Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3D mapping with realsense

Reaction score
This may not be possible, but has anyone delved into the possibilities of the realsense technology?
My concern here is, where does the 3D "map" that the software uses, go? Does it stay stored, for possible near future use, or does it just dump after the flight?
I'm looking at using this for commercial application.
Such as building a 3D model virtually using the real sense, then printing the buildings and obstacles on a 3D printer to be used for city planning.

RS is the intelligent obstacle “navigation” technology in Typhoon H or H+ is used to “detect obstacles” and “self-navigate” around those obstacles while flying or following the user.

Mapping itself for the purpose of civil engineering work or 3D printing has nothing to do with RS.

RS is the intelligent obstacle “navigation” technology in Typhoon H or H+ is used to “detect obstacles” and “self-navigate” around those obstacles while flying or following the user.

Mapping itself for the purpose of civil engineering work or 3D printing has nothing to do with RS.

I understand that it's for obstacle avoidance. My understanding, however, is that it creates a temporary map of the layout. That way, if the drone is flying sideways as opposed to forward facing, it will automatically steer around to keep you in frame while simultaneously avoiding obstacles based off of its own mapping.

I understand that it's for obstacle avoidance. My understanding, however, is that it creates a temporary map of the layout. That way, if the drone is flying sideways as opposed to forward facing, it will automatically steer around to keep you in frame while simultaneously avoiding obstacles based off of its own mapping.

If you are asking if the 3D data used for obstacle avoidance can be used to generate 3D models, the answer is no - I believe that mapping is basically a point cloud at insufficient resolution and with too inconsistent a point density to usefully generate geometry, even if you could access it !

Reactions: massens

I believe they use the term 3D map loosely. The 3D map is probably stored as a series of coordinates the drone needs to navigate or avoid. There is probably no conversion to an actual 3D map.

If you are asking if the 3D data used for obstacle avoidance can be used to generate 3D models, the answer is no - I believe that mapping is basically a point cloud at insufficient resolution and with too inconsistent a point density to usefully generate geometry, even if you could access it !
Ok now this makes sense. Thank you.
I'm still looking for a way to access it though.
You're most likely right though.

I believe they use the term 3D map loosely. The 3D map is probably stored as a series of coordinates the drone needs to navigate or avoid. There is probably no conversion to an actual 3D map.
Ya that's a good point too. I'm not expecting it to look like it did in their commercial introducing RS, but maybe at least be able to see what the sensors pick up.

Ya that's a good point too. I'm not expecting it to look like it did in their commercial introducing RS, but maybe at least be able to see what the sensors pick up.
I see your point as well. You watch the advertising and it is somewhat misleading. It would be so cool to have that capability!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech