Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can you Trust your Typhoon H

I just had a nice flight
with my Typhoon H 480
upon landing,4 foot off
the ground it would drift
hard to the left. I fought with it to stabalize.
I jockyied the sticks so
i could land it. After landing on level it still toppled over with the props digging in the grass.Thank God I was in a wide open space upon
landing. The drift was bad. No low battery warning either. Hmmmm
What do you think could
cause this ?
Keith Kuhn
My Typhoone H worked fine 3 months ago but now will not take off.
The camera works and the engines start up but the joy sticks have no effect and it will not take off

I just had a nice flight
with my Typhoon H 480
upon landing,4 foot off
I jockyied the sticks so
i could land it. After landing on level it still toppled over with the props digging in the grass.Thank God I was in a wide open space upon
What do you think could
cause this ?
Keith Kuhn
I have found unfortunately that even landing on a level surface that sometimes the drone would tip backwards. I do not know if it is a weight issue with the battery or if the landing gear is just not long enough towards the rear to keep the Drone stabilized when it lands? So I have been simply hand catching the drone. The drone is pretty light and easy to do a hand grab. If you have never done a hand grab before here is a video. (Note not my video)
Other than that- I have been flying the Typhoon H for 3 years using it solely as my Professional work horse and have been very happy with it.

Reactions: NDJollyMon
I just had a nice flight
with my Typhoon H 480
upon landing,4 foot off
I jockyied the sticks so
What do you think could
cause this ?
Keith Kuhn
yes i trust my typhoon, h i had that problem to, i just re calibrated the accelerometer and compass problem solved.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
[emoji443]Train kept a-rollin’, all night long[emoji443]

As for trusting my H’s, I do but I’ve learned I have to do my part for them to do their part.

Over time I’ve learned that we need to periodically clean the potentiometers and pin contacts on Yuneec products. If we fail to do that we can be assured of experiencing control anomalies from time to time.

Typical after a long period of non use is a lateral drift to one side or the other, but usually to the left. If performing a full “secret menu” calibration does not cure that, cleaning the sticks and a system cal afterwards will.

I’ve learned that if you let them sit unused for long periods of time they will lose calibrations. It’s absolutely certain they will not know where they are after sitting for 6 months so a long GPS soak is mandatory. Also needed will be a compass and accelerometer cal, and a gimbal cal won’t hurt.

I’ve learned that performing a “secret menu” system cal requires we start and end the calibration process with the controls centered. If we start with any control off center the system will be limited to one side after the cal is complete.

I’ve learned that any time we hear a constant beeping there’s something wrong and we should not fly until we determine and correct the cause. It might be as simple as finding a stick is being deflected at power up or it could mean the system has lost bind.

I’ve learned to always check the telemetry data at the left side of the ST-16 screen to determine the system is updating info. If nothing is there or only partially reporting there’s a problem with system communications or binding.

I’ve learned that if I use several different cameras on an aircraft each camera’s firmware must be a match for the aircraft and ST-16 firmware. If they don’t all match something will not work right.

Perhaps one of the most important lessons learned is that if I crash and damage the gimbal I should send it to an authorized repair station to get it fixed as most people that try to fix it themselves end up with a messed up gimbal.

I’ve learned that if I come across a page in the system menu I don’t understand, pushing buttons will always make things worse. If we don’t understand something, don’t try to change it to “make it better”. There’s a high probability it will be worse.

So all in all, if I pay a little attention to basic maintenance the H’s always do what they are supposed to do. If I get lazy or don’t pay attention they will demonstrate some displeasure for being ignored.
Well said....

Yes I trust my H. It's the flipping trees, walls and power lines I dont trust. Did you ever see the way they just appear out of no where. ?

The camera works and the engines start up but the joy sticks have no effect and it will not take off
What's it saying in hardware manager? Are the actions of the joystick showing?

Your issue may not be the same as the original issue in this thread. It would avoid confusion if you would create a new thread so each discussion can focus on one issue. It is much less confusing that way.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I just had a nice flight
with my Typhoon H 480
upon landing,4 foot off
I jockyied the sticks so
What do you think could
cause this ?
Keith Kuhn

Were you attempting to land in "Turtle Mode"?

If you're fighting the sticks when it lands and you let off the sticks and then hit the red button it's going to go over.

Last edited:
Do you have problems landing in turtle mode?

I have in the past and experienced what @KEITH KUHN did. Since then a wise soul in this forum suggested not landing in turtle but coming down with more power. It can be done.

If you're fighting with the sticks as you land (as describe by Keith), Jeff's advice is sound. Pull up and try again.

Reactions: John Hennessy
I have in the past and experienced what @KEITH KUHN did. Since then a wise soul in this forum suggested not landing in turtle but coming down with more power. It can be done.

If you're fighting with the sticks as you land (as describe by Keith), Jeff's advice is sound. Pull up and try again.
It all requires accurate control, more so when landing in rabbit, but it does become second nature, going back up is always wise, gives you time to compose yourself, even hand catch if your worried about landing.

I can't say I trust my TH 100% just the same as any other drone. So I'm always ready for the unexpected...expect the unexpected, so to speak. I've owned my TH for well over 3 years now and have had very little trouble with it. Indeed, the only real problem I've had is with the well known loss of video connection when raising the landing gear associated with the U.K. firmware. No crashes with it...so far, but have had a couple of arse clenching moments with it.

So, Do I trust it? No, not a 100%. Do I treat it with respect? Yes, 110%

I can't say I trust my TH 100% just the same as any other drone. So I'm always ready for the unexpected...expect the unexpected, so to speak. I've owned my TH for well over 3 years now and have had very little trouble with it. Indeed, the only real problem I've had is with the well known loss of video connection when raising the landing gear associated with the U.K. firmware. No crashes with it...so far, but have had a couple of arse clenching moments with it.

Like an Airline pilot, over time and experience, you have the necessary skills to get out of a problem the one time you need too, or at least give it our best shot!

Have tried the 4Hawks? I've found it to virtually eliminate the video loss associated with the EU firmware.

Have tried the 4Hawks? I've found it to virtually eliminate the video loss associated with the EU firmware.
Interesting comment there. I must admit that I never thought of that. I'd say that landing gear video loss happens to me about 25% of the time. I'd love to fix that 'cos it's just bloo'dy annoying.

Interesting comment there. I must admit that I never thought of that. I'd say that landing gear video loss happens to me about 25% of the time. I'd love to fix that 'cos it's just bloo'dy annoying.
I got caught out Sunday, with steam trains, got into position, few seconds and I lost video, couldn't carry on, waited, but the train was gone after the time it takes to reconnect, I'd forgot my 4Hawks. Learn the hard way as they say.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I got caught out Sunday, with steam trains, got into position, few seconds and I lost video, couldn't carry on, waited, but the train was gone after the time it takes to reconnect, I'd forgot my 4Hawks. Learn the hard way as they say.
When I did that battery flight test on Tuesday I made a point of not raising the landing gear. I couldn't risk video dropping out and spoiling the 'in flight' footage. It needed to be continuous without any breaks.

I have found unfortunately that even landing on a level surface that sometimes the drone would tip backwards. I do not know if it is a weight issue with the battery or if the landing gear is just not long enough towards the rear to keep the Drone stabilized when it lands? So I have been simply hand catching the drone. The drone is pretty light and easy to do a hand grab. If you have never done a hand grab before here is a video. (Note not my video)
Other than that- I have been flying the Typhoon H for 3 years using it solely as my Professional work horse and have been very happy with it.

What you experienced is a new one on me.
Keith K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1