Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneek Typhoon h HDW-S/W-REV Case & Compatibility Database

Reaction score
Gents,
There has been too many Firmware Upgrade anomalies to trust that Yuneek will properly address this issues themselves but there are some actions we can take to get to the bottom of this or at least assist Yuneek in resolving these problems.
I have some experience in the electronics hardware & software manufacturing space, not claiming to be the expert and that I can fix this, but with everyone's help on this forum we can assist getting the ball down the field with this effort.
Many problems with hardware & software rollouts originate from the use of dissimilar components and procedures in manufacturing, testing and service.
For example, the reason a firmware upgrade may not work on Unit S/N:1005, works perfectly on Unit S/N:9997 may be because S/N:1005 was manufactured with RevA board components and S/N:9997 was manufactured with RevD board components.
Believe me when I tell you that not all components on a system board react exactly the same, it is not uncommon for manufacturers, especially non ISO9001 companies to substitute components based on cost and availability. Often these substitutions are driven by bean-counters that pressure engineering to accept the substitutions usually against protest and without proper testing.
This problem becomes worse when ICs and Processors are substituted. Many of them don't have the same clock speeds, performance tolerances, and space. You might have a solid program that works flawlessly on one chip, but when ran on another chip with a different scan rate or because of space limitations routines are placed in different threads that don't update as often, the end result is the program is executed differently between the the 2 processors.

So how can we as a group counter this? Well if we could get enough members to participate in providing detailed information about their equipment, as in; SN, date of manufacture, crack open the case take pictures of the all the boards and then post the results of their Firmware performance results etc., then we can construct a database, start connecting the dots and stop relying on a coin-toss to troubleshoot or upgrade our equipment.
With enough participation, we could start concluding which SNs should perform updates, which ones will brick, what components to replace to make units compatible to except latest revision, etc.

If anyone is interested in participating in this effort, let me know?

1) The first step will be to identify & create a list of all the available data we have access to for the Th.
1.a) Identification of the data will come from;
1.b) Manufacturing labels with locations.
1.c) Pictures of all boards and components.
1.d) Electronic data gathered from Typhoon H GUI program and Controller settings.
2) Collect equipment case information for each unit, what operations work good, what operations work poor.
3) Collect application revision information, none issues vs unit SNs.
4) Collect application revision upgrade information, good/bad vs unit SNs & result comments.
2) I can assemble this information in an Excel workbook for documentation and filtering.

This should get us started, as we get more buy in on the effort, I am sure we will populate the list with more data categories from the participants.
Understand, I am not claiming to be a technical expert on the equipment, my role in this will be to collect, assemble & present information, we will need some Th Guru buy in to assist with connecting some of these dots.

Thanks again,

1) The first step will be to identify & create a list of all the available data we have access to for the Th.
1.a) Identification of the data will come from;
1.b) Manufacturing labels with locations.
1.c) Pictures of all boards and components.
1.d) Electronic data gathered from Typhoon H GUI program and Controller settings.
2) Collect equipment case information for each unit, what operations work good, what operations work poor.
3) Collect application revision information, none issues vs unit SNs.
4) Collect application revision upgrade information, good/bad vs unit SNs & result comments.
2) I can assemble this information in an Excel workbook for documentation and filtering.

This should get us started, as we get more buy in on the effort, I am sure we will populate the list with more data categories from the participants.
Understand, I am not claiming to be a technical expert on the equipment, my role in this will be to collect, assemble & present information, we will need some Th Guru buy in to assist with connecting some of these dots.

Thanks again,

This is huge! (especially non ISO9001) I wonder if they are even ISO xxx

It won't be too painful to collect the data. I already had to replace a prop and it only took about 5 minutes to crack open the case. The first disassembly will be the longest as it will take a bit of time to identify and organize all the parts. Naming some of the components might be tedious as some circuits don't exactly jump out at you. The goal is that once the database comes together and the dots start connecting, we will eventually be able to use serial numbers to identify HDW vs S/W conflicts and prescribe the best revision of software to use for all the Th's.
This brings up a great point; we will have to assemble a list of all the past revisions of software then collect a Master set copy for archiving.

Are you in?

It won't be too painful to collect the data. I already had to replace a prop and it only took about 5 minutes to crack open the case. The first disassembly will be the longest as it will take a bit of time to identify and organize all the parts. Naming some of the components might be tedious as some circuits don't exactly jump out at you. The goal is that once the database comes together and the dots start connecting, we will eventually be able to use serial numbers to identify HDW vs S/W conflicts and prescribe the best revision of software to use for all the Th's.
This brings up a great point; we will have to assemble a list of all the past revisions of software then collect a Master set copy for archiving.

Are you in?

I'm not in, sorry, the H will be history by the time that database is built and VETTED! and since non of us are Yuneec certified , we cannot prove or disprove the process that someone posts.. A prop takes about 5 seconds to replace, did you replace the arm and motor, just the motor, just the arm? what? See the verbiage is already incorrect.

Also as far as suggesting the best software -- man I don't want that monkey on my back! I don't have any money to settle getting sued :) Yuneec knows better than us, I am using the latest firmware and Im fine, yet others are not, but I can assure you we updated in a different manner, but I am not going to claim mine is the better way -- I have no proof..

neat idea but -- I am out ..

Bry,
I hear ya, but it is hard when Yuneec takes the serial number sticker off your aircraft and sticks it on another one and sends it back to you. Now you have no idea what yours was manufactured with, or when.

I'd like to think that Yuneec themselves are doing something like this as part of their repair process.

Yep, and I guess the "something you cannot do" for someone who cannot spell Yuneek correctly, is to resist the urge to say the first dumb thing that pops into your head;)

I was actually comparing the quality control you speak of, for Yuneec,
with a spell checker, bit tongue in cheek really, but woosh, straight over your head

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval