Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anxiously Awaiting the New 520 and Cgo Pro Camera!!!

Ace

Reaction score
Hey guys...

This is my first post. I've been on the RC Groups for a couple of years but just found this place. So hello! :)

I'm a commercial drone operator and have been flying Yuneec products exclusively since the original Q500.

I currently fly the Tornado with the CGO4 and I have several Q500 4k's. I didn't upgrade to the Typhoon H because the CGO3+ wasn't really any better.

Although the CGO4 takes AMAZING video and stills, it's quite big and unable to get into tighter spots. PLUS, it's a big camera and sucks the batteries away.

So... a CGO Pro camera with a 1 inch sensor and 20mega Pixels (allegedly) and 100mb bit-rate (allegedly) would be long over due.

I've read in some posts here like from a friend down under who heard ( I know.. I know) that the 520 and camera options are coming in a couple of weeks (crosses fingers) this kind of makes sense since recently there has been deep deep discounts on the regular Typhoon H's .

Anyway, if there's anyone who has any new details I'd love to hear it. I just hope the FOV on the CGO Pro is as least 95 degrees + (doubt it) but one can wish...

Peace!

Ace

We would all like more information, but there isn't much out there yet. Lots of rumors but no official info. I really don't expect to see much until the 3rd quarter of the year so I'm dubious about the 2 weeks. I have heard that any camera designed for the H520 will fit the H.

The 520 is supposedly scheduled for a Q2 release... which would be by the end of June. However from what
I have seen posted, the CGO Pro is scheduled for Q3, so I expect it will be a longer wait for that camera.

IMG_1812.JPG
CGO3+, E90, E50
IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1814.JPG
E90
IMG_1815.JPG
E50
IMG_1816.JPG
E90 backside
Some specs
  • E50 4K camera: for monitoring and monitoring design, equipped with 50mm fixed focus lens, you can shoot up to 30fps 4K video;
  • E90 4K camera: 1 inch CMOS, 20 million pixels, you can shoot 60fps 4K video, 1080P shooting frame rate up to 120fps;
  • CGO ET PTZ camera: equipped with visible light and infrared thermal imaging lens, support dual switch work, can record 1080P thermal imaging video.

Bit more info on pricing coming out.
H520
H520 Parts and Accessories

Looks like these have realsense. Yet I have also read that the initial release won't have it. Unsure why they would not have it from the outset. All they have to do is put a little orange on the module.

Apparently these are almost silent. (Blue Thunder stealth mode ) will be interesting to see what they are really like.

I have also read that the ST16S will have the ability to fly grids/mapping. I hope that if the Speed up the St16s that the old version can still run the software. It else you will have to end up with a new controller.
Mind you if you are into commercial work. You may want it any way for two up flying.

IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1819.JPG

Credit to
完善产品布局 YUNEEC昊翔参展CES Asia - 188财富网
And
Yuneec H520 无人机国内首秀,这可不是换壳版 Typhoon H-IT大道

As a satisfied user of the Typhoon H for just over a year now I can say from experience - do not make plans based on anticipated products. Yuneec have a very relaxed approach to release dates I would add 6 months to any announcement and don't rely on it till it is actually with the dealers.

Reactions: PatR
I've got my eye on the H520 but I've decided to wait for a while after they are released.

When I bought my H it was one of the first available to the consumer in the U.K. and I took delivery of it on 1st June 2016. Until now I've had few complaints, It has done it's job to my expectations but, overall, I still have the impression that it was released a bit early and some issues have not been fully ironed out a full year on. For example, I still have the issue of video dropping out sometimes when I raise the landing gear (interestingly, though, my last two flights it didn't do this).
Overall, then, I'm happy with my H but I won't be one of the first to get a H520. I expect I will have one but only after a few months have passed after it's release. If it's launched in the fourth quarter then I'll probably wait until next year.

Last edited:
We would all like more information, but there isn't much out there yet. Lots of rumors but no official info. I really don't expect to see much until the 3rd quarter of the year so I'm dubious about the 2 weeks. I have heard that any camera designed for the H520 will fit the H.

Hey Steve,

Coming from a corporate background, the "3rd quarter" begins July 1st. So here's hoping... :)

View attachment 6281
CGO3+, E90, E50
View attachment 6282 View attachment 6283
E90
View attachment 6284
E50
View attachment 6285
E90 backside
Some specs
  • E50 4K camera: for monitoring and monitoring design, equipped with 50mm fixed focus lens, you can shoot up to 30fps 4K video;
  • E90 4K camera: 1 inch CMOS, 20 million pixels, you can shoot 60fps 4K video, 1080P shooting frame rate up to 120fps;
  • CGO ET PTZ camera: equipped with visible light and infrared thermal imaging lens, support dual switch work, can record 1080P thermal imaging video.

Bit more info on pricing coming out.
H520
H520 Parts and Accessories

Looks like these have realsense. Yet I have also read that the initial release won't have it. Unsure why they would not have it from the outset. All they have to do is put a little orange on the module.

Apparently these are almost silent. (Blue Thunder stealth mode ) will be interesting to see what they are really like.

I have also read that the ST16S will have the ability to fly grids/mapping. I hope that if the Speed up the St16s that the old version can still run the software. It else you will have to end up with a new controller.
Mind you if you are into commercial work. You may want it any way for two up flying.

View attachment 6286
View attachment 6287
View attachment 6288

Credit to
完善产品布局 YUNEEC昊翔参展CES Asia - 188财富网
And
Yuneec H520 无人机国内首秀,这可不是换壳版 Typhoon H-IT大道

GREAT pictures... it's my understanding that the E50 is a 50MM lens and the E90 is a 90MM lens. Is this correct? Not very good for landscape shots... we need a E12 version haha... Thanks again for the NEW pictures!!!

GREAT pictures... it's my understanding that the E50 is a 50MM lens and the E90 is a 90MM lens. Is this correct? Not very good for landscape shots... we need a E12 version haha... Thanks again for the NEW pictures!!!

Considering the current available lens selections are 3.29mm OEM, PixAero 3.77mm and Peau 8.25mm,
the longer focal lengths you are describing above are not correct.

Pretty hard to make and market a "one size fits all" camera using only one lens, even if it's a telephoto, which brings a plethora of gimbal balance, stabilization and focal length adjustment issues along with it. The big name camera makers recognized this a long, long time ago.

Something that might be considered for the 520 batteries would be to change the color of the battery latch end. Thee have been too many power loss crashes caused by users failing to properly seat the battery and making the end a color different from the aircraft would automatically draw the users eyes to the battery. helping to increase battery awareness.

Speaking of batteries, I doubt all three camera models will be of the same weight, and expect all of them will will be heavier than the existing CGO-3+ camera. More weight requires more battery if a reasonable level of flight time is desired, and differences in camera weights will generate more or less flight time depending on the camera being used. Inspire users that change between a fixed and zoom lens camera already know this, experiencing much less flight time with the zoom lens camera. I fully expect some buyers of the 520 will lack that understanding and end up complaining vociferously about low flight times if using the heaviest camera.

F.V.
I don't know why it is so but the camera drop out with landing gear action has been pretty much limited to the E.U. version of the H. That version differs from the U.S. version only in the firmware. How that causes conflict between the landing gear and camera is beyond me. A general interest question; Does the E.U version of the H use the PAL image format?

Considering the current available lens selections are 3.29mm OEM, PixAero 3.77mm and Peau 8.25mm,
the longer focal lengths you are describing above are not correct.

Hey, I'm not talking about the tiny lens for the cgo3+. These are larger lens and there's a correlation between the number and the mm.

Yuneec H520 Bundle - E50, Extra Battery, Lumecube, Hoodman Sunshade, Pelican Case

For example, a 12mm on my micro 4/3 CGO4 yields an 84 degrees FOV. Etc. a 50mm would be like a 60 degree fov ala... no use for wide-angle .

A true 50mm lens is designed to produce an image that closely resembles what is seen by the human eye. Not good for wide angle but a lot better for imagery providing increased detail and crop factors.

A true 50mm lens is designed to produce an image that closely resembles what is seen by the human eye. Not good for wide angle but a lot better for imagery providing increased detail and crop factors.

I hear ya... for purely "imaging" it's the way to go. But it's dicey shooting aerial video at the focal length in my experience.

I'm "distressed". Paid $1800 for CGO-ET that won't film in thermal at all and they immediate follow it with one that does!?! Yuneec should offer a trade-in for the first model.

I'm "distressed". Paid $1800 for CGO-ET that won't film in thermal at all and they immediate follow it with one that does!?! Yuneec should offer a trade-in for the first model.

One thing I've learned from Yuneec is not to buy something when it goes on sale because it means something better is incoming. It happened when I purchased (on sale) my original Q500. Two weeks later, the Q500+ dropped, lol. Hence, I know new stuff is coming because of the recent deep discounts on the standard Typhoon H.

Nevertheless, if you bought a "thermal" camera, and it doesn't film in thermal, isn't that false advertising? Fraud etc? Reach out to them or go post on their Facebook page.

Last edited:
...<snip>... A general interest question; Does the E.U version of the H use the PAL image format?
Not sure about the rest of Europe (I've never seen myself as an European but that's a thing for another forum) but in the U.K. PAL is the standard for television. This doesn't apply with the H video, though. The image format (codecs) is the same as yours as far as I know.

...<snip>...

F.V.
I don't know why it is so but the camera drop out with landing gear action has been pretty much limited to the E.U. version of the H. That version differs from the U.S. version only in the firmware. How that causes conflict between the landing gear and camera is beyond me. ...<snip>
Thing is that the drop-out doesn't happen all the time. I've seen it happen on several back to back flights then no drop out for a few flights, then drop-outs again. For me it just isn't consistent and I have no indication to suspect a drop-out will occur, or not, for any one particular flight.

Generally, when it occurs in front of most clients, I can gloss over it because I usually reestablish connection within around a minute. It's not really a problem for me as I usually use that time to check my controls, test yaw and other things for responsiveness, but it is very annoying especially if a more knowledgeable client has noticed I'm not getting video for that time. They ask questions...and rightly so.

I'm hoping that this will not be an issue in the EU H520 which is one reason why I will hold off from getting one for a few months after its release. After a year of this issue with the H I would have thought that it would have been sorted out by now. If it's evident with the H520 then my experience with the H tells me that it wouldn't be rectified any time soon in the H520.

I *think* the numbers refer to FOV - the field of view expressed as an angle. So you get a 50 degree field of view (narrower focus) or 90 degree field of view (wide angle).

For comparison, the CGO3+ is around 85 degrees horizontal angle, so the E90 would be a little bit wider.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital