Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Camera Issues with the Typhoon H

Reaction score
I posted a previous thread about the camera being super soft all over the frame. From what I gather so far, when you put the drone on auto (exposure wise) and the "gorgeous" things tend to be a bit sharper. If you are in manual and try to shoot "RAW", the entire frame tends to be a bit soft. This leads me to believe that this camera is extremely inconsistent in capturing images. Here is a shot of the Bronx that I did yesterday on gorgeous and auto everything...

Here is the RAW test I did a few days ago. You will see what I mean about being soft...all manual exposure, 1/60 shutter, ND 16, 30p

Another shot of the Bronx, all auto, but if you look on the left and right after passing the first building, the image tends to jump around a bit and look unstable. Maybe this is camera shake?

Here is the final sample. This one illustrates how inconsistent this camera actually is. You can see far left the image looks almost as if it is a watercolor painting. This was manual settings with 1/125 ND 16 30p

https://youtu.be/gpHqPqv-F-M

Whether you are using Gorgeous or Raw, it's the same lens,with the same resolving power. In Gorgeous mode, there is a lot of sharpening added electronically to the image, as well as color saturation. In Raw mode, there is little to no sharpening added. You need to add the sharpening yourself in photoshop or whatever software you use. Many people like the control this affords to manipulating the image.

Raw images always look soft.This is normal for digital imaging.

That said,it's still possible that your lens isn't as good as it should be. I can't say, as I am looking at the videos on a tablet. I'm just saying that the difference between gorgeous and raw isn't a matter of lens quality.

Whether you are using Gorgeous or Raw, it's the same lens,with the same resolving power. In Gorgeous mode, there is a lot of sharpening added electronically to the image, as well as color saturation. In Raw mode, there is little to no sharpening added. You need to add the sharpening yourself in photoshop or whatever software you use. Many people like the control this affords to manipulating the image.

Raw images always look soft.This is normal for digital imaging.

That said,it's still possible that your lens isn't as good as it should be. I can't say, as I am looking at the videos on a tablet. I'm just saying that the difference between gorgeous and raw isn't a matter of lens quality.
Yeah I'm familiar with log/raw workflows. I just can't imagine that an image is this soft recorded in camera - and is regarded as normal. I shoot video on log with canons and sonys all the time and they are never this soft. I think there is little you can do with sharpening to reclaim the footage in post without looking cartoonish or like hdr, at least with my camera that I have. And about the gorgeous setting, if it is over sharpened, do you know if the other settings are less sharpened?

Have you shot raw? Might you have a link to some raw typhoon h footage? I'm in a bind whether to return it or not. No big deal if no. Thanks for your response.

Shooting in RAW mode mimics the RAW look of Cinema cameras, you need to grade the footage in post and that includes sharpening as well. When I shoot on the Canon C100MKII in C-Log it's not as washed out or as out of focus as on the H but this mode is for if you want to colour grade your footage in post. If you want to just edit then use one of the other modes that increases the sharpness and colour saturation for you. Like using pro tune on a GoPro it's exactly the same, soft washed out footage which hen needs to be graded in post :)

Lol should have read the other posts first lol, will have to try the RAW setting and see what the footage is like for grading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval