Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best Batteries

Reaction score
Which batteries seem to work best for the Typhoon H? I would really like to get some more flight time out of each battery pack.

They are all about the same.
I currently use Ultra X 6300mAh and 6700mAh from Venom.
How much time are currently getting on your batteries?

I'm averaging 12 to 13 minutes.
Are you using the OEM charger or an aftermarket charger?
How old are your batteries?
Have your batteries been stored at 15.2 volts when not in use?
What is the starting and ending voltage when you fly?

My experience with my batteries....I’ve got 2 Yuneec that came with the H Pro and 2 Ultrax I bought.....directly relates to what kind of flying I’m doing. Also, wind conditions play a big role starting at a certain point.

I normally get 14-16 minutes on a “typical” flight.....once I got 21 minutes. I was doing slow and careful patterns 20’ up: out & back, squares, circles, figure 8’s.....landed at first warning and rebounded to 15.1. Easy on the sticks and all.

Once I got only 8 minutes....I was flying very aggressively, low level coordinated figure 8’s and out & backs. Real yank and bank stuff. Full throttle most of the time, maximum braking and acceleration.

My experience with my batteries....I’ve got 2 Yuneec that came with the H Pro and 2 Ultrax I bought.....directly relates to what kind of flying I’m doing. Also, wind conditions play a big role starting at a certain point.

I normally get 14-16 minutes on a “typical” flight.....once I got 21 minutes. I was doing slow and careful patterns 20’ up: out & back, squares, circles, figure 8’s.....landed at first warning and rebounded to 15.1. Easy on the sticks and all.

Once I got only 8 minutes....I was flying very aggressively, low level coordinated figure 8’s and out & backs. Real yank and bank stuff. Full throttle most of the time, maximum braking and acceleration.
So I'm getting that there probably is no solution to the horrible battery life of the Typhoon H.
I like it anyway. Flight time is just a bummer.

I would love to average 12 - 13 minutes!

At what voltage are you typically landing at? Makes a bit of a difference in flight time if one plays it safe and is landing between 14.6 and 14.8, versus running to empty.

Jeff
I run mine down until first warning. However, I charge them up to a storage charge after that.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi, I have used and still use four GiFI 8050mA without problem. I also have three original H batteries. The GiFi gives me approx 1,5-2,5 minutes longer flight time.
These figures comes from about 15-20 flights with each battery. I always discharge with a DY3 to 15,3V and land @ 14.5V. None of the batteries are so far swollen.
Best from Sweden.

Reactions: jaylitton73
Hi, I have used and still use four GiFI 8050mA without problem. I also have three original H batteries. The GiFi gives me approx 1,5-2,5 minutes longer flight time.
These figures comes from about 15-20 flights with each battery. I always discharge with a DY3 to 15,3V and land @ 14.5V. None of the batteries are so far swollen.
Best from Sweden.
That's what I'm looking for, thanks.

That's a good charger. What is the temp where you fly?
Last summer was extremley hot about 30-35C but it was ok. Last week a flew , "just for fun" in 23C below zero. Flight time to 14,5V was 6-7minutes with GiFi.

I get 14 ot 16 minutes while the camera is on and flying down to 14.5v

That’s pretty much my typical flight.

Reactions: PatR and AH-1G
So I'm getting that there probably is no solution to the horrible battery life of the Typhoon H.
I like it anyway. Flight time is just a bummer.

Horrible battery life? Perhaps it’s necessary to define what “horrible” is, and what is being used for comparison. For a camera drone of the size and weight with the speed available to a Typhoon H the amount of time a new, well maintained factory battery provides is not bad at all. If we were to compare H flight time to an Inspire 1, an aircraft similar in size that employs a considerably more expensive battery than used for an H, we might find actual flight times are not much different. If we compare to a Phantom, a smaller and lighter aircraft that again uses a more expensive battery we would see the Phantom have slightly better flight time, but not a lot better. Only 4 years ago a decent quality camera rig was only getting about 6 or 7 minutes of flight time, max, when flown gently with GPS turned off, and those were flown with 10,000-12,000mA 6S batteries.

Things have come a long way, relatively, since then, and systems now provide operators a lot more functionality than before using lower capacity batteries. Can we obtain equal or more flight time for less money? Sure we can but few are willing to execute the simple modifications to their aircraft that would allow for it. Instead, people line up to buy proprietary battery shell or “smart” batteries that are grossly over priced for the amount of energy available.

Perhaps a perception of “horrible” flight time stems from a lack of battery knowledge and the many factors that impact flight time. There’s also the situation where some will forever want for more than they have, regardless of how much they may have. If anyone really needs unlimited flight time they could always buy a tethered system with a real long cord. Those that don’t learn to plan a flight prior to take off and fly the plan.

Last edited:
Horrible battery life? Perhaps it’s necessary to define what “horrible” is, and what is being used for comparison. For a camera drone of the size and weight with the speed available to a Typhoon H the amount of time a new, well maintained factory battery provides is not bad at all. If we were to compare H flight time to an Inspire 1, and aircraft that employs a considerably more expensive battery than used for an H, we might find actual flight times are not much different. If we compare to a Phantom, a smaller and lighter aircraft that again uses a more expensive battery we would see the Phantom have slightly better flight time, but not a lot better. Only 4 years ago a decent quality camera rig was only getting about 6 or 7 minutes of flight time, max, when flown gently with GPS turned off, and those were flown with 10,000-12,000mA 6S batteries.

Things have come a long way, relatively, since then, and systems now provide operators a lot more functionality that before using lower capacity batteries. Can we obtain equal or more flight time for less money? Sure we can but few are willing to execute the simple modifications to their aircraft that would allow for it. Instead, people line up to buy proprietary battery shell or “smart” batteries that are grossly over priced for the amount of energy available.

Perhaps a perception of “horrible” flight time stems from a lack of battery knowledge and the many factors that impact flight time. There’s also the situation where some will forever want for more than they have, regardless of how much they may have. If anyone really needs unlimited flight time they could always buy a tethered system with a real long cord. Those that don’t learn to plan a flight prior to take off and fly the plan.
Let me introduce myself. I'm Jason of XXXXXX. A licensed FAA commercial drone pilot of over 3 years now. Yes 2 tests past. Out of my FLEET of drones, this one has the shortest flight time. It may have been the 3DR Solo until I BUILT my own smart batteries for twice the flight time. So you tell me what you think and I'll tell you what I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diagram overseer