

Reactions: Tuna
I tend to agree with Typhoon Charlie for part of the system differences that some experience. What we fly is created from what are more than likely the least expensive components that can be consistently obtained. Lowest prices are often obtained at the expense of quality checks and raw materials have been known to be compromised during component manufacturing to reduce manufacturing costs. We also have the labor aspect involved where highly skilled people are normally more expensive than low skilled people. Manufacturing costs are highly dependent on the cost of labor and labor cost has a major influence on profit margin. So labor and materials can have an impact on quality.

We also have a user aspect to consider. Not everyone does the same thing the same way. Some modify their aircraft, in effect moving their systems away from the original design intent, which can affect haw various system components interact with each other. Many don't bother to read instructions, many don't perform calibrations, and some just mistreat their equipment. Then we have potential storage and transport, battery condition and treatment, and user knowledge and experience to contend with, along with how parameter files are downloaded and uploaded by the users and their internet service. There might even be factors involving the various firewalls and anti virus programs people use. Everyone turns off their anti virus when downloading critical code, right?;)

I suppose there's a whole lot of different things that can be behind the reported differences but the easy thing is to blame a firmware change.

Last edited:
I've been giving this subject a lot of thought. Most of the are should I say a lot of these mishaps seems to happen after the TH is warm or hot. Another thing I am wondering is how much time is between switching the batteries. Another thing I thought about is the battery TH turned off before switching out the batteries. These are items that I think could be addressed. Fly safe

I've been giving this subject a lot of thought. Most of the are should I say a lot of these mishaps seems to happen after the TH is warm or hot. Another thing I am wondering is how much time is between switching the batteries. Another thing I thought about is the battery TH turned off before switching out the batteries. These are items that I think could be addressed. Fly safe

I thought/assumed you always shut off the H before swapping batteries! I wait a Min of ten minutes usually more between flights, maybe that is why I am not having all the issues?

The TH pilots need more people who are thinkers like you Brian.

LOL well, sometimes I overthinks a bit ;) Just made sense to me that if your removing or installing power you turn the thing off -- Maybe I'm just cautious that way from my ham radio stuff :)

Hello, thanks all for your contribution: all good points!
Another thought I had is at Yuneec they changed something in the calibration code.
I did calibration when first received the TH in June and everything worked well.
Now a lot of TH owners (here) experienced issues which could be related to calibration.
Someone wrote that Yuneec called back few copter for hardware check, but I'm wondering why should it get broken after a firmware upgrade.
And again a last note about calibration itself.
Over six different platform I did widely use, which includes Multiwii, Openpilot, Cleanflight, Pixhawk, MatrixPilot and Yuneec, the first five don't definitely require to be so finicky in calibration, just a little bit accurate. I don't think the Yuneec either, otherwise write it clearly in instructions.
Ric

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval