Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

best but not most expensive antenna for the H

Reaction score
I am looking for something that I can be sure will stay connected around metal pipes on roofs, and power running thru the house etc.. I have seen several , any advice on what would be good?

thank you

Brian

Brian,
I saw in another post you do roof inspections. I have a metal roof on my house and regularly do touch and go landings on it. I have had no interference from any of my Vhf/Uhf or Hf ham gear. Now if you are talking a roof a half mile away, you may want something better.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I doubt that pipes on the roof will cause any problems with the control signal. The issue around large metal objects is how it might affect the compass since it relies on the magnetic field of the earth to establish heading. Large chunks of metal can mess with that. Also, getting to close to high voltage lines can cause a problem if you get close enough to be influenced by the electromagnetic field around the wire. If you sense your bird starts acting weird you need to gain altitude quickly to move away from the source. That means only flying where you have an overhead escape path. Flying under overhanging branches or wires might end the flight early.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Brian,
I saw in another post you do roof inspections. I have a metal roof on my house and regularly do touch and go landings on it. I have had no interference from any of my Vhf/Uhf or Hf ham gear. Now if you are talking a roof a half mile away, you may want something better.

Okay thank you, no Ill be right at ground level about the house not far away.. So you think Im fine then..

I doubt that pipes on the roof will cause any problems with the control signal. The issue around large metal objects is how it might affect the compass since it relies on the magnetic field of the earth to establish heading. Large chunks of metal can mess with that. Also, getting to close to high voltage lines can cause a problem if you get close enough to be influenced by the electromagnetic field around the wire. If you sense your bird starts acting weird you need to gain altitude quickly to move away from the source. That means only flying where you have an overhead escape path. Flying under overhanging branches or wires might end the flight early.

Okay super well Ill hold with what I have then.. I have seen teh orange disconnect light more than once so i thought I might be getting metal interference

Find a BIG open field,. Get her up high 50' or so, practice with the GPS off. She holds altitude pretty well, but even a little wind will cause her to drift. Get use to how she responds. This way if you ever loose GPS lock during flight you can be ready for it.
Did I mention she can fly real fast in non GPS mode.

Find a BIG open field,. Get her up high 50' or so, practice with the GPS off. She holds altitude pretty well, but even a little wind will cause her to drift. Get use to how she responds. This way if you ever loose GPS lock during flight you can be ready for it.
Did I mention she can fly real fast in non GPS mode.

Okay will try that this week thank you :)

Okay super well Ill hold with what I have then.. I have seen teh orange disconnect light more than once so i thought I might be getting metal interference
Are you certain it's an orange disconnect light? I would think it is a compass error light.

I've been extremely happy with my FPVL antennas...been as far out as 3500 feet and I'm sure I could go further in a fully open area. However, regardless of what you get 3rd party (at least without a signal booster) maintaining video through treelines even with intermittent LOS, your video signal will drop out long before that. I'm definitely planning to add an exterior antenna kit at least as good (no, better) than what the H Pro now comes standard with. I talked with Yuneec CS to inquire if they plan to at least offer an upgrade kit to bring us up to the standard of the Pro ...even for purchase to upgrade the antennas for we early adopters (i.e. beta testers). The response was, "it's been discussed, but doubtful". So, I for one am not holding my breath and am certainly watching and hoping for a good 3rd party upgrade kit, hopefully one that's amplified for telemetry.

I'll just add before someone jumps on me: I'm not interested in flying farther than LOS...but I do want to be assured I'm not going to lose video when flying from behind a treeline, which can be a very regular situation here in Tennessee.

I've been extremely happy with my FPVL antennas...been as far out as 3500 feet and I'm sure I could go further in a fully open area. However, regardless of what you get 3rd party (at least without a signal booster) maintaining video through treelines even with intermittent LOS, your video signal will drop out long before that. I'm definitely planning to add an exterior antenna kit at least as good (no, better) than what the H Pro now comes standard with. I talked with Yuneec CS to inquire if they plan to at least offer an upgrade kit to bring us up to the standard of the Pro ...even for purchase to upgrade the antennas for we early adopters (i.e. beta testers). The response was, "it's been discussed, but doubtful". So, I for one am not holding my breath and am certainly watching and hoping for a good 3rd party upgrade kit, hopefully one that's amplified for telemetry.

I'll just add before someone jumps on me: I'm not interested in flying farther than LOS...but I do want to be assured I'm not going to lose video when flying from behind a treeline, which can be a very regular situation here in Tennessee.

yeah I dont care if I lose video I dont want to lose control let us know what you find and decide to go with

I am looking for something that I can be sure will stay connected around metal pipes on roofs, and power running thru the house etc.. I have seen several , any advice on what would be good?

thank you

Brian
You do roof inspections? For who?

I took my Typhoon H Pro out today and flew off in a (almost) straight line at 400 feet. I let it turn around when it lost RC, and that was at a distance of 1.1 miles according to a measurement in Google Maps. I briefly lost video before I lost RC, but the video came back before going out again around the 1 mile mark.

I realized after bringing the bird home and looking at the video it was recording that I veered to the right, which would have obscured the Typhoon behind a line of tall trees. I might have been able to maintain RC and video longer if I had stayed further to the left.

I actually looked at antenna options today, but so far they seem unnecessary.

I might be doing that for a company from California. I feel the T H will be a good platform for this.

I think it is, and post some results! It should work great especially the Pro or the add-on when it comes out , in business its very affordable, The H is, to have two or thee , in case ones in service from running into one of those pesky fire place thingys LOL

Anyway that's what Im shooting and other stuff for once I learn to fly. I have had a couple of mystery crashes with my H I don't know how to figure out what happened , so I am still practicing until I feel it was me and not the drone. but I think its a open market for some extra cash. It does not require distance, well not much anyway, it does not require lots of battery power, and well it just seems like a good fit.. Good luck with it :)

This morning I went out to a distance of 1.18 miles and had both RC and video (using the stock Typhoon H Pro antennas).

Reactions: Rayray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval