Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another noob...

CSI

Reaction score
My kids had heard me talk about buying a drone in the past.........anyway, today my younger son shows up at the door with a box....

A Typhoon H.........he got it from his Mother-In-Law.....long story....anyway, it's mine now.

Gonna spend the next week pouring over the owners manual (which I Had to download), and trying to figure out if it can be operated w/o the camera mounted (camera is missing).

Reactions: htmclean
My kids had heard me talk about buying a drone in the past.........anyway, today my younger son shows up at the door with a box....
A Typhoon H.........he got it from his Mother-In-Law.....long story....anyway, it's mine now.
Gonna spend the next week pouring over the owners manual (which I Had to download), and trying to figure out if it can be operated w/o the camera mounted (camera is missing).
Welcome to the group. There are lots of youtube videos that will help you get started. And, yes it will fly just fine without the camera.

Reactions: CSI
Thnx...didn't have much time at all today to even look up any videos on it, as he stopped by the house about 2 hrs before I had to be to work. My concern re the camera missing was more software related....ie, would the transmitter stop the boot up process due to get a "unable to communicate with camera" error.

Gonna be a learning curve with this...I have flown (very infrequently) fixed wing RC, and had a plethora of 1/10th scale electric stuff from when I raced RC Dirt oval back in the 90s......but this is a bit more complicated than "mash the throttle and turn left" !!! ;)

Thnx...didn't have much time at all today to even look up any videos on it, as he stopped by the house about 2 hrs before I had to be to work. My concern re the camera missing was more software related....ie, would the transmitter stop the boot up process due to get a "unable to communicate with camera" error.

Gonna be a learning curve with this...I have flown (very infrequently) fixed wing RC, and had a plethora of 1/10th scale electric stuff from when I raced RC Dirt oval back in the 90s......but this is a bit more complicated than "mash the throttle and turn left" !!! ;)
Indeed it is and you correctly assessed the learning curve. But you have an advantage with fixed wing. Many new flyers have problems with orientation when flying in Angle mode (pilot mode).

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum. I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!
*User Manuals: Support Downloads

Had to wait on some new props to come in, do some reading/video watching, and then get some honey-do's out of the way, but finally got some time this morning for my maiden flight.

1. Didn't crash.......good thing.
2. Found out that once it gets out to about 300+ feet away at 100 feet of altitude, that it can be difficult to figure out which way it is facing....
3. Question time: Can you set hover trim? It will not hold a steady altitude...it wants to gain altitude constantly.....from the moment you start the motors, it climbs.....it can be controlled with a little down stick, but should it not hold a steady altitude? Yes...I did a search, but couldn't find anything readily apparent.

300+ feet away at 100 feet of altitude, that it can be difficult to figure out which way it is facing...
When you are in Angle Mode, there is a green arrow on the display. That arrow shows you which way to move the right stick to bring the H back to the ST16. When the arrow is pointing straight up, the nose is facing you. When pointing down the nose is facing away. Learn to use the arrow. It can save you some grief.

When you are in Angle Mode, there is a green arrow on the display. That arrow shows you which way to move the right stick to bring the H back to the ST16. When the arrow is pointing straight up, the nose is facing you. When pointing down the nose is facing away. Learn to use the arrow. It can save you some grief.

Thnx....that helped ALOT !!

Re the hover issue......got it fixed.....went into the hardware settings and adjusted the "throttle" curve. At idle (for lack of a better term) point five was above above the center point.. Edited it down to just a hair above the center point, and it will now hold a hover.

Currently working on just learning how to fly it...haven't even ventured into the other features, such as orbit, etc.

Yes.......in Channel settings.
For clarification I offer the following as the preferred steps when you have an issue with the sticks or sliders:

1 Check all sticks, switches and sliders in Hardware Monitor for correct operation, smooth response and return to zero at center stick.
2 If needed perform any cleaning required to correct sticks and sliders.
3 Recheck in Hardware monitor to see if the problem is corrected.
4 If all stick movements are smooth and repeatable, but still not full scale or not returning to center, then do the ST16 calibration.

Channel settings are not a good choice for correcting a calibration issue or dirty potentiometers. It may work for a brief amount of time but the problem may reoccur as a new problem.

Dumb question here......how do I find the hardware monitor software?

I am going to check it, as you folks know drastically more about these things than I do for sure...but it is a brand new radio, so I have some reservations that it is a dirty stick that caused the issue.

Still playing around and learning.....aside from the previously mentioned hover issue I haven't had any real problems. Did get the fast beep thing a couple of days ago, but I was also within about 10 feet of an overhead powerline....once I moved a good distance away, the set up and flight went w/o a hitch.

Been playing around with video and still photos, but having to use a Go Pro, as I haven't broke down yet and bought a CGO3. I have found that w/o the gimbal, that video appears jerky as the camera picks up all of the movements of the H. No problems with still photos tho....I set the camera to take a photo every 10 seconds and flew around the neighborhood. Have not tried any "high speed" (ie...No GPS) flight yet....still not that confident, and quite frankly, it isn't a race drone, nor am I trying to keep up with traffic, etc.

For those of you that may live within five miles of an airport: Do you actually call the tower and get permission before flying? I am just inside the edge of the 5 mile mile limit of Forbes Field, Topeka......

I haven't broke down yet and bought a CGO3
Many times it more cost effective to get a used H with the camera.
Have not tried any "high speed" (ie...No GPS) flight yet....still not that confident, and quite frankly, it isn't a race drone, nor am I trying to keep up with traffic, etc.
Before you try a non-GPS flight I suggest getting the flight simulator and practicing with it. Crashes are just a game with the sim. No damage. They cost $39 from Vertigo Drones.
Do you actually call the tower and get permission before flying?
Actually you aren't required to get permission. You are required to notify the control tower where, when, how high, how long. And stay away from the departure and approach zones. You should have a spotter to help listen for approaching aircraft.

It's on the ST16. Go to System Settings, next to Channel Settings.

Flew a bit yesterday.....had some issues prior to take off (drone giving me the fast beep thing), but took off anyway.....no real issues, but now that I know what was going on, it was stupid of me to take off.

Went to take off this morning, and had the same problem......drone beeping at me real fast, and when it did take off, it immediately started moving away from me.....took full rear stick to get it to slow enough to land (lost two props when it tipped over).

Ended up doing a factory reset on the ST16 as the right stick was WAY out of calibration. I think it was starting to act up yesterday, but wasn't far enough out to cause a major issue, which is why I was still able to fly and land it w/o much problem.

Lesson learned.....pay attention to the error warnings. I went thru all of the calibration testing in the secret menu (gotta love the things you can learn on this forurm), and everything appears to be operating as intended now.

FWIW, the boot up/connection between the ST16 and the H goes MUCH faster now as well.

Keep checking the sticks in Hardware Monitor before each flight. Since you have seen a problem it may re-occur. I'm thinking that stick may need cleaning.

Reactions: CSI
Lucked out today.

Went down to the High School, as they have a soccor field, a football field, two baseball diamonds.....a lot of open area, and absolutely nobody there aside from myself. I flew the length of the football field, and then turned to the left, and after making a long lazy 200 (estimated) degree turn, began coming back in my general direction.

From 300 + feet away, it looked like I had the angle on the big light pole (over head football field lights) that would bring me past it.....

Nope. I heard the sound of impact, and the drone fell from about 40 feet.

Found it in the grass......the only visible damage is one broken prop, and some minor scratches to the motor housings on two motors...

I lucked out.....

Video would have been sweet, had I remembered to turn the **** Go Pro on.

I initially thought maybe I had a prop fly apart.....a few days ago it did tip on the street and break two props.... From my vantage point, it looked like I was a fair distance from the pole. I heard a "crack" sound, heard the motors spool up, and then it went down, givng me the "motor failure" warning.

I am just happy that it wasn't damaged worse...it landed in some fairly thick grass, which cushioned the landing.

Lucky indeed. It's really difficult to judge from a distance. It's also impossible to see dead tree branches from 500'. Just take my word on that one.
Nearly everyone has forgotten to press record at some point. I changed by routine to start recording after I start the motors. After all, it's free. Recording from launch to land is a good practice. You never know what you might see in the video after viewing it later. Might even see a kid hiding behind a building with a slingshot trying to shoot you down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss