Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A couple of videos for landing help and cycling the landing gear

Reaction score
Hey everyone. It appears some of you are having "issues" either landing your Typhoon-H or are just curious about cycling the landing gear while on the ground. Just saw these two videos posted on RCG and thought I should share. Happy flying!

I don't understand, why does the landing gear not cycle when in upright position?

I don't understand, why does the landing gear not cycle when in upright position?
Without a doubt this is by design. Of course it cycles normally when in flight, but Yuneec wants to make sure you can't do this while on the ground unless you are intentionally looking to check out the servos or whatnot. Make sense?

Without a doubt this is by design. Of course it cycles normally when in flight, but Yuneec wants to make sure you can't do this while on the ground unless you are intentionally looking to check out the servos or whatnot. Make sense?

Makes sense but he was holding it several feet off the ground.
On the same token then it should know to auto deploy landing gear

Makes sense but he was holding it several feet off the ground.
On the same token then it should know to auto deploy landing gear
Remember that these vehicles work with accelerometers and gyroscopes. These are silicon, micromachined structures that are not only very sensitive but also easy to program. So it would appear the engineers at Yuneec gave us the opportunity to test and evaluate the landing gear while on the ground but only while in the inverted position. Taking the programming further yes, the vehicle could know how to autodeploy its landing gear if and only if it's programed to do so. Keep in mind this would require some kind of sensor apparatus to not only tell the vehicle it is descending but is also near the surface and it's time to lower gear. The stock Typhoon at this price point is not equipped to do this but I would be surprised if this were not possible with the Intel RealSense add-on. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Remember that these vehicles work with accelerometers and gyroscopes. These are silicon, micromachined structures that are not only very sensitive but also easy to program. So it would appear the engineers at Yuneec gave us the opportunity to test and evaluate the landing gear while on the ground but only while in the inverted position. Taking the programming further yes, the vehicle could know how to autodeploy its landing gear if and only if it's programed to do so. Keep in mind this would require some kind of sensor apparatus to not only tell the vehicle it is descending but is also near the surface and it's time to lower gear. The stock Typhoon at this price point is not equipped to do this but I would be surprised if this were not possible with the Intel RealSense add-on. Guess we'll have to wait and see!
I posed this question to Simon who had a try with the fully loaded Typhoon H. That model had the IPS (Downward facing) and Realsense (Forward facing). He said the landing gear came down automatically if you attempted to land it.

I posed this question to Simon who had a try with the fully loaded Typhoon H. That model had the IPS (Downward facing) and Realsense (Forward facing). He said the landing gear came down automatically if you attempted to land it.
Bingo! There you go.:)

Are the IPS and Real Sense part of the add on module coming later?

Are the IPS and Real Sense part of the add on module coming later?
They sure are.

Because the ST16 currently shows the IPS firmware version as zero tells me that it will be the first to arrive to market.

As for the Intel Realsense. Trent from Yuneec had said it would arrive in summer 2016. Summer goes up to September, so it could be awhile.

Reactions: NoCoOutdoorGuys
Can you elaborate for a noob please? What is IPS and the Realsense addon?
Sure, here is the very short explanation:

- IPS. What is it? It is usually a camera and sonar pointing down. The camera sees the ground (or whatever is below it) and identifies pixels in the picture. It communicates to the brains of the drone to stay spot on those pixels. The sonar tells the drone camera how far away the object that it sees (in pixels) is. What is it used for? Mostly indoor flying or flying under a bridge or object that causes the GPS to cut out. Picture of IPS on a Typhoon below (big block on rear)

- REALSENSE. What is it? Designed by Intel and is already on the market in different forms. The Typhoon will be the first drone to use it for drone collision/avoidance purposes (that's what I understand). It sits below the existing forward facing sonar. It has cameras & I believe a type of infra red system. It can see depth, like our eyes do (objects near and far). Apparently it will provide a forward facing 180 degree field of view and object avoidance at a faster speed than the existing sonar. It will not only stop the drone from hitting objects but also move the drone around, over, under the object in front of it. Picture of Intel Realsense on the Typhoon below (rectangular strip below sonar),

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 6.24.14 AM.jpg yuneec-typhoon-h-11.jpg

Sure, here is the very short explanation:

- IPS. What is it? It is usually a camera and sonar pointing down. The camera sees the ground (or whatever is below it) and identifies pixels in the picture. It communicates to the brains of the drone to stay spot on those pixels. The sonar tells the drone camera how far away the object that it sees (in pixels) is. What is it used for? Mostly indoor flying or flying under a bridge or object that causes the GPS to cut out. Picture of IPS on a Typhoon below (big block on rear)

- REALSENSE. What is it? Designed by Intel and is already on the market in different forms. The Typhoon will be the first drone to use it for drone collision/avoidance purposes (that's what I understand). It sits below the existing forward facing sonar. It has cameras & I believe a type of infra red system. It can see depth, like our eyes do (objects near and far). Apparently it will provide a forward facing 180 degree field of view and object avoidance at a faster speed than the existing sonar. It will not only stop the drone from hitting objects but also move the drone around, over, under the object in front of it. Picture of Intel Realsense on the Typhoon below (rectangular strip below sonar),

Ah, many thanks for taking the time to inform. I kind of thought that's what REALsense was but then I also thought it was already included with the Typhoon (not as an addon later) and since it was being talked about in the future tense I was confused.

Ah, many thanks for taking the time to inform. I kind of thought that's what REALsense was but then I also thought it was already included with the Typhoon (not as an addon later) and since it was being talked about in the future tense I was confused.
BTW that little add-on is rumored to cost another $300 at the very minimum!:eek:

BTW that little add-on is rumored to cost another $300 at the very minimum!:eek:

I heard $200-250 a while back but at this point it's pure speculation. Hope it's not in the $400 range though. Would be silly I think considering the Intel processor is already onboard the H itself.

Whhaaa! No. Well now that kind of sucks huh?! For all the advertising and as a KEY selling point --Maybe I missed something but EVERY indication was that it was part of the product! At least from the videos I saw of it. I'm bleeding $$$ here for this thing:

Extra batteries, add: $200.
Hard case, add: $150.
Antenna: $120.
Lipo safety cases: $50.
128gb sd card: $75.
2 Sets of extra props: $50.
Polar Pro ND Filters: $45.

Now another $300. for RealSense? Sheesh. I'll be pushing a shopping cart looking for a place to plug my charger in. LOL.

Last edited:
Whhaaa! No. Well now that kind of sucks huh?! For all the advertising and as a KEY selling point --Maybe I missed something but EVERY indication was that it was part of the product! At least from the videos I saw of it. I'm bleeding $$$ here for this thing:

Extra batteries, add: $200.
Hard case, add: $150.
Antenna: $120.
Lipo safety cases: $50.
128gb sd card: $75.
2 Sets of extra props: $50.

Now another $300. for RealSense? Sheesh. I'll be pushing a shopping cart looking for a place to plug my charger in. LOL.

Holy crap dude, why pay for a Lipo case when Lipo bag has proven to be effective time and time again and they're like $10. No need for a 128GB card, everyone knows 64GB is the sweet spot for price and storage capacity. I can understand the props and antenna. As for the extra battery, I bought my H through Drone Mountain which has a 7-day free membership that discounts the H and the extra battery so for both I paid EXACTLY $1300 and free shipping. Now I'll admit the extra battery is still on pre-order technically but I've gotten my H and haven't found anyone else who comes close to that deal.

Holy crap dude, why pay for a Lipo case when Lipo bag has proven to be effective time and time again and they're like $10. No need for a 128GB card, everyone knows 64GB is the sweet spot for price and storage capacity. I can understand the props and antenna. As for the extra battery, I bought my H through Drone Mountain which has a 7-day free membership that discounts the H and the extra battery so for both I paid EXACTLY $1300 and free shipping. Now I'll admit the extra battery is still on pre-order technically but I've gotten my H and haven't found anyone else who comes close to that deal.

What can I say.. 'a fool and his money are soon separated' lol. I let my newcomer enthusiasm + lack of knowledge get the better of me I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop