Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

2,000.00 spent. H520 WONT CONNEXT TO ST16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being off topic for a few moments more, I darn near lived there up until about 2006 or so, teaching people how to deal with gas engines, set up complex precision level RC systems, and as a new design test pilot and manufacturer rep for Wild Hare RC.

But that was then, this is now, and it's all about the 520, or more specifically what appears to be someone making newbie mistakes with a just released system and blaming the maker for it. They must be incredibly busy not to get back to this thread after being away so long.

Pretty much same here, I was working in the industry and competing, wrote for several magazines, had my own designs and started a company then the ARF fad hit :rolleyes: and I went to work for a large Jet manufacturer and designed for them. I lived and breathed RC, then I just lost interest until I could marry my two favorites things; video and flight! Like you I am waiting to see a little more from the camera, but it looks like it is just a matter of time till I get a 520.

Prolly this upcoming week for me to order one.

The OP is starting to look like it was an anti 520 trolling attack. Either that or the OP became very embarrassed after finding out the failure was on his/her part.

Clearcloudllc must have sorted himself out as his initial 'anger' surely would have had him back here reacting to the helpful suggestions. I wonder what he is going to use the H520 for without a camera?

How long before someone flips into manual mode and has to really fly the machine? I think as the H520 is being sold as a Professional/Enterprise machine a USA107, UK Pfco or the other worldwide regulations requirement should be flagged up especially as ( I understand) NFZ is not being utilised.

The H520 is backwards compatible with CGO3, right? If he doesn't want to shell out another 1k or more, maybe he can buy a cgo3. On the other hand, if he doesn't want to spend any more $, it'll be just one expensive toy drone. I wonder if the H520 can do stunts like flip and roll. :oops:

I’d like to add something a little more “middle of the road here”. I’m not a drone pro, but I am an engineering pro. I can make most things work.

I have a large amount of sympathy for those who have had difficulty getting the H520 to work without a camera. I’ve had the drone for about a month now and bought it with an E90. The path to working without a camera is really non-obvious in many ways. It seems very much like a hidden mode of operation. Nothing in the easy setup. My first attempt to follow the easy setup on day one had me confused as to why the ST16 could not find the drone. Only after installing the E90 did everything spring to life. My first impression was “geez, this thing doesn’t even operate without a >$1000 camera?”

I spent a bunch of time, as did a professional (computer science/engineering) colleague, trying to work out whether it was even possible to fly without a camera and found posts that said “yes it is and I am” but not what the magic was. Only this weekend did I take a further shot at googling it and finally found a link to the video of basic operations that showed turning the drone upside down. I’m not sure why I had not stumbled onto the manual bind setting in the vehicle menu.

When I told my colleague about the link showing how, his response was “wow, how come this was so hard to find?”

Then trying to put this into practice it took me about 20 minutes to finally get it to fly. Little or no feedback that the drone was bound, still showing not connected on the ST16, still no battery status on the ST16, no telemetry. Very confusing.

Now I’m excited about developing a custom payload.

However I think it is unfair to bash “dumb people” like me, for not being able to make it work. It is a user experience black hole trying to get camera free flight working, with the lack of feedback in the app and from the drone, plus the lack of telemetry or any indication of binding.

My final successful recipe was: on ST16, set landing gear to UP. Remove battery from drone. Insert battery and power on drone.
In ST16 3-bar menu, choose vehicle, then manual bind. It will tell you to turn over the drone. Turn it over and leave it there, props down. If all the lights go yellow flashing, press bind on the ST16. If it pairs, the landing gear will go up. Flip the landing gear down on the ST16. Should return to down.
Flip over the drone back to normal. Now WAIT. Pressing the red ARM button will give only audio tones from the drone if it does not have GPS lock. Or if the return to land switch is down (RTL). All the cool audio prompts you would normally get from the controller DO NOT HAPPEN. You are left with beeps from the drone as the only information. Nothing on the controller. It will still show Not Connected in the title bar. Nothing for GPS lock or for vehicle battery status. The right connection menu will show Nothing connected. So as a user you are basically guessing that the drone is connected. After a while you can press arm and the drone props start to spin. YAY! Angle and Manual flight modes should now work.

So far from intuitive it is not even funny. And don’t give me RTFM. I didn’t have to get to page 46 of my iPhone manual, nor of my car’s manual.

User Experience design and User Interface design should remove the need for getting to page 46 of the manual before you can even get the props to spin without a camera.

Call me dumb, I don’t care. I just think this piece of the experience was very poorly implemented.

And the wait times for customer service at Yuneec are “give up and live with it” long. My $1300 camera lense cover glass was broken on arrival. Attempting to get that addressed under warranty got me to “just throw it away and live without it”.

Just in case others have the same issue.
this is from page 61 of the manual located here :http://commercial.yuneec.com/files/downloads/H520/Yuneec H520 Manual+Datapilot Operations Guide_EN.pdf

PAGE 61:
MANUAL BIND
Manual bind allows the Pilot to bind the ST16S to the H520 without a camera. Power on the H520, tap the Manual Bind button, and flip the H520 upside down. The H520 LEDs will begin flashing yellow on all motors. Now tap the Bind button on the popup window. The ST16S will bind to the H520. This connection may be tested by raising the landing gear while the H520 is upside down. *Note: The H520 does not provide telemetry data to the ST16S while in manual bind mode. The Pilot will not have the ability to check GPS status, battery status, etc.

This thread is closed for further comments

Reactions: 10-8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech