Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A question on Accelerometer Calibration.

Reaction score
Great forum and great information. My question for the Typhoon gurus: On other drones that I own accelerometer calibration is done in flight/hover. The owners manual or lack there of says to do this with the Typhoon setting on a flat level surface.
In your opinion which is better? Hover or sitting on the ground?

Thanks,
Art

I think on the H we do that on the ground, on a nice level surface. I forget the reason we don't do this in the air, but I'm sure I've read not to at some point ! :)
Here's a video that would seem to confirm that.

The Typhoon H/H Pro can use either method to do an accelerometer calibration, but the hover version is supposed to be done in a zero wind condition which is nigh to impossible to achieve. You can read about both methods in this expanded version of the User Manual.

The method on a flat and level surface is much easier to accomplish. The only reason I could see for the hover method is if something was added or removed that changed the CG point significantly.

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-2.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 20
The Typhoon H/H Pro can use either method to do an accelerometer calibration, but the hover version is supposed to be done in a zero wind condition which is nigh to impossible to achieve. You can read about both methods in this expanded version of the User Manual.

The method on a flat and level surface is much easier to accomplish. The only reason I could see for the hover method is if something was added or removed that changed the CG point significantly.

I added the RealSense module. Not sure if this will move the CG point.

I’m not sure if it would change it that much. Use a bubble level to get a level surface (or the level app on your smart phone) and do the on the ground calibration. It should be fine. Make sure you check the box in the settings on the ST-16 for the RealSense module, if you haven’t already.

I’m not sure if it would change it that much. Use a bubble level to get a level surface (or the level app on your smart phone) and do the on the ground calibration. It should be fine. Make sure you check the box in the settings on the ST-16 for the RealSense module, if you haven’t already.

I remember why we do it while the drone is in hover on other models. It's to eliminate drifting. After doing the desktop/level surface calibration on the H there was no drift.
Thanks Guys.

Please do not mix up PID tuning and accelerometer calibration. PID tuning is usually done during flight since the values has to be constantly changed until the multirotor flies stable. Accelerometer calibration has to be performed while the model is absolutly horizontal in order to overcome the tiny differences between every sensor produced and also its placement on the curcuit board.

Reactions: PatR
Please do not mix up PID tuning and accelerometer calibration. PID tuning is usually done during flight since the values has to be constantly changed until the multirotor flies stable. Accelerometer calibration has to be performed while the model is absolutly horizontal in order to overcome the tiny differences between every sensor produced and also its placement on the curcuit board.

Finally, someone that understands[emoji2956] I’ll simply add motionless to the calibration set up requirements, although “motionless” is not entirely possible due to gravitational and earth rotational forces that are always present but are compensated for.

Accelerometers cannot be zero calibrated with the aircraft in flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval