Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Skyview Goggles

Probably so but I explained the issue to Yuneec C/S and they said to sent them in and they will check them out. I sent them in a couple of days ago. I'll see when they come back if anything changed.

Please keep us updated, thanks. I sure don't think that screen is movable or adjustable though.

Yes I will. We can't adjust them. But I'm sure that when they assemble them they have to align the display with the viewing lens. The viewing lens / cutout that we look through looks like it is fixed and only snaps in, in one position. But I'm guessing the position of the display beyond the lens has to be aligned perfectly in the center of the lens. When I was wearing my goggles noticed that It seem there was slightly more distance between the top of the display and the top of the goggles as compared to the distance between the bottom of the display and the bottom of the goggles. It wasn't mounted directly in the middle. My therory is if the display is sitting slightly lower, the very bottom of the display would get cut off by the bottom of the viewing lens. We'll see when I get them back. If everything is ok then we will know that it was an alignment issue. If it's the same then it has to do with face shape.

Got some cheap 3.0 reading glasses. They focus on the screen in the goggles perfectly.
Might try to fix a set in there permanently without the over ear bits.

An issue I have found and I hope it won't cause any permanent damage to vision, but when the screen is so close to your eyes you have to strain to keep things in focus.
I don't wear glasses, but I hope that extended use won't cause me to need some. When I first start using them, the screen is fuzzy. However, after a few minutes my eyes adjust and everything is clear.
Again, I hope they aren't putting a strain on my eyes.

Please keep us updated, thanks. I sure don't think that screen is movable or adjustable though.
Just got off the phone with Yuneec support this morning. Was told they are replacing my sky view goggles. I ask them if they found something wrong with the ones I sent in and if so what? I told him some other people have the same problem of not seeing the very bottom of the screen and I'd like to know in fact if there was something actually wrong with them. He told me they don't give him any details of what they found or if anything was wrong. It just shows that they are being replaced and should ship out today. Now I don't know if Yuneecs policy is to just replace them without testing or did they test them and find something wrong. When I get the new ones I will test them and post results.

I just received my replacement sky view goggles. They are better, but when I have them position comfortably on my face where they are supposed to be The distance readout is still cut off. But at least now I am able to position the goggle on my face where I can read the distance display on the bottom left and see the camera task mode on the bottom right and they are still wearable. Where as before I had to slide them down my nose about a 1/4" and still barely see them and they weren't wearable. It is an improvement and I can live with it...but the Pad, system setting and mode select buttons at the very bottom of the screen are out of view but I won't be using them anyway when I'm wearing them so it dosen't matter. Maybe Yuneec will come up with a wider viewing lens in the next version.

I've been researching various alternatives to all the normal FPV goggles that are currently out because 1 the normal FPV goggles that we are all used to have to connect to the H wirelessly which worries me because if it possibly communicates directly with the H while simultaneously connecting the ST16 I'd be really concerned with it possibly lessening the signals to & from the ST16. That is why I do not want to attempt to try those. On the subject of trying it out using it Samsung VR or similar I know that it is a possibility but when I've seen similar attempts they have used I believe that it was called the VR One which works the same way that Samsung VR does but they did not use any app like CGO instead I believe they had a splitter cable that splits the phone's micro USB input into 2 so that you could plug an HDMI into it at the same time the glasses connected goggles connected to it which also means you wouldn't need to worry about wireless interference from your phone. I have also been seeing various normal FPV goggles that have an HDMI input but thus far haven't found any that are any cheaper than the Yuneec SkyView for $250 unless you may feel content with buying some with small 4.3" screen which I'm wanting something a bit better, & also to any of you that currently own or are thinking about buying the RS Module realize this; when it is installed on your H then instead of your H sending down only a 720P quality video stream it will now send a 1080p video downlink but as most know our ST16 screens are only 720p so If I buy any glasses they'll be 1080p or I wont be buying them which is also why I've thought about purchasing a much large screen/monitor to maybe mount above the current one on our ST16's that IS 1080p capable, possibly 12-17" monitor & i'd then obviously have the ST16 mounted into a TX Tray as to provide more weight support. Thanks Tom C

Yuneec needs to redesign the viewing lens in the sky view. Right now if you look at the lens it is a two piece lens with a seam in the middle which is ok if you have 20/20 vision. But myself and a lot of people do not. I was born with an eye condition that cannot be corrected with glasses. I am right eye dominant (20/60 vision) which basically mean 70-75% of my vision is thru my right eye and with having a seam in the middle of the lens it interferes with me being able to see the very left of the display. When you are wearing your sky view goggles try closing one eye and see if you are still able to see the full screen left to right without issues. I am curious to know.
Plus the second issue is the nose bridge also splits the lens viewing area. Yuneec need to design the goggles with a one piece lens like the old style scuba diving masks. Remember the ones that had the one piece round lens which gave you a great unobstructed view no matter what? Then everyone changed to the split goggle style masks which caused problems for anyone without 20/20 vision. I myself had to keep turning my head to view things on my left.

Reactions: THoff
Well I learned nothing new from that vid that hasn't already been stated on Yuneec's website or in this forum, all while painfully having to listen to his obnoxious attempt at humor...does this dude actually think he's funny. Seriously if you're going to try to be funny at least have content of value included in your vids.

Now for something tangible: My first impression when I learned about these goggles was this is awesome, don't have to worry about messing with the shade box (which really doesn't work all that well), but now I'm wondering how useful they are when you are actually using the controller/camera options during flight and want to end up with a slick video? I'm assuming you have to take them off to utilize the controller (like toggling tilt, pan modes, etc.)?

I'm assuming you have to take them off to utilize the controller (like toggling tilt, pan modes, etc.)?[/QUOTE]

No not at all. You don't have to take them off to utilize the pan knob and tilt slider. You know where they are on the controller, you don't have to look at them. Just like you don't have to look at the joy sticks when you are flying. You are looking though the camera so you know what it's doing and seeing.

I can take apart and reassemble an M-16 in pitch dark and know my flight controllers just as well . Those that cannot find their control functions without looking at them just need more practice. People should not blame their equipment when the real problem is themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably so but I explained the issue to Yuneec C/S and they said to sent them in and they will check them out. I sent them in a couple of days ago. I'll see when they come back if anything changed.

Yeah you may have to wait 5 weeks based on my experience getting repairs back. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I've been researching various alternatives to all the normal FPV goggles that are currently out because 1 the normal FPV goggles that we are all used to have to connect to the H wirelessly which worries me because if it possibly communicates directly with the H while simultaneously connecting the ST16 I'd be really concerned with it possibly lessening the signals to & from the ST16. That is why I do not want to attempt to try those. On the subject of trying it out using it Samsung VR or similar I know that it is a possibility but when I've seen similar attempts they have used I believe that it was called the VR One which works the same way that Samsung VR does but they did not use any app like CGO instead I believe they had a splitter cable that splits the phone's micro USB input into 2 so that you could plug an HDMI into it at the same time the glasses connected goggles connected to it which also means you wouldn't need to worry about wireless interference from your phone. I have also been seeing various normal FPV goggles that have an HDMI input but thus far haven't found any that are any cheaper than the Yuneec SkyView for $250 unless you may feel content with buying some with small 4.3" screen which I'm wanting something a bit better, & also to any of you that currently own or are thinking about buying the RS Module realize this; when it is installed on your H then instead of your H sending down only a 720P quality video stream it will now send a 1080p video downlink but as most know our ST16 screens are only 720p so If I buy any glasses they'll be 1080p or I wont be buying them which is also why I've thought about purchasing a much large screen/monitor to maybe mount above the current one on our ST16's that IS 1080p capable, possibly 12-17" monitor & i'd then obviously have the ST16 mounted into a TX Tray as to provide more weight support. Thanks Tom C

So Tom, I'm very intrigued to purchase this but am having a little trouble following you. You mention that my H Pro will download in 1080p (which I'm pretty excited about) but again, I don't understand your comment:

"also to any of you that currently own or are thinking about buying the RS Module realize this; when it is installed on your H then instead of your H sending down only a 720P quality video stream it will now send a 1080p video downlink but as most know our ST16 screens are only 720p so If I buy any glasses they'll be 1080p or I wont be buying them"

Should I expect to see 720p or 1080p?

I'm also a little skeptical that RS has anything to do with video quality. The purpose of RS has nothing to do with that as far as I know...it's to store obstacles in memory so you don't have to worry about the H Pro flying into anything. I certainly don't know everything (or even close) so correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you!

Amazon Prime now has the goggles priced at @ $229. I think I'm going to give it a shot because I need to take video for customers and really need to be able to 'see through the eyes of the camera' while shooting video footage and the ST-16 controller has a tremendous amount of glare...I was really hoping they would have improve on the technology of either the screen surface to minimize this or having the ability to brighten the screen...this hasn't changed since the ST-10. Additionally it picks up finger prints big time which makes viewing even harder. There's only 4 reviews on Amazon (3.6/5.0) and the most critical listed below, I hope is a gross exaggeration:

The screen quality is good, but the experience is more like having a seat in the last row of a theater with a small screen. You can actually see a “ceiling” above the screen. In the one I received, need to manipulate with both hands in order to see the lower part of the screen.

For FPV under sunny conditions is no good since the light gets in through the very uncomfortable nose support. I just did a quick FPV and was seeing a very strong reflection of my glasses on the screen.

Watched a movie on it, and I felt like watching the same movie on a 10 inch tablet. Not impressed at all.

In order to connect the Type D HDMI cable (a very very short cable is included) you need to completely remove a cover, and then the thing looks broken.... Very difficult to return the cover, and it will fall next time you connect... pic attached

Very hard on the nose!!!

In short, not worth the money, even at 1/4 of the price.

I'll find out in two days and report back. Feel free to comment on any of this.

I guess I'm in the minority but I really like my SkyView Goggles. They are inexpensive, efficient, easy to use and give a great picture. I am extremely nearsighted but I see perfectly with the SkyViews on without my glasses. Can't ask for more than that.

Thanks David, that's encouraging. I'm nearsighted 20/15 I believe is what the eye doctor told me...she said that was pretty good so I shouldn't have any trouble based on your comment. The goggles are arriving tomorrow...pretty excited to check them out.

So I received my SkyView goggles last weekend and went to fly my H Pro on a golf course and chickened out. I've already donated an H Pro as a permanent tree ornament 50 feet up over their 16th tee box. I'm wondering how much I'd use them. Has anyone tried these flying down a tree lined fairway? I'm just afraid I'll have tunnel vision and not see an approaching tree...or should these only be used in open fields or the like?

So whats so special about the goggles when there are so many hdmi goggles available for a lot less money? Although most are VR goggles, but can you not turn off the motion sensors in them?

So whats so special about the goggles when there are so many hdmi goggles available for a lot less money? Although most are VR goggles, but can you not turn off the motion sensors in them?

Nothing other than their system creates a split image so you need dual lens goggles. It's difficult with the wifi lag and that's going to change regardless of googles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought these for $229 a couple of mos. ago but returned them a week later never using them so I can't answer your question specifically but some food for thought otherwise... I can tell you that thing is huge and there's got to be better technology around the corner. I would suggest to only buy these if you have a use case that's time sensitive, otherwise I'd wait. These will be half the price in another six mos. The reason I never used these: I was looking to fly these on a golf course with tree-lined fairways but once I got out on the course I realized that using these would probably end up in me crashing into a tree that I wouldn't be able to see outside it's line of vision. Remember, when you put any goggles on, you see what the camera sees and not the surroundings so obstacles like trees, powerlines, etc. could creep up on you before you knew it. Yes, I should have realized that before I bought it but hoping against hope I posed the question: Does anyone use these outside of open fields with no obstacles? I didn't get a response so I returned them. Now I'm hearing there's a wifi lag...I'm glad I never attempted to use these as you can't have that kind of room for error unless you're in a wide open space with zero obstacles even close. I'll take a look at this technology in the future but having something so bulky is not easy to pull off and back on with any regularity. I'd probably only risk one of my birds with something more along the lines of swimmer goggles (and zero wifi lag). It may be awhile before that comes out but so be it. Nice idea that I was excited to get, just not worth the risk. If I lived in an area that lent itself to beautiful wide open landscapes I would have definitely kept them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval