Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another thought.......

When you run without the camera, you will not have certain visual tools, such as the green arrow. Unless you are very comfortable in flying the H on sticks alone, I would not recommend trying to fly GPS off, w/o a camera.

Good thoughts!

I will be flying tests after I've calibrated the gimbal, the accelerometer and compass. I will also let is sit on the ground without props to populate the GPS almanac for 13 min in a clear area.

I will NOT be flying with GPS off.

For the test flights I'm quite comfortable flying VLOS without the camera. The flights will be short tests where I don't go above 50' up and no more that 50-100' away from me with my controller. If everything looks good then the camera will go back on for more extensive flying. Of the two Typhoon Hs I have this camera is the sharpest and best. I don't want to jeopardize it unnecessarily.

If I get queasy about flying without the the camera I'll put the other camera on and bind to it.

How does the H react if you turn gps off during flight? Do you need extra altitude ?
I wanted to practice turning it on and off so that if I need to in an emergency, I’ll be prepared

How does the H react if you turn gps off during flight? Do you need extra altitude ?
I wanted to practice turning it on and off so that if I need to in an emergency, I’ll be prepared

I would recommend getting an inexpensive drone first and learning to fly with only the sticks on the controller. Much better to fly sticks alone without GPS this way. You'll also be flying without the camera so it will also be VLOS.

IMHO the H is amazing and does a lot for the pilot. Flying without GPS takes you to the very basics of flying. Best to learn on something that won't make you cry if it augers into the ground, a tree, etc.

Master flying the inexpensive drone and then you'll be ready to commit to flying the H without GPS.

The very best reason to purchase the Yuneec UAV Pilot simulator, is the ability to turn the GPS off on the sim and learn how the controls react on the ST-16 in GPS off mode without risking your H at all.

The instructions for turning off GPS on the simulator start at 6:28.

Reactions: rdonson
I think I've had 2 flyaways and one was for sure.

Today was the for sure flyaway. I was in a spot where I've flown a dozen times without incident. I was within 100 ft of the TH480 and it was about 50' up. I had the rate control slider in Turtle position. All of a sudden I got a GPS message on the ST-16 and it took off like a bat out of Hades, it was unresponsive to controls and no time to turn GPS off before it lodged itself about 50' up in a pine tree.

There were no GPS issues when I launched. ST-16 and TH480 had more than enough satellites and things looked good.

Now I've got to find a tree service to retrieve the TH480. There's no way I'm going up that tree.

This sux.

I guess in the future I will take a screenshot of the ST-16 to prove I had enough satellites prior to launch.

I have no idea why the GPS error happened or why the TH480 simply took off like that.

So in retrospect, what would have been the best procedure in this instance to keep the drone safe?

So in retrospect, what would have been the best procedure in this instance to keep the drone safe?

Not to have installed the battery and never powered up. When a true fly away occurs there's truly nothing one can do to prevent it. That's the same with any brand.

Reactions: rdonson
I never flew any motorized RC or drone before I bought my H.
I read a lot about drones, decided for the H and learnt the manual by heart before I bought it. I also bought a simulator and made sure it arrived at my place at least a week before the H did.

Flying the H in real was from first flight on much more fun then the simulator, and I am quite sure that was because I did fly the sim a lot.
Now I fly H a lot for about a year, never had any issue.

I think I've had 2 flyaways and one was for sure.

Today was the for sure flyaway. I was in a spot where I've flown a dozen times without incident. I was within 100 ft of the TH480 and it was about 50' up. I had the rate control slider in Turtle position. All of a sudden I got a GPS message on the ST-16 and it took off like a bat out of Hades, it was unresponsive to controls and no time to turn GPS off before it lodged itself about 50' up in a pine tree.

There were no GPS issues when I launched. ST-16 and TH480 had more than enough satellites and things looked good.

Now I've got to find a tree service to retrieve the TH480. There's no way I'm going up that tree.

This sux.

I guess in the future I will take a screenshot of the ST-16 to prove I had enough satellites prior to launch.

I have no idea why the GPS error happened or why the TH480 simply took off like that.
Wow what a story.that does suk!!

Yes, that's the nature of the beast. Thankfully these kind of events are somewhat rare but not unheard of. You can inform yourself of how to avoid and react in these events but sometimes you are at the mercy of the environment and the drone. I had no time before mine landed in a tree.

It's easy to think of drones as nice toys that are perfect. Nothing this complex is perfect. They are flying computers with sensors and a lot of computer code and sh*t happens.

I'd be willing to bet that if you have a Windows PC you've had to reboot that beast more than a few times thanks to a glitch.

Reactions: rory
Please keep in mind that I flew an H for a year and the only hiccups in the flights were pilot error.

The flyaways were on a new H I purchased in Dec 2017.

I’ve ordered a new GPS module as I’ve lost faith in this one. I will replace the GPS module before putting that bird back in the air.

The New H has a very well focused CGO3+ so I will be swapping that to the older H if I want to fly before I’m ready with the new one.

A humorous side note: my wife named the first drone “Beetlejuice” - she hoped if it disappeared we could simply say “Beetlejuice” three times and it would appear.

I named the new drone “Asimov” as I’m a long time fan of his writings and especially his “Third Law”

Wow what a story.that does suk!!

@rory , if you read this forum enough you'll find a few ways to minimize the chance of a flyaway.

- calibrate the compass and accelerometer
- give the H up to 15 min on the ground without flight in a clear area to make sure the GPS almanac is fully populated and up to date. This usually only needs to be repeated if you move a significant distance or you haven't used the aircraft for a long time
- always give a 15-60 secs after GPS READY is shown on the ST16 before flying
- take the aircraft up 20-30 ft and make sure it hovers steadily before flying around
- stay away from sources of radio interference
- stay away from large metal objects or a lot of metal objects
- stay away from power lines

Reactions: rory
Yes, that's the nature of the beast. Thankfully these kind of events are somewhat rare but not unheard of. You can inform yourself of how to avoid and react in these events but sometimes you are at the mercy of the environment and the drone. I had no time before mine landed in a tree.

It's easy to think of drones as nice toys that are perfect. Nothing this complex is perfect. They are flying computers with sensors and a lot of computer code and sh*t happens.

I'd be willing to bet that if you have a Windows PC you've had to reboot that beast more than a few times thanks to a glitch.
Yeah I hear you.my life is 70%drones.im learning alot.mostly on you tube.i read of all the drones,stats,storys.im trying to put together a club,but I guess I googled the wrong stuff.i flew twice at sunrise,was quiet and calm. No issues so far.except you seem pretty smart.im going down by the Ocean a little later,when I thaw out from the 40 degrees.im in shorts 24/7.so I have a great time.i don't drive,so I have to transport my h by hand.i don't want to do that so I'm going to buy. A big back pack,and try and customise the insert.anyway hope you get your drone back.and it's ready for the vanilla sky.have a great weekend,rory

@rory , if you read this forum enough you'll find a few ways to minimize the chance of a flyaway.

- calibrate the compass and accelerometer
- give the H up to 15 min on the ground without flight in a clear area to make sure the GPS almanac is fully populated and up to date. This usually only needs to be repeated if you move a significant distance or you haven't used the aircraft for a long time
- always give a 15-60 secs after GPS READY is shown on the ST16 before flying
- take the aircraft up 20-30 ft and make sure it hovers steadily before flying around
- stay away from sources of radio interference
- stay away from large metal objects or a lot of metal objects
- stay away from power lines
Thanks alot.i just came in from a landing session.ober dif heights, and speeds.im getting to know my drone. When I come down fast ,it's a lot of wind that comes back up from the ground.so I wait at 2 Feet or so and bring her in.sometimes I hover at just once and try and have no movement or hopping.hey do you recommend using the secret window to calibrate ,and all that. Or the st16?I've seen them turn the h over and over.i did that once,it actually worked. Well thanks for being a good pilot and having sound advice.

Has anybody considered the fact that some flyaways might be caused by dirt?

If the realsense or the sonar has any kind of dirt or even a small obstruction, it could be thought of as an obstacle and constantly tries to "get away" from it.

I think you might be using the wrong terminology. Are you referring the H avoiding something that isn't there because of debris in front of sensors or actual "Fly Aways" were the H does not respond to control and just goes bye bye, never to be seen again. o_O Get Away is very different from Fly Away.

If the GPS was better, it would be more than $40... personally, I would have happily paid a couple of hundred dollars more for better core components like the GPS unit. Just from the posts on this board, the GPS unit is known to be a crap shoot as to whether or not you have a bad one. Kind of like owning a Honda Prelude... it was known that you'd go through calipers like nothing, resulting in several complete brake jobs during the car's lifetime.

Love my stickers from them!

Ralphy's mother was right... "It's all fun and games until you shoot someone's eye out..."

Christmas Story Ralphy... I don't know about our Ralphy... ;)

lol what did i do now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval