Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

5 rotor mode testing?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been flying my H around and I get a 5 rotor error sometimes. one day its fine the next it keeps flashing the error. I broke a prop day one but replaced it and it was fine. I read a lot about spinning the motors to look for bends or strange feeling rotation but its all good. all 6 spin and sound great when i take off, then sometimes it starts flashing 5 rotor mode. I called tech support to find out how to test it, since the manual i got with it has so little valuable information on it, and they want me to send it in for non warranty repair at an $80 an hour rate and wont give me any test info to find out whats wrong. Then the phone line started breaking up until i could not even understand the tech any longer so I had to abort.

Frustrating to say the least. If its not a warranty item Im going to split this puppy open and fix it myself, i've worked on a lot of planes over the years and it cant be that difficult. Anyone have any troubleshooting info on these? I cant find much info on the problem.

Thanks

I don't know if the GUI can check the motors for you or not. I have it installed, but I haven't played with it much. It does check quite a few systems, and possibly the motors..

Go to this link: Typhoon H Firmware and download/install the Software (GUI). They only have a Windows version. Then you can hook up the H to your computer and perform quite a few tests.

DISCLAIMER: Please make sure the props are not on the H while messing around with the GUI.. ;)

I'm sure it is very frustrating.

Have you considered hooking up your H to the Typhoon GUI interface via your computer and doing prop spin tests from there? You could easily have a faulty rotor, perhaps resulting even from the minor incident you mentioned when you lost a prop. That incident could have caused enough damage to that particular motor to sometimes be noticed by the Typhoon's electric component analytics when it is acting up and yet be checked out as fine at other times.

I'd want to know for sure, if I were you. And I mean on the ground, not when the h is 2oo feet up and 1,000 feet away. Even though the 6-rotor design of the Typhoon gives us rotor redundancy and it can be landed with 5 operating rotors and props, trust me when I say that is not the idea or preferred condition to be in when flying or landing the aircraft. In such circumstances, it is still disabled and handles itself accordingly. The 5 rotors just give you a fighting chance to preserve your aircraft when an in-flight incident occurs.

Many do not seem to realize multirotors have a critical component between the flight controller and the motors. It's called an ESC. The ESC is what receives the signal from the FC telling its motor how fast to spin. Often, but not always, battery power is pulled directly from the battery to the ESC without first passing through the FC. ESC's often fail in a crash where the motor survives unscathed. If the ESC suffers damage the signals it sends to a motor can become erratic, or simply stop the motor from functioning. They can also lose calibration in a crash, and that calibration is not available to us with the -16.

Unless you are good with electronics I suggest you send it to Yuneec for repair. For now your H is in a high risk state. Yuneec makes it very clear they are not responsible for crashes so the cost is on you. So you have a choice, accept the risk of destroying your H or getting it fixed.

Also invest a little effort to download and install the GUI, and read the instructions on how to make use of it. It's a tool provided to help you with the H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I downloaded the GUI but i'm still having trouble getting it to talk to the drone, drivers for something probably, i will have to spend some more time on it this evening. Ive built planes, helis and even a 4 rotor drone setup so i'm used to fixing my own stuff and not sending it off somewhere. the problem seems intermittent to me so it feels more like an esc problem than a physical problem it would be nice if it just said what motor is was phasing out when it went to 5 rotor mode. I don't want to send it to Cali every time i break a prop...

I downloaded the GUI but i'm still having trouble getting it to talk to the drone, drivers for something probably. . .

When you first open up the GUI, there is a hyperlink for the USB drivers (It's towards the bottom. I am at work and can't provide you a screen shot). It actually navigates you to a folder with 32/64bit drivers.

Yep, that's what i did it just keeps telling me com port 1 doesn't exist. I need to play with it tonight and figure that out.

Gotta love Windows, ROFL. Keep us posed with your findings when you are able to run the GUI.

Drop down at top of GUI page for port selection and connection types. Device manager on your computer will show which port it is in. You may have to reassign the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried it again from my laptop this time and got a different box that popped up to set up a new device and it works fine from the laptop. I spun all the motors, one makes a bit more noise than the rest but they all test the same and work. Control is flashing 5 rotor when i turn it on. I'm going to make sure my firmware is all up to date and run some tests again but who knows, the noisy motor or i can see an amber light flashing inside the case by that arm, probably the esc flashing some king of code if i can find a troubleshooting guide. making progress anyway.

Glad you are making some kind of progress.. I doubt there is any information regarding the flashing LED's on the ESC. Like stated above, it could be the ESC, wiring to the motor and/or the motor..

The motor's are pretty cheap, so I would get that replaced and go from there.

Running the motors through the GUI without props will bring up the 5 rotor warning every time. That and the one different sounding motor are 100% normal when running through the GUI.

Don't replace anything, go fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: PDX1953
Glad you are making some kind of progress.. I doubt there is any information regarding the flashing LED's on the ESC. Like stated above, it could be the ESC, wiring to the motor and/or the motor..

The motor's are pretty cheap, so I would get that replaced and go from there.

I recently bought a used drone that appears to be in mint condition. I wanted to test the batteries today & while the drone was on the table w/o the rotors installed I was able to start the motors and just let them idle. I applied a very small amount of throttle & immediately one motor started sounding "crunchy" and the controller flashed "fly in 5 rotor mode." I did it a couple of times to ensure that the error wasn't a fluke & then tried to d/l the GUI file from Yuneec as mentioned above. My anti-virus program immediately flagged it & wouldn't let it download on my laptop - it said the file had some sort of virus in it.

I'm open to suggestions.

I recently bought a used drone that appears to be in mint condition. I wanted to test the batteries today & while the drone was on the table w/o the rotors installed I was able to start the motors and just let them idle. I applied a very small amount of throttle & immediately one motor started sounding "crunchy" and the controller flashed "fly in 5 rotor mode." I did it a couple of times to ensure that the error wasn't a fluke & then tried to d/l the GUI file from Yuneec as mentioned above. My anti-virus program immediately flagged it & wouldn't let it download on my laptop - it said the file had some sort of virus in it.

I'm open to suggestions.

OK - just found another thread that says the error will happen w/o props attached. I'll attach the props & try it while making sure the craft won't fly up.

Hello,

I have been flying my H around and I get a 5 rotor error sometimes. one day its fine the next it keeps flashing the error. I broke a prop day one but replaced it and it was fine. I read a lot about spinning the motors to look for bends or strange feeling rotation but its all good. all 6 spin and sound great when i take off, then sometimes it starts flashing 5 rotor mode. I called tech support to find out how to test it, since the manual i got with it has so little valuable information on it, and they want me to send it in for non warranty repair at an $80 an hour rate and wont give me any test info to find out whats wrong. Then the phone line started breaking up until i could not even understand the tech any longer so I had to abort.

Frustrating to say the least. If its not a warranty item Im going to split this puppy open and fix it myself, i've worked on a lot of planes over the years and it cant be that difficult. Anyone have any troubleshooting info on these? I cant find much info on the problem.

Thanks

I haven’t played too much with the GUI. But I’m familiar with beta flight, race flight,etc. These are all Graphical user interfaces for multirotors. It’s where you set all your settings, upgrade firmware test motors, etc. I don’t know if the GUI on the H can but I would be extremely surprised if it wasn’t. Since multirotors are built on the same concept as the smaller ones. I would check there. Or you can call Yuneec and except that ridiculous rate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bancadoithuongads