Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Youtube video quality

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm uploading some stuff to YouTube but it all comes out in 360p. At that resolution there's no point in even sharing the video. How do I change that? I've tried looking all over and can't seem to find the answer. When I watch them on my laptop they look great, but via YouTube they're crap and the only option is 360p, so I can't manually adjust the playback resolution.
I thought that you used to adjust it prior to publishing, but I can't find anything to adjust.
:( :(
Help...

Never mind. Now it shows the HD icon on the video. It wasn't doing that before... Anyway, I'm still trying to figure it all out. :D

Never mind. Now it shows the HD icon on the video. It wasn't doing that before... Anyway, I'm still trying to figure it all out. :D
It can take Youtube a long time to finish processing the higher resolutions. I've had to wait 20 minutes for 4K videos after it says it's finished.

Personally, I would not bother uploading 4K to YouTube. They recompress your original when
processing your file. I have a three minute 1080 HD original MP4 at 170 MB that ends
up at 58 MB when downloaded from YouTube. I'm sure a comparable size reduction
is there, at all resolutions. So you're not really showing all the detail you shot.

Unfortunately casual passersby will not go the extra step to download from a file sharing
site like WeTransfer or Hightail (formerly YouSendIt). But if someone has 4K viewing
capability they would be more likely to consider it, as long as it's not a hassle.

It's true they certainly compress your video. However, If you upload a lower resolution you loose even more detail. When I watch a Youtube video on a 55" 4K TV there is a huge difference between 2160p and 1080p. So I continue to upload the 4K (2160p) for the Wow factor.

Reactions: Rubik

May I suggest Vimeo? While not as trendy as YouTube, the video codec is better. It's worth having if you want to show your work.

I signed up for an account a couple of years ago and uploaded one video. Later, when uploading the second video it exceeded the free limit. It's better but for a hobbyist I didn't want to pay.

It's true they certainly compress your video. However, If you upload a lower resolution you loose even more detail. When I watch a Youtube video on a 55" 4K TV there is a huge difference between 2160p and 1080p. So I continue to upload the 4K (2160p) for the Wow factor.

I was thinking more in terms of having an embedded video on a website. Because we are in such
an immediate gratification environment on the web, many people will not wait on long load times
for a 4K to buffer and play. I will likely have a 720 version embedded on my site, with higher resolution
options to download and view offline.

Craig... I'll be looking more closely at Vimeo... need to see how the embedding code is.

You can try some reliable ripping software. With it, you can rip and convert your files into MP4, MKV, MOV, which is compatible with Youtube:D

Embedding from Vimeo to a website is very easy. Go to the settings page for a video and click "Embed" That pops up a screen with an image of the video and a button at the top right called Embed Code. Click that and a small window pops up with the embed code to be copied and pasted where you want. The Privacy settings let you be selective or block where a video can be embedded, allow or block downloads, and other features.

Vimeo has been adding new linkage features to the site that allow members to share their work more productively.
Drive engagement with new video interaction tools

When one is final rendering a video from their NLE, most will use that programs' auto settings to render a video and leave so much image quality unused. Not all Video Editing software is the same as the next, and for sure many lack the ability to render a video at its highest quality which is crucial to get the most out of Youtube video.

If you want you're video to look its best on YouTube, here are some basic settings you'll want to look for when outputting a video;

Container: .mp4
  • No Edit Lists (or you may lose AV sync)
  • moov atom at the front of the file (Fast Start)
Audio Codec: AAC-LC
  • Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
  • Sample rate 96khz or 48 khz
Video Codec: H.264
  • Progressive scan (no interlacing)
  • High Profile
  • 2 consecutive B frames
  • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
  • CABAC
  • Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, recommended bit rates below for reference
  • Color Space: 4.2.0

Standard Definition Target Bitrates

Size-------------Video Bitrate ------Mono Audio Bitrate----Stereo Bitrate-----5.1 Audio Bitrate
1080p-----------8,000kbps---------128 kbps-------------------384 kbps----------512 kbps
1440p (2K)---16,000kbps---------128 kbps-------------------384 kbps----------512 kbps
2160p (4K)---30,000kbps---------128 kbps-------------------384 kbps----------512 kbps

Also remember what works and looks good for you locally (on your computer), may not be high enough quality for YouTube. For example, I use Adobe Premiere but export for upload with Adobe encoder, which allows me to pick all the above settings. So when I export a video that is 3 minutes long at 1080p with a bitrate target of 10,000 to 30,000kbps, my computer stutters when trying to play it because the bitrate is so high, but put through Youtubes' compression cycle the videos are at sizes larger than right out of our cameras. When exported and ready for upload to YouTube, my videos run between 500 and 700 megs per each minute of 1080p video on average, so a four minute video is about 2 gigabytes in size when uploaded to You Tube.

Here is a screenshot of the export of a 1:15 long 1080p video and it renders out right at 600 megabytes

VideoSize.jpg

Last edited:
So can you open them on your computer? I assume we're talking JPEG's here right? Or is it possible your sending a raw DNG file to someone that is used to only working with jpegs perhaps?

you know3 that might be the problem I'll go back to the beginning I'm sending them to my wife for a project and it's not working .. I think it's my lack of knowledge so I'll check what I'm doing .. thanks for your help I'll let you know what I find out..

Yeah, if your sending the DNG, the person using the file will need to convert the DNG to a format for their software to edit the picture to get the highest possible quality. The jpegs are not terribly bad, and depending on the size of the flyer or what have you it may work in a pinch. Good Luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval