Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can anyone tell me what the tornado is like as a pro tool?

I will say, save your money on this unit.....complete lack of instruction manual, the USA tech support doesnt have a clue and the droid software is buggy! I just got mine today and it is going back tomorrow!! Complete POS software

Hi. I am considering a Tornado too. I like much of what I've read about it, but on other drones (Q500 4K & Phantom 4), my experience has varied from what I read in forums...so I'd prefer to get my hands on an H920 with CGO4 to check it out directly in terms of image quality and control capabilities (latency of video, distance it can typically go). It sounds like you are returning yours - were you able to get a loaner or did you buy it with an option to return it? Thank you.

After working with other users I have corrected a few of the issues with my Tornado. The tech is there, it's the documentation that is lacking. The controller is top notch and I wouldn't go back to a DJI controller to save my life.

No, I didn't get a loaner, I bought one and they have a 30 day return policy. I have decided to keep it of the next few days, only because of the other users out there that are in the know. I hope one day Yuneec will create an actual document that explains how things work and why.

Last edited:
DJI has opened their system to developers and there are better flight control apps available. Yuneec is a closed system and honestly that's not a good thing. The M600 has much better avionics (you can go triple redundant if you want) and a better video transmission system. Plus you have the option for many more cameras than what Yuneec offers
Im going with the m600 and X5 cam. I have a mark 3 I can use as well. I just cant get over the size of the M600. it must be twice the size of the 920 and thats good in a pro situation. At least clients won't call it a toy like they do with the Inspire and phantom.

Yea, I think I will be looking into the DJI as well, Yuneec USA tech support, well, quite frankly, sucks at best. They couldnt even tell my what filter would fit the CGO4 lens, really?? Oh, and I was promised a call back today, guess what, nothing! If you can decipher the manuals (lack there of), then this unit is for you. Its a high quality product but lack of tech support and documentation is going to kill it, users will go with DJI instead. Me included, if I don't hear back from yuneec USA.

I’m considering both DJI and Yuneec, but getting hands-on with the products is important to me (I'm picky about image/video quality as well as usability of the setup for single operator flying). Neither company seems to have a way to demo the products at their US HQ's (or elsewhere), so I may have to fall back on the “buy it and return it if not satisfied” approach once I conclude which option is likely the best fit.

Out of curiosity, how did you decide on the Tornado versus a DJI X5 on an Inspire or Matrice?

Also, is there a distributor that you've had particularly good experience with in situations like this?

Thank you for your time and input.

I personally decided on the Tornado from reviews of the company answering the phone. I will say, they do answer the phone. Other reasons include, up to 3 batteries at once, built in touch screen in controller, complete control of the camera (CGO4, its basically a Panasonic GH4), the ability to upgrade the firmware. Now I'm not saying the DJI can't do these things, but these were my reasons.

Great points and you are right, the more I look at it, the more I am thinking of returning it!

Interesting. I was attracted to the Yuneec combo because it is a Hex and can fully control something close to a ‘real camera’ (the CGO4 being based on the GH4) with a zoom lens, but your points hit home.

I think I'll try the I1 Pro (leaning away from the Raw and hoping that the video will be good enough for my purposes). It’s not a hex, but most of my flights will probably not need the incremental redundancy of a hex, and the I1 will be easier to travel with than the Tornado. If I end up needing more motors or extended flight times, the Matrice seems to provide an easy upgrade option letting me reuse the X5.

Hopefully the X5 output is good - some of the footage that I’ve seen on the web has appeared soft, and DJI is not really known for their cameras, so I’ve still got some reservations. Now to find somewhere to try one or buy with the option to return . . .

I appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you.

BTW, to clarify, I believe full camera control on the Matrice is with the X5 cameras only, correct?

Update . . . I got an Inspire 1 Pro . . . and sent it back about one week later. Lots of things I liked about it, but at the end of the day, the X5 camera wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

I spent a long time calibrating/recalibrating the stock lens (probably more time than I spent flying!), yet I considered it only "reasonably sharp" between f/4 and f/8 - outside of that, it was pretty soft). I've seen some great images from other MFT cameras, so maybe my expectations were too high, but I was hoping to be 'blown away' compared to the images from my Phantom 4. Yes, the X5 was better in some respects (better tonal range, better rendering of details in some cases, and maintaining image quality away from the center), but the underlying lack of sharpness left me disappointed with the camera/lens. Add in a bunch of glitches I had with the copter and it seemed like sending it back was the prudent thing to do at this time and to keep looking.

H2O, how's the Tornado/CGO4 combo working out?

Heya, i can dropbox some raw shots from my CGO4 if you want to play with them?

PM me your email address.
Will send a few your way.

Hi Doc52, thank you for the offer - Yuneec customer service recently sent me a jpg, video sample and a raw file (finding a converter for the custom RW2 was a bit tricky though!). They were samples this rep had taken on a test flight, yet those images seemed much better than what I was getting on the X5 and more in line with what I’d expect from a decent MFT system.

Sounds like the CGO4 is an option for me from an integrated camera standpoint, and I'm wondering how the Tornado handles a couple areas that are important to me - input on any of these would be most helpful.

1. Ability to decently track subjects while recording video as a single operator - If you want to use aircraft yaw to rotate the camera on the Inspire, the gimbal ever so helpfully dampens yaw changes, so it lags behind the control inputs, starting late and ending shortly after you like the composition! Controlling the X5 gimbal separately from the aircraft is possible, but you can either control pitch or pan on the gimbal using the left dial, but must switch back and forth if you need to adjust both. (There’s also a cute way to control both pitch and pan by tapping/dragging on the screen, but that’s not practical if you’re maneuvering with both thumbs at the same time.) Puzzles me why they didn't tie gimbal panning to the dial on the right side.
How’s the Yuneec interface? Is a single operator able to fly the copter and smoothly track a subject by panning/pitching the camera at the same time?

2. The Inspire looked like it would be relatively easy to check as baggage when traveling by airline. How’s the Tornado for airline travel? Also, the Inspire can be carried in a (large) backpack if you need to do a little walking/hiking to the final location . . . how would you transport the Tornado on foot? (I noticed in one of Yuneec’s videos that a hiker has it strapped to his back with copter arms extended and props in place!?)

3. NFZ limitations - I’m a fixed wing pilot and very familiar with the FAA regs. I’m looking for something that’s not going to restrict me (excessively) from flying when I have the appropriate authorizations. It sounds like Yuneec’s approach to NFZs is evolving, so any recent experience would be greatly appreciated in terms of understanding if the Tornado will be able to fly around in various types of NFZs.

4. The I1/X5 autofocus was kind of hit or miss (it used a relatively large area of the image and I didn't find an option to treat it like a more traditional, small focus point). It also lacked AF Tracking when shooting video. I believe that the CGO4 has AF Tracking, is that true and does it work ok? Is the AF fairly reliable?

5. Range - what's a realistic range before the video cuts out (I think that drops before the control does, right)?

Thank you for any experiences that you can provide.

Will get back to you soon.
Just finishing a few shoots.
One thing though ... Adobe Lightroom reads the raw fine.

Doc

Hi Doc. No hurry, and I appreciate any input you can offer. Thank you.

BTW, are you based down under? (I was stalking your website :) ). I worked in Melbourne (and a little in Sydney) for 2 years way back when (20+ yrs ago). Live in Chicago now, but still have very fond memories of Oz.

Heya - Yeah in canberra,

1. Ability to decently track subjects while recording video as a single operator - If you want to use aircraft yaw to rotate the camera on the Inspire, the gimbal ever so helpfully dampens yaw changes, so it lags behind the control inputs, starting late and ending shortly after you like the composition! Controlling the X5 gimbal separately from the aircraft is possible, but you can either control pitch or pan on the gimbal using the left dial, but must switch back and forth if you need to adjust both. (There’s also a cute way to control both pitch and pan by tapping/dragging on the screen, but that’s not practical if you’re maneuvering with both thumbs at the same time.) Puzzles me why they didn't tie gimbal panning to the dial on the right side.
How’s the Yuneec interface? Is a single operator able to fly the copter and smoothly track a subject by panning/pitching the camera at the same time?

In all honesty I have only everdone this amnually.
There is no follow me mode on the H920, it does have the ability to circle around the operator.
We are pushing for an update in the firmware etc .... but hey ...

2. The Inspire looked like it would be relatively easy to check as baggage when traveling by airline. How’s the Tornado for airline travel? Also, the Inspire can be carried in a (large) backpack if you need to do a little walking/hiking to the final location . . . how would you transport the Tornado on foot? (I noticed in one of Yuneec’s videos that a hiker has it strapped to his back with copter arms extended and props in place!?)

I have travelled with mine as luggage - in its original box. Had no issues at all.
However if I were to be doing more airline travel than I do now with it - I would buy the pelican case for it.

3. NFZ limitations - I’m a fixed wing pilot and very familiar with the FAA regs. I’m looking for something that’s not going to restrict me (excessively) from flying when I have the appropriate authorizations. It sounds like Yuneec’s approach to NFZs is evolving, so any recent experience would be greatly appreciated in terms of understanding if the Tornado will be able to fly around in various types of NFZs.

If you have a PPl in your case a fixed wing pilot licence - simply contact them and they will remove the restrictions - with the caveat that you will be responsible for issues arising from breaking the law with no permissions !
:O)
I am 1 step off my own licence here for an RPA UOC

4. The I1/X5 autofocus was kind of hit or miss (it used a relatively large area of the image and I didn't find an option to treat it like a more traditional, small focus point). It also lacked AF Tracking when shooting video. I believe that the CGO4 has AF Tracking, is that true and does it work ok? Is the AF fairly reliable?

The AF tracking is actually quite good on the H920 and can be tuned similar to a regular camera.
I have had issues only when there is a major change in light levels, only for a oment or two - similar to my professional Canon gear really.

5. Range - what's a realistic range before the video cuts out (I think that drops before the control does, right)?

Yeah it drops before the controls do - but I have had mine out to almost 2km (1.5 / 1.8) I think they quote 1.5
Being a bit blunt ... but if i cant see my bird I dont want it up there - they cost too much to have flying out of sight.
Well at least until I can afford to buy several of them anyway.
All those guys that want FPV flights out to 100 km ... it will get there ... but thats not for me I am dealing with close work out to 1 km or so.
This works for me and I am happy with the results.

All in all it really needs an upgrade for many reasons - if you can handle doing the job by yourself or indeed with a second person on the camera and you can do some tech stuff yourself - for the $ its a great bit of kit.

I can get the H920 - CGO4 Camera, a Hand held Gimbal, the St24 with the Screen for FPV and Two Batteries setup for around $10500.00 AUD - With Manual Control over the Camera functions as it flies and 3 x Zoom.

The Aussie price for the Matrice 600 is around $7900.00 no cameras no batteries no gimbals and no FPV Screen.
Screen - Extra what ever tablet you use.
Gimbal - $4000.00
Six Batteries cost approx $1500.00 on a special.
(I am unsure if it can fly with just two batteries ... that would be $500.00 for two if it can.)

... No camera ..... Already up to 12500.00 without a camera.
Given you can put nearly any camera on the gimbals.
With the other batteries it comes in at around $15000.00 with no camera ..... So if cost is no issue and you have the work ... it could be worth it.

All systems have issues - the M600 or H920 are no different and I have heard stories on both.
Will each try to out do the other ... yeah - do i care nope ... I have a system that works for me and it cost less.
Its a little older than the M600 as well , so expect an updated version sometime soon - thats my bet anyway.

Cheers.

Doc

Hi Doc. Thank you VERY much for the info.

Sounds like travel and NFZ should be workable and the AF is pretty good.

Range also sounds acceptable. I'm looking to keep it in line of site most of the time, but may on occastion have a visual observer. I share your sentiment in that I don't really want it out of sight.

On the single operator, I'm probably going to do most shooting manually too. Are you able to track subjects reasonably well (flying and rotating/pitching the gimbal) on your own? That was one of the two things that really irked my on the Inspire.

Cheers.

Hi all,

Ill just chuck my hat in the ring, we own an operate the H920 commercially and yes it does have its floors but most kit out there does. We find it more than adequate for shoots, the UK customer service is second to none and the overall quality on both stills and video from the stock CGO4 (in my opinion) push it way above the X5.

Don't get me wrong I like DJI kit and i do own a phantom (its what i learnt to fly on) but i prefer the build of the Yuneec kit, the fact that you have the monitor built into the controller, you have the flight case and most extras are included and a big plus is that it does look more professional.

I've been using the H920 for quite a while now and am happy to answer any questions that anybody may have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval