Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can you Trust your Typhoon H

Drinking the wrong kinda Beer

Miller High Life is the “Champagne of Beers”.....so......it’s my personal favorite.....

I can’t get my all time favorite that I got to drink the 4 years I lived in Germany....Schwaben Brau Das Echte Marzen.... man I miss that beer. It was Heaven in a bottle. I could probably track down a supplier but I bet it’d cost $$$.

I pulled the number out of my backside but I’m certain it’s pretty close to on the money.

Those that have flown many different types of aircraft over a ling period of time learn that each type of aircraft have their own specific idiosyncrasies based upon their general design, thrust angles, wing loading, center of gravity, and power to weight ratio.

The ST-16 is not terribly sensitive, although people with heavy thumbs might think so. The H itself does not need to be overly stable in hover as the drift that does occur is relatively slow. People with talent have the ability to deal with it, both in their speed of response and the level of response.

I’m not trying to insult anybody, just state facts; without an autopilot and GPS a very large percentage of multirotor fliers could not fly. They are being carried by a stabilization system. Without GPS they could not fly a straight line from one end to the other. Lacking GPS they prolly can’t keep the aircraft hovering within a 20’ circle if any wind is blowing. Some people think they are hard to fly but the truth is they are designed to make it possible for the most ham handed and inexperienced to fly them.

Think I’m full of it? No problem. Ask Ty for his opinion of flight skills with most multirotor pilots. Personally, I can fly any fixed wing aircraft or multirotor and not crash. So can Ty, and Phaedrus. We, and others like us, share common ground in having a considerable amount of RC experience flying much more difficult to control aircraft than consumer drones. Multirotors, specifically consumer drones, are the easiest to fly and most boring aircraft you can get your hands on.

If you want to know how good you are, turn off the GPS and Smart mode and fly two 50’-75’ long figure 8’s in opposite directions, fly back to the take off point, rotate the aircraft 180* and repeat the two figure 8’s backwards. Maintaining reversed orientation, fly back to the take off point and execute a spot landing “tail in” on a 2’ square mat. For each figure 8 maintain the front and back of the aircraft in line with the intended flight path.

Hopefully you have a 5-8mph wind to “help you out” like I did during my flight test for a line inspection job, using several different aircraft I had never flown before that day.

I know how good I am and stand by my original argument that the position hold is stronger than it needs to be. The only model that has tipped over on me in the attached photo is the H.

20190916_182042.jpg

Going back to the original tip over post there’s one thing people seem to be missing. If the H was drifting to the left, why did the operator elect to set it down before stopping the drift?

Multirotors don’t have wheels so they can’t “roll on” to a landing. The landing should have been aborted with a short climb to stop the drift before making another attempt.

From the operators own description the tip over was caused by pilot error by electing to command an aircraft demonstrating lateral drift to touch down.

The next questions regarding why there was drift have been neither asked or answered. Was the GPS turned off? Was Cruise Control engaged? Were there enough satellites in view for GPS to provide a stable hover? Was the wind blowing? Was the neck strap partially deflecting the roll stick? Had the system been allowed to sit for some time, causing a need for new compass and accelerometer calibrations? Had the sticks ever been cleaned? Did the pilot try inputting opposite control to offset the drift? Was the aircraft in Smart mode and up against the Smart Circle? Did the pilot have the situational awareness necessary to consider any of the above prior to putting the aircraft on the ground?

For the helicopter pilots out there; Would you allow your helicopter to land while it was still moving sideways? You know that if you did you would be buying at minimum a new set of blades.

Last edited:
Perhaps the original poster is attempting to describe ground effect. All VTOL aircraft are affected by the cushion of air that forms when hovering close to the ground. Hovering the H in ground effect with the GPS on is not trivial, which is why many suggest to be assertive when attempting a vertical descent touchdown. Approaching the touchdown with a gentle flare into the wind is probably the best suggestion I can give. One thing I can tell you in no uncertain terms is that bailing out of a bad touchdown with a collective pitch helicopter is instantaneous, any stick movement during a bad touchdown with the H appears to be just a suggestion.

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, except it sent my Typhoon H straight into a steel light pole about 40 feet off the ground. Yuneec support so far has been AWFUL. Next time I'm buying from some other vendor.

Did you accidently have in Smart Mode when it came Down ?

RG,

Just a thought but you might consider going into the OP’s profile to find a bunch of old posts and read through them to develop a “feel” for things. If you do I think it might impact some perceptions.

That's Great
Have you ever had any kind of mishaps at all ?
Keith

I had one freakish landing incident where it wanted to hop and almost tip, which as far as I can tell was related to a bad cell in a Power 4 battery. It hasn't repeated, I either land manually or let RTH land it depending on where I am. I also have 3 Typhoon 4Ks, the only incidents I've had with them is when I flew into the tips of a stand of willows on a golf course, and a stand of willows on a prairie area. I would like to blame Yuneec and the drone for those, but I can't get drunk enough to formulate an argument why it would be.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Going back to the original tip over post there’s one thing people seem to be missing. If the H was drifting to the left, why did the operator elect to set it down before stopping the drift?

Multirotors don’t have wheels so they can’t “roll on” to a landing. The landing should have been aborted with a short climb to stop the drift before making another attempt.

From the operators own description the tip over was caused by pilot error by electing to command an aircraft demonstrating lateral drift to touch down.

The next questions regarding why there was drift have been neither asked or answered. Was the GPS turned off? Was Cruise Control engaged? Were there enough satellites in view for GPS to provide a stable hover? Was the wind blowing? Was the neck strap partially deflecting the roll stick? Had the system been allowed to sit for some time, causing a need for new compass and accelerometer calibrations? Had the sticks ever been cleaned? Did the pilot try inputting opposite control to offset the drift? Was the aircraft in Smart mode and up against the Smart Circle? Did the pilot have the situational awareness necessary to consider any of the above prior to putting the aircraft on the ground?

For the helicopter pilots out there; Would you allow your helicopter to land while it was still moving sideways? You know that if you did you would be buying at minimum a new set of blades.

The original drift was mine. Keith
Even today I had the drift.
Same crap got it down
Tipped and props digging into the grass.
Oh well ,see what tomorrow brings or takes away.
Keith Kuhn

The original drift was mine. Keith
Even today I had the drift.
Same crap got it down
Tipped and props digging into the grass.
Oh well ,see what tomorrow brings or takes away.
Keith Kuhn

Keith.

Just curious... are you able to counteract the drift by applying control inputs opposite of the drift?

If not enough to keep it completely still, at least enough to somewhat stabilize the horizontal movement?

I’m trying to gauge the severity of the drift you are experiencing, and how much of that drift you are able to manually compensate.

Jeff

Last edited:
Keith.

Just curious... are you able to counteract the drift by applying control inputs opposite of the drift?

If not enough to keep it completely still, at least enough to somewhat stabilize the horizontal movement?

I’m trying to gauge the severity of the drift you are experiencing, and how much of that drift you are able to manually compensate.

Jeff

Yes using both sticks I can correct the drift. It seems
Though once I get it on the ground it still fights me and tips over.
This is an intermittent
Problem. If I leave it in RTH it lands fine.
The prob seems to occure
When I take it out of RTH
Putting into angle mode and attempt to land.
But like I say this does not happen all the time.
I hope my explanation is clear.
Keith

That left joystick has to be accurately held down otherwise the motors won't change their tone, it's very easy to not to get it in the correct position and the motors will keep spinning and the copter becomes unstable.

That left joystick has to be accurately held down otherwise the motors won't change their tone, it's very easy to not to get it in the correct position and the motors will keep spinning and the copter becomes unstable.

Believe me I understand what you are saying
Keith
I know these Drones are
Not perfect.
Usually when I bring it back in RTH, it usually wants lands 3 to 10 feet from where it was launched. So this is why I flip it into angle mode to land at the proper location. But at times a drift will occure.
Keith

I sure have cleaned the sticks.
Recalibrated, plus many other things to keep my H
Flying
Keith

Have you used the hardware monitor to observe the response to stick movement? I did and the hardware monitor revealed erratic response when the sticks were moved from center along with channel values that did not return to zero when the sticks were centered.

I considered attempting to clean the gimbal potentiometers through the back cover. However, I was curious and decided to remove the TX back cover. What I found were gimbal potentiometers that were not securely mounted and poorly routed wires that were causing the loose potentiometers to rock back and forth. I secured the potentiometers with a dab of hot melt glue and positioned the wires to not touch anything when the sticks were moved.

I used the hardware monitor once again before attaching the back cover to test the result. The glitchy response was gone when stirring the sticks and the channel values returned to zero when the sticks were centered.

I did this several months ago and the problem has not returned. However, I still land with the GPS off because it gives me peace of mind. Hope this helps.

Have you used the hardware monitor to observe the response to stick movement? I did and the hardware monitor revealed erratic response when the sticks were moved from center along with channel values that did not return to zero when the sticks were centered.

I considered attempting to clean the gimbal potentiometers through the back cover. However, I was curious and decided to remove the TX back cover. What I found were gimbal potentiometers that were not securely mounted and poorly routed wires that were causing the loose potentiometers to rock back and forth. I secured the potentiometers with a dab of hot melt glue and positioned the wires to not touch anything when the sticks were moved.

I used the hardware monitor once again before attaching the back cover to test the result. The glitchy response was gone when stirring the sticks and the channel values returned to zero when the sticks were centered.

I did this several months ago and the problem has not returned. However, I still land with the GPS off because it gives me peace of mind. Hope this helps.

I am glad you mentioned the hot glue trick .
I too watched that video video, with the loose Pot's
Mine was also loose 8 no
ago. I glued it and it is still
holding strong. Thanks
Glad you know about that as well.
Keith

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member