Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can you Trust your Typhoon H

When I did that battery flight test on Tuesday I made a point of not raising the landing gear. I couldn't risk video dropping out and spoiling the 'in flight' footage. It needed to be continuous without any breaks.

That is a bummer missing the steam trains
Keith

FWIW I had a somewhat similar experience. Except mine immediately after takeoff nosed over and went balls out into a fence about 2 feet above the ground. Several members here analyzed the logs and determined it was very definitely not pilot error. It was just outside of warranty and Yuneec basically told me to get lost. I wrote up everything, print out of the flight logs, etc and went so far as to send them certified mail to their CEO (something that worked once in the past with a major fudge-up by a cell phone carrier) and got zero response. I did finally fix the H but I've flown it maybe 3 or 4 times. Because no I don't trust it. I realize every brand and every device has had "some" issues but..... Bought another brand, that fancy one with the 1" sensor camera. While there have been a very few number of incidents with that particular bird, it seems they are more pilot error than defect and the usual suspect is not getting the battery latched in correctly and or relying too much on the collision avoidance sensors.

That said I've thought about getting another Typhoon maybe the H+ as there are some advantages to the bigger aircraft. Here is the thread from my incident. First and very catestrophic crash

Yes, Keith, over the 3 years of flying my TH, it has never failed me. I've failed it a few times with dumb mistakes. The bird has always functioned as it should (or could under the circumstances).
The eventual degradation of electrical contact in the sticks and camera mount that PatR mentioned concern me a bit. Worth checking periodically.
I've learned to use the Red Button landing technique. Hover a few feet above the landing site. Take your hands off the sticks. Momentarily press the Red button and the TH will descend a foot or so. When within a foot of the landing site, press and hold the Red button. It will land softly and smoothly without flipping. This is a lot less stressful than fighting with the sticks or hand catching.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
DANG! 4200’.....you got some serious good eyes. I’ve gone 2500’ but that’s it for my eyes. How was the signal strength?
I saw a black dot and the strobes at the end, but only because the sun was behind me and low. 2.4 signal was fine, the FPV was about 30% and started to freeze and break up, lost video turning around but regained it well enough when I started heading back. I also just had cataract surgery about two weeks ago, I went from bifocals to 1X reading glasses ") Prior to surgery about 1000' was it.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
Just for good measure
I trust my H because
1) I use a pre-flight checklist
2)I use a post flight check list
3) I perform regular HW maintenance

That said, I have had occasions where the H appeared to go unstable near landing but every time there were good reasons for this.
a) hiigh cross wind
b) uneven ground (steep incline)
c) drifted as it came down due to accidental stick movement

The thing is a robot and a fairly dumb one at that. I say this because the bird is made of electronic parts and as we know in the trade, all electronic parts have smoke inside. Sometimes we let the smoke out inadvertently, sometimes the smoke is upset by other factors and yet other times the smoke just escapes. In any case when this happens we almost always end up with an unplanned deconstruction event.;)

Do I trust my H? Not while landing. I never had an issue landing my Q500, however I had three tipovers landing my new H. The tipovers occurred after touchdown, while resting on the landing gear, and the throttle stick down waiting for the motors to go to idle. I followed all the pundits suggestions and a year later the only thing that eliminated the tendency to tipover is to land with the GPS off.

I had a Typhoon H for two and a half years and a Typhoon H Plus for over a year and I trust both. I believe many problems occur from a lack of familiarity with operations and or a lack of diligence in preparations and/or preflight, post-flight and maintenance.

Early on I had a few tip overs with the 480 until I figured out that upon landing, the Rate Slider needed to be on High, or Fast. Once I learned the proper technique it was never a problem again.

By the same token we know there are instances where Typhoons have had failures of some sort, enough to cause a crash that was not the pilot's fault but these are component failures and are very rare. Every crash is NOT the drones fault. ;) Could one of us have a drone that at some point will go nuts with no hope of stopping it? Yes. But what are you going to do, quit flying??

The other day I was on a job and upon take off the Plus set about on a 5 MPH drift to its right, . . . right towards some trees. I was able to stop the movement and quickly diagnosed that this was likely to be dirty pot - it was. I was able to bring it back to me and hand catch without issue. The point here is that; because I do not assume things will not go wrong or; will always go right, and by reading this forum on a regular basis I was able to understand what was happening and why which; allowed me avoid any issues.

The simple fact is these are complex systems made with cheap parts that can, and will fail, and it is up to us to be; up-to-speed enough about these issues to recognize and diagnose a problem and then execute a solution.

So as an operator of this type of system IMHO, its best to have an attitude that goes like this - It's not the drone I don't trust - it's me.

I bought my typhoon a few years ago. About the 3rd time I flew it, it suddenly dropped like a rock. Yuneec fixed it (sort of) The repair was substandard and they never did give an explanation why it failed. I never trusted it after that, and my few flights after that were kept very close to home both vertically and horizontally. Been on the shelf since.

Last edited:
The pilot should always fly the aircraft, never allowing the aircraft to hold control over the pilot. The pilot is required to have the knowledge and skill necessary to be the master of the aircraft. Lacking that knowledge and skill the pilot will encounter situations beyond the pilot’s ability to deal with them.

As for trust in the aircraft, such as drones are there are no standards establishing minimum performance, parts quality, or life cycle. Therefore to place too much trust in any drone is extremely foolish, but like in all of aviation, those always expecting the unexpected will fare much better than those caught totally unprepared, or relying on the aircraft to save itself.

Just for good measure
I trust my H because
1) I use a pre-flight checklist
2)I use a post flight check list
3) I perform regular HW maintenance

That said, I have had occasions where the H appeared to go unstable near landing but every time there were good reasons for this.
a) hiigh cross wind
b) uneven ground (steep incline)
c) drifted as it came down due to accidental stick movement

The thing is a robot and a fairly dumb one at that. I say this because the bird is made of electronic parts and as we know in the trade, all electronic parts have smoke inside. Sometimes we let the smoke out inadvertently, sometimes the smoke is upset by other factors and yet other times the smoke just escapes. In any case when this happens we almost always end up with an unplanned deconstruction event.;)
What is regular HW maintenance? It's not that dumb, it's carrying out a lot complex calculations while it's in use, pilot input controls where and when it flies and should be fully commited and controlling the copter til you release the Ted button after landing. Personally if it's very unlevel ground I would move elsewhere or hand catch. Yes I trust my H's.

Last edited:
What is regular HW maintenance? It's not that dumb, it's carrying out a lot complex calculations while it's in use, pilot input controls where and when it flies and should be fully commited and controlling the copter til you release the Ted button after landing. Personally if it's very unlevel ground I would move elsewhere or hand catch. Yes I trust my H's.
I read HW as Hardware. So HW maintenance becomes Hardware maintenance.

I agree with what you said above except for me completely trusting my H. Controlling the H, or any drone for that matter, should be done deliberately. Clear control inputs and continue 'flying' the drone until the motors stop. That way, if you are seeing things happen once it has touched down you can often save the day by swiftly pushing the left stick up and come back for another go at landing. By the way, I'm not a fan of the 'Red Button' method of landing.

Unlevel ground can make a ground landing tricky. The one time my TH tipped over was when landing on uneven ground. Although at one time I used to almost exclusively ground land my TH, greater experience now makes it so that I almost exclusively hand catch.

I read HW as Hardware. So HW maintenance becomes Hardware maintenance.

I agree with what you said above except for me completely trusting my H. Controlling the H, or any drone for that matter, should be done deliberately. Clear control inputs and continue 'flying' the drone until the motors stop. That way, if you are seeing things happen once it has touched down you can often save the day by swiftly pushing the left stick up and come back for another go at landing. By the way, I'm not a fan of the 'Red Button' method of landing.

Unlevel ground can make a ground landing tricky. The one time my TH tipped over was when landing on uneven ground. Although at one time I used to almost exclusively ground land my TH, greater experience now makes it so that I almost exclusively hand catch.
Not completely the same I know, Hardware maintenance would probably be inspection, like your preflight checklist. I always find it amusing with engineers when inspecting lifts etc, the lift company sends an engineer to service the lift, your just ticking a list that you've checked functions, not servicing in a true meaning. I did find amusing a door company man, " I've finished servicing your doors, checked functions and wiped with a rag, really I pay £150 + VAT for that!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430