Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Adapter, Typhoon H, DIY

Just some anecdotal numbers for H batteries currently on hand.

A stock Yuneec Power 4 battery weighs in the area of 570g. They are not of consistent weight.
The Power 4 battery measures 154.5mm from the back of the battery to the bottom of the forward slope.
The new 7000mA battery is 138.16mm long.
The old 7000mA batteries are 138.32mm long.
The new 7000mA battery weighs 559g.
This first old 7000mA battery weighed 599g.
The 6000mA battery used for the first flight test weighs 542.3g, is 147.15mm long, and extends 10mm to the rear of the aircraft. the aircraft.
All three 7000mA batteries fit pretty much flush with the back of the battery bay.

The one crappy number from all of this stuff is that after market battery prices are going way up. Both the 6000mA and 7000mA batteries cost close enough to $100 each to call it that when shipping or sales tax is added. When both are added they exceed $100.00.

The one crappy number from all of this stuff is that after market battery prices are going way up. Both the 6000mA and 7000mA batteries cost close enough to $100 each to call it that when shipping or sales tax is added. When both are added they exceed $100.00.
The 6300mah 14.8v Lipo from eBay for $45'ish has been my number one favorite alternative battery for the H.
There are many available and they fit the H's battery bay like a glove.
The only problem I see with them is the way they are listed. There are 22 listings but none show the actual battery in the first photo. You need to go into the listing and scroll through the photos to find the photo of the battery you will receive.
Other than the issue with seeing the correct photo in the listing they are great batteries the exact same weight, physical size, and amperage. Plus they come in a hard shell, that like I said fits or battery bay perfectly. Only leaving room for wires to run down the side for us to make the battery connection.
I won't leave a eBay link since after time the links stop working. So search "6300mah 14.8v LiPo" look at most of the batteries in the $45 range and check around the 3rd photo to see the actual hard shell battery I am talking about.

After all most of us would like to save money by using alternative batteries. Plus this battery has had a good supply, price, and its size has gone unchanged (comes in a hard shell) in the last year and a half I have been watching it.

Last edited:
Due to the advice of the esteemed Mr. Carr this is being posted as a PDF for several reasons. First, it's long-real long. For those that want to download any of it a PDF makes it easier. For me it made it easier to post without having to work around post word counts and posts from people with questions before the primary info was finished posting. So, for those with interest, desire, and ability, is the first part of making a battery adapter for the Typhoon H. Unfortunately it focuses on a temporary adapter, which is the most difficult one to make and, IMO, not the one you really want to do. But it's an option you didn't have before.

This thread will be updated with performance data as it is developed. So have fun with a 13 page read, and think about things before doing them.

The amended PDF contains the results of the first flight test. Link to the amended PDF file in Dropbox: DIY Batt Adapter_2.pdf
Thanks for putting your time and effort into this much needed modification Pat

The 6300mah 14.8v Lipo from eBay for $45'ish has been my number one favorite alternative battery for the H.
There are many available and they fit the H's battery bay like a glove.
The only problem I see with them is the way they are listed. There are 22 listings but none show the actual battery in the first photo. You need to go into the listing and scroll through the photos to find the photo of the battery you will receive.
Other than the issue with seeing the correct photo in the listing they are great batteries the exact same weight, physical size, and amperage. Plus they come in a hard shell, that like I said fits or battery bay perfectly. Only leaving room for wires to run down the side for us to make the battery connection.
I won't leave a eBay link since after time the links stop working. So search "6300mah 14.8v LiPo" look at most of the batteries in the $45 range and check around the 3rd photo to see the actual hard shell battery I am talking about.

After all most of us would like to save money by using alternative batteries. Plus this battery has had a good supply, price, and its size has gone unchanged (comes in a hard shell) in the last year and a half I have been watching it.
Haven't been able to find anything that cheap on eBay UK, once you add in import and postage it's quite expensive.

Haven't been able to find anything that cheap on eBay UK, once you add in import and postage it's quite expensive.
What happens if you buy from BangGood.com
Im pretty sure you should be able to find the same battery from that site? If it would have lower shipping cost?

Last edited:
What happens if you buy from BangGood.com
Im pretty sure you should be able to find the same battery from that site? If it would have lower shipping cost?
Amazon have tattu at £75 at least there's a return policy as insurance.

We might look at all this and recognize there is no shortage of batteries for an H. Questions about where, type, and price will continue but we know we won’t be running out of an effective power supply any time soon.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Just finished a couple flights with the 6000mA and new 7000mA battery. Obtained good info from the 6000mA flight but there was a “user error” in correctly starting the motor on timer for the 7000mA flight. Have to do that one again.

A couple things of interest. The minor “toilet bowling” evident in an earlier old 7000mA flight did not manifest in either flight. On the earlier flight where toilet bowling did manifest I had the two forward booms linked together with a carbon fiber rod crossing over them immediately aft of the motors. For these two flights that crossbeam had been removed. The crossbeam may have been the cause of the toilet bowling by interfering with accelerometer feedback from the two motors to the FC.

The 6000mA battery provided exactly the same flight time as its first flight from motor on to a 14.3V landing.

Current and wattage values for both batteries was very similar to previous test flights.

Both batteries were above 16.7v at time of power up. Both had been sitting for 3 days after charging so one was at 16.72V while the other was at 16.77V. The ammeter displayed correct voltage for each but the ST-16 displayed only 16.6V at power up. Battery voltage was verified by two different testing tools prior to being inserted into the ST-16 and the ammeter actively displayed battery voltage throughout the power up process.

Flight profiles ranged from extremely aggressive to casual and passive. Very hard maneuvering was executed with no evidence of instability or negative reactions from an aft C/G.

Positional stability in hover, both clear of ground effect and within 2’ of the ground was quite good. The usual minor drift (about a foot in any direction) was observed but the aircraft did quite well maintaining a good positional “average”. There were no indications of GPS or compass interference.

I’ll do a couple more “numbers” flights and then try Shockazulu’s adapter. After that is concluded I’ll do a couple flights without the ammeter to establish flight time after dropping the weight and C/G alteration from the ammeter.

Last edited:
Due to the advice of the esteemed Mr. Carr this is being posted as a PDF for several reasons. First, it's long-real long. For those that want to download any of it a PDF makes it easier. For me it made it easier to post without having to work around post word counts and posts from people with questions before the primary info was finished posting. So, for those with interest, desire, and ability, is the first part of making a battery adapter for the Typhoon H. Unfortunately it focuses on a temporary adapter, which is the most difficult one to make and, IMO, not the one you really want to do. But it's an option you didn't have before.

This thread will be updated with performance data as it is developed. So have fun with a 13 page read, and think about things before doing them.

The amended PDF contains the results of the first flight test. Link to the amended PDF file in
I did not realizeDropbox: DIY Batt Adapter_2.pdf

I will pass on the modification.
I did not realize my simple question, of a guess or estimate in ones opinion of when batteries or parts
for my TH 480 would turn into all of this.
Thanks
Keith

We might look at all this and recognize there is no shortage of batteries for an H. Questions about where, type, and price will continue but we know we won’t be running out of an effective power supply any time soon.

I feel better now.
Somewhat.
Cuz time does zip by fast
Keith

Just finished a couple flights with the 6000mA and new 7000mA battery. Obtained good info from the 6000mA flight but there was a “user error” in correctly starting the motor on timer for the 7000mA flight. Have to do that one again.

A couple things of interest. The minor “toilet bowling” evident in an earlier old 7000mA flight did not manifest in either flight. On the earlier flight where toilet bowling did manifest I had the two forward booms linked together with a carbon fiber rod crossing over them immediately aft of the motors. For these two flights that crossbeam had been removed. The crossbeam may have been the cause of the toilet bowling by interfering with accelerometer feedback from the two motors to the FC.

The 6000mA battery provided exactly the same flight time as its first flight from motor on to a 14.3V landing.

Current and wattage values for both batteries was very similar to previous test flights.

Both batteries were above 16.7v at time of power up. Both had been sitting for 3 days after charging so one was at 16.72V while the other was at 16.77V. The ammeter displayed correct voltage for each but the ST-16 displayed only 16.6V at power up. Battery voltage was verified by two different testing tools prior to being inserted into the ST-16 and the ammeter actively displayed battery voltage throughout the power up process.

Flight profiles ranged from extremely aggressive to casual and passive. Very hard maneuvering was executed with no evidence of instability or negative reactions from an aft C/G.

Positional stability in hover, both clear of ground effect and within 2’ of the ground was quite good. The usual minor drift (about a foot in any direction) was observed but the aircraft did quite well maintaining a good positional “average”. There were no indications of GPS or compass interference.

I’ll do a couple more “numbers” flights and then try Shockazulu’s adapter. After that is concluded I’ll do a couple flights without the ammeter to establish flight time after dropping the weight and C/G alteration from the ammeter.

What was this carbon fiber
Rod thing, you speak of ?

The rod was a piece of 0.0625" (1/16") diameter carbon tow spanning across the two forward motor booms to create a means to hang a balance offset weight between the booms as forward as possible. Turned out it probably wasn't a good idea as it may have corrupted stability feedback to the flight controller.

Just some anecdotal numbers for H batteries currently on hand.

A stock Yuneec Power 4 battery weighs in the area of 570g. They are not of consistent weight.
The Power 4 battery measures 154.5mm from the back of the battery to the bottom of the forward slope.
The new 7000mA battery is 138.16mm long.
The old 7000mA batteries are 138.32mm long.
The new 7000mA battery weighs 559g.
This first old 7000mA battery weighed 599g.
The 6000mA battery used for the first flight test weighs 542.3g, is 147.15mm long, and extends 10mm to the rear of the aircraft. the aircraft.
All three 7000mA batteries fit pretty much flush with the back of the battery bay.

Very interesting, I hope
my OEM batteries last for a couple more years.
I have 4 & I don't fly
alot .thanks for your input
Keith

Before writing about the next flight using the 7000mA battery I'd like to make reference to how I view "useful battery time". The reason for this is because I believe some people may be powering up the aircraft and letting it sit undisturbed for many minutes before arming the motors and flying, while others may use "hover time" to gauge a battery's useful time period. I've run the camera on an H in a constant pan for almost an hour and only depleted the battery by less than 1V, so "system on" time where the motors had not been armed can skew "flight time" estimates by quite a lot and invalidate battery time values in the process. There's something interesting observations the "hover in place" flight times.

From my perspective the useful battery time is all about "flight time", or that period in which the motors are armed, used, and disarmed at the end of the flight. A battery can be used for several hours after being charged as long as the motors are not armed, and the time recorded without the motor loads are of little or no value to the average user. Whether loading a GPS Almanac, fussing with camera settings, calibrating accelerometers or the compass, the current load on the battery is very small. Using the motors is where battery consumption is a high value. The above is why whenever I am trying to obtain battery "flight times" I use at least two timers; one to log the total time the aircraft was powered up and the other to time motor use from arming to shut down. Those that wanted to try doing the same might find interesting how much time the aircraft can be powered up without arming the motors and not have much impact on flight time.

So, with all that out of the way the following is the data from the net flight using the 7000mA battery. Note I allowed 5 days to accumulate between battery charging and use as things got in the way of flying. Because of that battery voltage had dropped to 16.75V as measured with an aftermarket modeling volt meter, and/or 16.71V as measured with the Watts Up volt and ammeter. As the ST-16 seems to not display anything over 16.6V I wonder if any of that matters much.

Conditions:
79.4*F
35.1% RH
29.51"Hg
364' Elevation above sea level
~2010' Density Altitude
0 mph-2 mph wind

Flight Data:
Total "battery on" time: 0:19:25
Total "flight time": 0:14:25
Time to achieve 10 satellites by the aircraft and ST-16: under 0:1:30
Voltage after turning off motors: 14.49V
Voltage after aircraft shutdown: 15.03V

Landing voltage: 14.3V, maintaining consistency with previous flight tests.
Total Watt Hours: 67.8
Peak Watts: 511.8
Peak Amps: 32.11
Total Amp Hours: 4.501

Hover stability: Excellent

Just for giggles this flight was a hover only flight at an altitude of 26' above the ground to gauge the flight time difference between actually flying and hovering. Big surprise from that as the difference in flight time between an all hovering and my "normal" flying style. Hands off hovering for the entire flight did not cause a significant differnce in flight time from that obtained during a "maneuvering" flight. Peak amps for this hover only flight were lower than what was demanded during previous flights but that is to be expected. Even more intriguing is that with all the different batteries I've used in my H's, my flight times have consistently fallen within a fairly narrow time range. The flights that have been of shorter than an "average" duration all occurred during high wind conditions.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion those on a quest for significantly more flight time with an H are chasing rainbows. The difference in flight time between 6000mA and 7000mA batteries is insignificant. The flight times some have stated while using an 8000mA GiFi battery have not provided enough additional flight time to write home about, which is sort of important considering he "hit or miss" life span reported with those batteries.

Last edited:
I did that the other day, let the H sit on the dock with only the camera and sound on.
Sound was crapy, all I got was static. Later I hovered in place, sound was ok, all I could here was wind blast from the props, no buzzzzzzz.

I did not realize my simple question, of a guess or estimate in ones opinion of when batteries or parts
for my TH 480 would turn into all of this.
Thanks
Keith

You're welcome Keith. It's not all just for you though. We see soooo many people asking the same questions over and over again, with most of them being answered by people providing opinions and estimates. Opinions and estimates are not facts backed up with science or facts. I felt it was long past time that we do what was necessary to know what we deal with rather than having to guess at it. As I had the tools, the time, and the ability why not do it? I wasn't too keen on buying more batteries I didn't need but that was the only way to learn what I wanted to learn.

Ya never know, if the fancy strikes me I might break out the in flight data collection and telemetry system and generate some temperature numbers for the system in flight. Hardest part of that will be establishing a constant 5V power source inside the aircraft.

Last edited:
You're welcome Keith. It's not all just for you though. We see soooo many people asking the same questions over and over again, with most of them being answered by people providing opinions and estimates. Opinions and estimates are not facts backed up with science or facts. I felt it was long past time that we do what was necessary to know what we deal with rather than having to guess at it. As I had the tools, the time, and the ability why not do it? I wasn't too keen on buying more batteries I didn't need but that was the only way to learn what I wanted to learn.

Ya never know, if the fancy strikes me I might break out the in flight data collection and telemetry system and generate some temperature numbers for the system in flight. Hardest part of that will be establishing a constant 5V power source inside the aircraft.

Ok
Thanks Pat

Before writing about the next flight using the 7000mA battery I'd like to make reference to how I view "useful battery time". The reason for this is because I believe some people may be powering up the aircraft and letting it sit undisturbed for many minutes before arming the motors and flying, while others may use "hover time" to gauge a battery's useful time period. I've run the camera on an H in a constant pan for almost an hour and only depleted the battery by less than 1V, so "system on" time where the motors had not been armed can skew "flight time" estimates by quite a lot and invalidate battery time values in the process. There's something interesting observations the "hover in place" flight times.

From my perspective the useful battery time is all about "flight time", or that period in which the motors are armed, used, and disarmed at the end of the flight. A battery can be used for several hours after being charged as long as the motors are not armed, and the time recorded without the motor loads are of little or no value to the average user. Whether loading a GPS Almanac, fussing with camera settings, calibrating accelerometers or the compass, the current load on the battery is very small. Using the motors is where battery consumption is a high value. The above is why whenever I am trying to obtain battery "flight times" I use at least two timers; one to log the total time the aircraft was powered up and the other to time motor use from arming to shut down. Those that wanted to try doing the same might find interesting how much time the aircraft can be powered up without arming the motors and not have much impact on flight time.

So, with all that out of the way the following is the data from the net flight using the 7000mA battery. Note I allowed 5 days to accumulate between battery charging and use as things got in the way of flying. Because of that battery voltage had dropped to 16.75V as measured with an aftermarket modeling volt meter, and/or 16.71V as measured with the Watts Up volt and ammeter. As the ST-16 seems to not display anything over 16.6V I wonder if any of that matters much.

Conditions:
79.4*F
35.1% RH
29.51"Hg
364' Elevation above sea level
~2010' Density Altitude
0 mph-2 mph wind

Flight Data:
Total "battery on" time: 0:19:25
Total "flight time": 0:14:25
Time to achieve 10 satellites by the aircraft and ST-16: under 0:1:30
Voltage after turning off motors: 14.49V
Voltage after aircraft shutdown: 15.03V

Landing voltage: 14.3V, maintaining consistency with previous flight tests.
Total Watt Hours: 67.8
Peak Watts: 511.8
Peak Amps: 32.11
Total Amp Hours: 4.501

Hover stability: Excellent

Just for giggles this flight was a hover only flight at an altitude of 26' above the ground to gauge the flight time difference between actually flying and hovering. Big surprise from that as the difference in flight time between an all hovering and my "normal" flying style. Hands off hovering for the entire flight did not cause a significant differnce in flight time from that obtained during a "maneuvering" flight. Peak amps for this hover only flight were lower than what was demanded during previous flights but that is to be expected. Even more intriguing is that with all the different batteries I've used in my H's, my flight times have consistently fallen within a fairly narrow time range. The flights that have been of shorter than an "average" duration all occurred during high wind conditions.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion those on a quest for significantly more flight time with an H are chasing rainbows. The difference in flight time between 6000mA and 7000mA batteries is insignificant. The flight times some have stated while using an 8000mA GiFi battery have not provided enough additional flight time to write home about, which is sort of important considering he "hit or miss" life span reported with those batteries.

Wow
You pretty much told the complete story here.
Thanks again Pat
Keith Kuhn

Reactions: Andrew Grant
With the underwhelming response to this thread I was sorely tempted to let it lay and go fly, but in the interest of finishing what I started some data was captured from today's first flight of the new battery arrangement.

First and foremost, it works, and works just fine. Secondly, I'm calling B.S. to Yuneec's 5400mA labeling on their factory H battery Ain't no way, not possible, no how, and there's only one three letter word I have for their mA labeling practices. It's simply not possible for a 5400mA, low C rated battery to provide more flight time than a 6000mA, 35C rated battery, even allowing the 6000mA equipped aircraft weighed 70g more than stock. For the record, my usual flight time for a 6300mA factory shell battery runs between 13 and 15 minutes, landing at 14.4V. The first flight of the 6000mA battery, flying aggressively for half the flight and hovering the other half, provided 0:13:37 minutes to the first low V (14.3V) warning, landing at 0:14:09. Total power on time for the battery was 0:17:47

Since most are primarily concerned with "how much flight time?" I can say the first flight with the 6000mA battery was about average for what I normally obtain from a 6300mA battery. I'll be doing a flight with a 7000mA battery shortly just to see the difference, if any.

For those that like numbers, the following.

Aircraft weight for the flight was 2018 grams
Stock aircraft weight is ~1948 grams
Aircraft Test Weight Delta: +70 grams

Amount of battery extending aft of the battery well: 10mm
Power On Battery Voltage: 16.74V
Power On voltage drop: 16.74V down to 16.71V, or 0.03V
Power On Amps: 0.88
Motors On Amps: 3.06 initial spike, falling to 2.91A
Camera Recording Amps: 0.88 climbing to 0.91V, or 0.03V
Hover Amps: 19.5A variable to 20.8A
Voltage at Landing: 14.3V
Voltage Rebound, Motors Off: 14.68V
Gear Swing: ~1A Hover voltage at 19.5A, gear swing increases current to 20.69A
Peak current, entire flight: 44.64A
Peak Watts: 677.1

The aircraft was flown in Angle mode at "Rabbit" speed for the entire flight. GPS was turned off for a portion of the flight to obtain maximum speed and climb rates. Full power climbs combined with maximum forward flight and maximum roll maneuvering were performed to maximize current demand. Absolutely no negative flight performance was experienced in any part of the flight. Hover was stable. maneuvering was normal. Braking was crisp. Take off and landings were both what I would call normal, with zero issues landing in an 8mph cross wind. Landing was "full stop", upright on the ground, without any thought of using the arming button to assist. General weather was clear, dry, and ~82*F.

The test aircraft carried a Watts Up ammeter affixed to the back of the camera gimbal that weighs 71.5 grams. If we deduct for the Watts Up the test weight aircraft and a stock aircraft are within a gram or so of each other, ready to fly. The only performance question I have after the flight is how the test aircraft CG compares to the CG of a stock aircraft.

Fore and aft Center of gravity was checked by balancing the aircraft on balance beams perpendicular to the two arms on each side of the aircraft. Lateral CG was not checked. As someone mentioned in another thread, the Typhoon H has an aft CG when in stock form. As I have yet to check balance of a stock aircraft I do not know if the CG condition is the same or worse with the test aircraft. What I can say for certain is that it required 155 grams of ballast to move the CG forward enough to balance the aircraft on the side to side arms. We might want to note the aircraft body is roughly 195mm long and the side to side arms are positioned ~95mm aft of the front of the aircraft, ~100mm forward of the back of the aircraft. They are not at frame center.
Edit: boom location revised a couple posts later. Correct boom location is 103mm aft of the nose.

The next flight will use a 7000mA battery that weighs just a little more than the 6000mA battery but is 8 grams less in weight than a stock Yuneec "5400mA" battery, and does not extend past the end of the battery well at all. BTW, I'm calling their battery 6300mA from this point forward unless and until they prove to the contrary.

First flight impressions? It works just fine and I could not see or "feel" any difference between the test aircraft and a stock aircraft. I won't ever be buying another factory shell Typhoon H battery. After the 7000mA test flights, I'll be changing out the temporary adapter for the permanent version. It's lighter, eliminates an intermediate pair of connectors, and opens up a few mm of space in the battery well. I'm considering obtaining a more forward gimbal mount to better offset the aft CG to see how it affects flight performance and time.

Just some battery/flight duration RIP (Random Information Particles): I've had my Typhoon H (with RealSense installed) for around 14 months. All my flying so far has been with one of the three Yuneec OEM 5400mAH batteries. I had always set myself up to return back to land when I got the LOW BATTERY alert. Depending on the winds, altitude and maneuvering the flight durations ranged from 10 to 13 minutes. This didn't seem to be a good duration number so I ran some flight tests where I would return "home" at the LOW BATT warning but rather than land,

Upon arriving back at the landing area, I flew around the vicinity of the landing pad at around 50-foot altitudes. More LOW BATTERY alerts would pop up but I kept an eye on the voltage on-screen. It kept going and going. When the voltage dropped under 14.0 volts, I moved the H over the landing area and down to 15 or 20 feet. It kept flying and flying. It finally proceded to initiate its AUTO-LAND sequence at 13.3 volts. The flight had lasted 17+ minutes. I repeated this test with the other batteries (still the 5400 mAH) and got 16+ minutes and 18 minutes! I have newfound confidence to fly well beyond the LOW BATT warnings the system conservatively provides. The additional 3 to 5 minutes of flight time makes the entire experience a bit less "urgent" and yields more opportunities for setting up beautifully framed images and videos.

There are quite a few variables that affect the flight duration and even flying techniques that do not put high current demands on the battery. For instance, I've noticed that when the batteries are cool the voltage drop with high current maneuvering will often trigger the LOW BATTERY warning. By limiting the current draw in the first 2 minutes while the battery pack warms up then allows the cells to meet the high current demands without the "inefficient" voltage drop. I have also noted that rapid descent from altitude significantly reduces the current draw and allows the cells to "recover" for improved duration. A third technique involves winds aloft and planning ahead for penetrations into the wind/upwind. The free version of the handy smartphone app, UAV FORECAST, has a WIND PROFILE feature which shows wind speed and direction in increments up to 5,000 feet AGL. Temperature inversions and strong horizontal barometric pressure gradients can produce winds at altitude that are significantly stronger and from a different direction than at the ground. For example, as I write this the local surface winds just before sunset is around 3 to 5 mph from the W. At 500 feet AGL the wind is 20 mph with gusts to 54 mph! and from the SW. Horizontal flight against the wind tonight should be done as low as possible - treetop height - where the wind is still just 10 mph with possible gusts to 24 mph. Another handy app is the free version of AVIA WEATHER which provides visibility/temp/barometer/cloudbase for all the local reporting airports.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio