Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best Range extender for my Typhoon Hex

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and new to more expensive drones. Been flying cheap drones inside the house for years but this Typhoon H Hexchopper is a different beast. 2nd time I flew it I hit a branch causing a crash so hard it broke an arm and knocked battery and camera popped off. Hopefully after repairing this arm it Powers up and flies right again. My question is About range extension. Really nice drone but I was disappointed that I'm only getting about 1200 feet away before screen gets choppy and have to return home. Can someone please tell me best Range extender I can buy so I can order it. Also looking how I can raise the altitude alittle past the 395 ft that it goes. I don't plan on ever needing to fly any higher but it's good to know just in case I ever need to know how. Thank you.

What country are you in?
Here in the US not allowed to fly above 400' AGL, with a few exceptions which I'm not going to get into.
Which antenna are you using? When flying how were you oriented between the ST16 and the H?
I have attached a more concise owners manual, A MUST READ.

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-1.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 48
4hawks is expensive but very good, you should able to see your Typhoon all the time just in case, the 4hawks will give a better more reliable fpv and maybe even better control too. Anything else you do at your risk.

This subject has been dealt with on numerous occasions. A forum search will answer all your questions about range extenders. Use the magnifier icon top right of the screen.

This subject has been dealt with on numerous occasions. A forum search will answer all your questions about range extenders. Use the magnifier icon top right of the screen.
Unless you have certain Android and tablets, the search doesn't work, then use Google.

Based on the OP’s initial post it might be better if he learns how his system works and how to properly orient antennas before seeking longer range. Crashing into an object on the second flight implies a bit more operational practice is needed.

It’s highly likely the “choppy” screen video is being caused by antenna orientation, body position relative to the aircraft and flight controller, objects interfering with signal transmission, or signal propagation from other electrical devices.

There’s also the line of sight factor that must be understood. At 1200’ the H has achieved about 75% of the distance it can be effectively seen to safely control it while also assuring it won’t create a conflict.

Good point. Human bodies, trees, buildings, carbon fiber, etc. are all very effective at attenuating both the main control 2.4GHz and video control 5.8GHz signals. Remember, line of sight in the RF world means the two antennas can clearly "see" each other. :p

B
Based on the OP’s initial post it might be better if he learns how his system works and how to properly orient antennas before seeking longer range. Crashing into an object on the second flight implies a bit more operational practice is needed.

It’s highly likely the “choppy” screen video is being caused by antenna orientation, body position relative to the aircraft and flight controller, objects interfering with signal transmission, or signal propagation from other electrical devices.

There’s also the line of sight factor that must be understood. At 1200’ the H has achieved about 75% of the distance it can be effectively seen to safely control it while also assuring it won’t create a conflict.
If he's learning then he shouldn't be out too far.

Perhaps “LOS also means” is appropriate.

Yep, two separate "Line of Sight" involved. Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) for the pilot and radio LOS. You might be able to see your aircraft but if your transmitter and receiver antennas cannot see each other then you are going to have problems!

Yep, two separate "Line of Sight" involved. Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) for the pilot and radio LOS. You might be able to see your aircraft but if your transmitter and receiver antennas cannot see each other then you are going to have problems!
Can you mention an example, I've never encountered where I can see my copter and the antennaes wre not in sight of each other? Are you claiming someone would stand behind a tree or some other obstacles? That would be stupid.

Can you mention an example, I've never encountered where I can see my copter and the antennaes wre not in sight of each other? Are you claiming someone would stand behind a tree or some other obstacles? That would be stupid.

Yep, it would be stupid, but there are numerous YouTube videos around showing that there is plenty of stupid out there. Your radio can lose LOS if people stand close in front of the antenna, or if you are flying low over obstructions. Still possible you can see it but the radio cannot.

Yep, it would be stupid, but there are numerous YouTube videos around showing that there is plenty of stupid out there. Your radio can lose LOS if people stand close in front of the antenna, or if you are flying low over obstructions. Still possible you can see it but the radio cannot.
Yes I've never gone low, I always get up a few hundred feet, I'm not one for close encounters with trees or buildings. One advantage of living in the middle of nowhere.

On Google Earth Pro I couldn't find "Middle of Nowhere in the UK?????;)

We can block the signal ourselves if we put our bodies between the aircraft and transmitter. Someone flying “FPV” might elect to fly behind themselves and not turn around to face the aircraft. Standing next to a vehicle between us and the -16 and the aircraft will block signal if the antennas are bot higher than the vehicle. We can see the H but the controller would not.

If there is not a clear path between the controller and the aircraft video signal loss will be the first signal interrupted and should be anticipated. Loss of video is telling us it’s time to make a decision and change how we are doing something.

It’s also known as Parliament...
It's there your not looking, an area where there are no roads you walk a few miles to fly your copter, surely I'm not the only one who walks miles to be in nature and avoid human interaction when flying?

Reactions: FlushVision
An example is when you are flying from the top of a hill or cliff, say, and you fly down to a level below that where you are standing (into a valley, say). The antennas on the aircraft are positioned to give best performance when the aircraft is being flown at a level above the pilot. When the aircraft is below the pilot's level those antenna are not positioned optimally and can, indeed, be obscured from the controller by the body of the aircraft.

An example is when you are flying from the top of a hill or cliff, say, and you fly down to a level below that where you are standing (into a valley, say). The antennas on the aircraft are positioned to give best performance when the aircraft is being flown at a level above the pilot. When the aircraft is below the pilot's level those antenna are not positioned optimally and can, indeed, be obscured from the controller by the body of the aircraft.
I'm not doubting that may occur just not experienced that yet, but I suspect the 4hawks concentrates the signal, obviously pointing at the copter. I'm not being adventurous enough!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots