Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery adapter for the Typhoon-H on the way

so I finally bought some Deans connector. I will design the holder so you can easily press those stock deans connector into the 3d printed part solder the battery leads to them and then plug the battery into the typhoon.
of course on one side you would only need half of a regular dean connector so one port will not be connected but i think it is the simplest way to integrate good connectors into the 3d printed part.

Andy

Reactions: Ralphy
Cool thanks for sharing, We would like to try lipos that others have used with good life expectancy and performance. Hopefully we can get feedback on those models you listed.

As far as width we can do 50mm because the custom tray will be hollowed out on the sides and length wise im going with

Some other options in no paricular order, some more expensive than others.

Gens ace 6000mAh 14.8V 35C 4S1P Lipo Battery

Glacier 30C 6000mAh 4S 14.8V LiPo Battery (maybe a bit long but good in other aspects)

ZIPPY Compact 5800mAh 4S 25C Lipo Pack

ZIPPY Compact 6200mAh 4s 40c Lipo Pack ( this looks decent option but maybe too long?)

Multistar High Capacity 4S 6600mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack ( would need to check amp draw before commiting to these but i suspect would be okay. not the best, but is light)

For the record again, advertised C ratings are not worth the label they are printed on.

As a guide, 15 min flight and 6000mah back into the battery would be 24amp average draw for the flight.

Has anyone done a timed flight and has the numbers?

Btw, nice work glider and ralphy.

I know a few people with 500 cycles on their zippy compacts in big planes...but just because theirs work doesnt mean the rest of the range will though!

Dont worry about the expectancy too much, this hex is not going to stress out any of the lipos above with the possible exception of the ms one from hk.

I think the shell will be a great option. Ive had the Cheerson CX 20 and have done some mods on it to allow larger lipos for longer flight times but I had to modify the battery bay to do it. Having a 3d printed case/shell will allow some options. I dont have a 3d printer but i can solder and have a few turnigy batteries laying around. Not sure if I have anything to offer in help but following the progress. Great work.

The MULTISTAR HIGH CAPACITY 4S 6600MAH are great. I use the 5200mAh ones since severall months on my other camera drone (75 flights). As long as you are not racing with the typhoon all the time they deliver enough juice and won't puff.
I will order 2 of the 6600mah and try to build the battery tray around them.

Andy

I think the shell will be a great option. Ive had the Cheerson CX 20 and have done some mods on it to allow larger lipos for longer flight times but I had to modify the battery bay to do it. Having a 3d printed case/shell will allow some options. I dont have a 3d printer but i can solder and have a few turnigy batteries laying around. Not sure if I have anything to offer in help but following the progress. Great work.

Once i finish this project up I can help you out with a prototype tray for your copter. Thats a cool quad when i saw the pic i thought it was a DJI

The MULTISTAR HIGH CAPACITY 4S 6600MAH are great. I use the 5200mAh ones since severall months on my other camera drone (75 flights). As long as you are not racing with the typhoon all the time they deliver enough juice and won't puff.
I will order 2 of the 6600mah and try to build the battery tray around them.

Andy

Andy thanks for that input its just they are highly priced right now compared to the other better options. Good to know it has delivered good results for you, if i find a good deal on them i'll give it a shot. I dont want my copter to fall out of the sky with a battery that keep up with it.

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
Once i finish this project up I can help you out with a prototype tray for your copter. Thats a cool quad when i saw the pic i thought it was a DJI

Ive had all kinds of issues with the CX 20. ESC's going bad, stability when hovering is horrible. Its a Cheap replica that i would recommend people putting that $250 towards a better platform. Its been a nightmare.

If anyone is looking for a $30 soft backpack that fits the H foam, look at this listing on ebay i found.. I posted a thread on it a couple days ago and they still have stock.

Easy Carrying Backpack Shoulder Bag Case For YUNEEC Typhoon H H480 UAV Rc Drone

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Last edited:
Thats it, if the 3d printer properly knocks it out it will take 6 hrs to print and a good amount of PLA filament. Once i get the dean connectors i'll split them and model in the slots to epoxy them in. And i'm not sure if i need the alignment slots on the sides of the front tongue for it to fit into the copter. Ill look inside of it when i get home.

progress Capture.JPG

Ive had all kinds of issues with the CX 20. ESC's going bad, stability when hovering is horrible. Its a Cheap replica that i would recommend people putting that $250 towards a better platform. Its been a nightmare.

Dude i had similar issues in the 3d printing world, sometimes saving a little money gets you huge headaches. I see it all as a fun learning process.

To lock/hold the battery in place you could just use a wire bale. Put a detent on the back side of the battery case and slide the bale over it.
Will have a clear look at my H tonight and see if something could be rigged up.

Cool worth a shot but the wire bale witll have to be drilled into the copter?

I got a roll of duct tape ready to secure it :)

How thick is the material you plan to use around the batteries?
Could use a pin that slides through the case near the battery connector.
Dang I hate being at work, have several ideas for securing the pack, but need myH to look at.

I've used the multistars LiHV 5200 and 6600 as aux batts for Phantom drones. HOWEVER these are Lihv, just as the P4 and P3 batteries.AFAIK the Typhoon H batteries are not Lihv but normal lipo. So LIHV batteries will not work well and might even damage the bird!
Also,the Phantoms only draw 15-20 amps, the Typhoon H seems to draw more, so I guess batteries below 25C should be tested thoroughly!

Cool worth a shot but the wire bale witll have to be drilled into the copter?

I got a roll of duct tape ready to secure it :)
I've used the multistars LiHV 5200 and 6600 as aux batts for Phantom drones. HOWEVER these are Lihv, just as the P4 and P3 batteries.AFAIK the Typhoon H batteries are not Lihv but normal lipo. So LIHV batteries will not work well and might even damage the bird!
Also,the Phantoms only draw 15-20 amps, the Typhoon H seems to draw more, so I guess batteries below 25C should be tested thoroughly!

OK thats good but i think all the options contributed here are lipo batteries not LiHV. So a 15c might not be enough for the H, how trustworthy are those c ratings on the lipos anyways?

there is no way on earth you need 25c batts for this thing, a good 10c is enough in theory and anything over15c is plenty. however, there is nothing wrong with using a bigger C battery if it fits the bill ofcourse :)

the typhoon draws only a couple of amps more than the P4 the maths would suggest, once someone posts flight times and MAH put back in we will know for sure. i will try tomorrow if i can.

Last edited:
In post #92
The picture has the holder going full length,. Maybe it only needs to go 1/4 or 1/3 the length, and use shrink wrap over the whole thing. May save a gram in weight.

how trustworthy are those c ratings on the lipos anyways?

basically you can't trust them as no one agrees on how to rate them. some do it based on theoretical output at safe temp, some give you ACTUAL but those are only the very well respected companies, some just whack a sticker on them and make it up to compete with bigger brands (more common).

the thing in our favour here is most lipos are never ever going to be taxed in a hex this size, especially the model lipos we are looking at as they are made with much higher amps in mind (unless you get a specific MS pack).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval