Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Accidently took off in Smart Mode...

Long before I read here about how to disable the Smart Mode in the ST16 Settings menu, I physically disabled the Smart Mode switch position. I too had accidentally bumped the switch into "Smart" mode while flying and almost lost the TH before realizing what had happened. To prevent this from happening again, I cut an eccentric donut from some silicone fuel tubing and slipped it all the way down the switch arm. The thicker section of the donut was at the "Smart" position and the thin section was opposite. This physically blocks the switch from moving into the Smart position but has no impact on the other positions.

Reactions: klattu
Long before I read here about how to disable the Smart Mode in the ST16 Settings menu, I physically disabled the Smart Mode switch position. I too had accidentally bumped the switch into "Smart" mode while flying and almost lost the TH before realizing what had happened. To prevent this from happening again, I cut an eccentric donut from some silicone fuel tubing and slipped it all the way down the switch arm. The thicker section of the donut was at the "Smart" position and the thin section was opposite. This physically blocks the switch from moving into the Smart position but has no impact on the other positions.

That is a Smart Mod!

In reading the posts here I am going to assume this is what happened to me on my first flight with the H. Unboxed it, set it all up, initialized everything and after lifting off a few feet it took off across a road and into a stand of trees getting stuck in branches two stories up. At 63 I was so pissed I climbed the tree (small branches) and got it carrying it down one handed. Broken landing gear on one side and popped the camera off the gimbals. Think total repair cost was only $35 by the time I got everything back where it was supposed to be.

In all honesty I probably took a stupid pill and did not follow (or read) the directions feeling that my experience with my previous drone was all I needed to know. In hindsight I will do a whole lot more research next time I purchase and before I fly any new equipment.

The look on my face when it departed would probably have fallen into the 'priceless' category. Lucky I did not have the collision avoidance on because the way that thing was going it probably would have just climbed up over the trees and just kept on a going...

Reactions: klattu
Took off in SMART mode once just to see what would happen. Glad I was in the middle of a big field, got about 10 feet in the air and jumped a good 20 feet away. No wonder some pilots have flown into the side of their house on the first flight.

Easiest fix would be for the H to seek that 8m separation vertically rather than horizontally. Firmware fix to zoom UP 26ft, not OUT. Better yet, just don't permit takeoff in smart mode if it thinks it's inside the not-so-smart circle. Either of these would reduce losses...

Easiest fix would be for the H to seek that 8m separation vertically rather than horizontally. Firmware fix to zoom UP 26ft, not OUT. Better yet, just don't permit takeoff in smart mode if it thinks it's inside the not-so-smart circle. Either of these would reduce losses...

Yeh. Then the H will ram the treebranches or basketball ring overhead instead of maybe flying away. Then we will read: "And I just wanted to hover around a tiny small bit!"

The dunno's that do not want or are not able to read manuals or watch youtube movies will always find a way to either hurt themselves or destroy their 1200 bucks goodies.

Yeh. Then the H will ram the treebranches or basketball ring overhead instead of flying away.

The dunno's that do not want or are not able to read manuals or watch youtube movies will always find a way to either hurt themselves or destroy their 1200 bucks goodies.

I thought the manual was not credible?

I thought the manual was not credible?

That is what you said yes.
I read the manual and studied forums and youtube before even buying the kit. Then I bought the simulator stick to get aquainted to the ST 16 controller.

Never had any issue or surprise I could not fly away from.

Yeh. Then the H will ram the treebranches or basketball ring overhead instead of maybe flying away. Then we will read: "And I just wanted to hover around a tiny small bit!"

So apply part two: refuse to take off if in smart mode and inside smart circle.

That is what you said yes.
I read the manual and studied forums and youtube before even buying the kit. Then I bought the simulator stick to get aquainted to the ST 16 controller.

Never had any issue or surprise I could not fly away from.
Same for reading, watching, and sim. Even bought a 16 ahead of the aircraft, and it's now used for sim, a spare, and team mode.

So apply part two: refuse to take off if in smart mode and inside smart circle.

Yeh, that is exactly what I don't understand in this thread. Normally the H won't take off.

Other thread in this forum going on at the moment with a guy that does not get his H to lift off (H LED blinking its *** off I AM IN SMART MODE... YOU ARE TO CLOSE....!).

;)

Ya, I saw. And he doesn't seem to want to listen to those telling him the answer...

When taking off, smart mode will rapidly launch the drone away if you are too close. Once flying, the drone will move in the direction of the right stick, regardless of orientation.

An important lesson that reinforces the need to perform a preflight inspection that includes verification of switch positions on the controller[emoji6]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
x640536786