Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Carbon fiber props

Reaction score
Are there any carbon fiber props out for the typhoon H . And is there any benefit

Hi Dustoff, I would not use carbon probs, they maybe a little quiter and may give more stable flight BUT the downside is if you hit a tree och something like that you might ruin the motor and/or break the arm itself. Or even cut your fingers.. by this razor sharp high speed carbon probs. I prefer to chose the less expensive way to break a plastic prop and save the rest.

some people swear by CF saying that their aircraft is more responsive to control and are quieter. Some people even claim that their time in the air on an individual battery is increased!

Maybe so.

But in the event of a mishap, as @Photo rightly points out, they are less likely to break thus transferring those forces onto the motor or arm.

IMHO I would always stick to the Yuneec originals. Better to break a prop than something else.

Are there other props than Carbon Fiber available? I would like to get three blade props for my bird.

Efficiency, stability, enhanced maneuverability and possible extended flight time.

You won’t gain efficiency from a three blade prop. The system does not have the excess power available to be effective in that regard. The most you could hope for is less noise, which would be obtained at a loss of thrust performance. The H is pretty quiet for it’s size fitted with stock props.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I bought a set of Aeronaut carbon props for a Chroma. End result had any noise difference only measurable using a dB meter in an otherwise dead silent room and perhaps slightly more thrust control in a fast descent. The only major benefit was to the manufacturer and seller as they realized a monetary gain from the sale.

With multirotors using props with square tips you won’t gain much of anything by changing brands or adding blades. Certainly no improvement in noise generation as a square tipped blade can’t be made quiet.

Thunder, why not stick to original props developed and manufactured by Yuneec soley for the H? Why do you need three?
Why not? I am a Amateur Radio operator and experimentation is a normal part of the process. If more blades would make no difference why do we see private boats with 4 and 5 blades on the props? A lot of the modern Submarines have seven blades shaped like a scimitar sword. There has to be a positive effect otherwise they would not be using three balded props on the B-17 bombers. Why is it when some body comes up with an idea certain people who seem to march around in lock step start getting negative attitudes?
I also remember some one giving me a lot of flak over using the android telephone in a wireless set up for the entertainment of my granddaughters saying it could not be done. Well it does work.
th
The new Props for the C-130 should prove the point.

Last edited:
I understand the desire to mod things and buy accessories. I'm in that category as well. I

MHO buy a prop balancer first and use that to make sure you're getting the most out of your Yuneec props.
I have one of the types that is magnetically suspended that I bought for my RC Boats.

And how do you know that? Where are the evidences?
Do you have proof that there is no possible gain? A lot of small private aircraft have three bladed props.
The new props for the venerable C-130 which is one of the best in the world now has props that look like this.
th

Last edited:
You might want to get educated about how and why three blade props came about, and the specific circumstances allow them to be beneficial. You’re C-130 reference was comical in its ignorance. Had the 130 not been upgraded with much more powerful engines, and a need for less noise been of little concern they would all still have 4 blade paddles.

You might try being a little less condescending. It has been discussed on another website in which the "H" was flown with different props and documented lowered temperatures of the motors and increased flight time.

Not concerned over noise , I think the bird sounds mean , my dji p3 was a lot nosier . Right now I am just getting spares together . Extra arms , motors , landing gear etc . You know just in case , being out in the field and have something break at least I can repair it with out a lot of down time.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Not concerned over noise , I think the bird sounds mean , my dji p3 was a lot nosier . Right now I am just getting spares together . Extra arms , motors , landing gear etc . You know just in case , being out in the field and have something break at least I can repair it with out a lot of down time.
Nor would it be bad to have other sources for the props.

There has to be a positive effect otherwise they would not be using three balded props on the B-17 bombers. Why is it when some body comes up with an idea certain people who seem to march around in lock step start getting negative attitudes?

There may be a reason why things are chosen and they may have a positive effect but more likely it was chosen to address a very specific need which may not fit your use case.

I don’t think anyone here is ganging up on you. Some of the members here have had long careers in aeronautics and know what they’re talking about. They might just be willing to educate you on why some things work and others don’t or the reason why things are chosen in certain circumstances.

FWIW I got my first amateur radio license in 1963. I experimented a lot especially in college and in the Navy with radio tech. After that I spent my career in computers.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Probably the reason two blades vs three was cost. Since you know the ham radio mentality you know that 99% of all radios get modified to some degree. I have worked in electronics in the manufacturing all of my career and I can tell you a lot of times they will take short cuts to save a penny per assembly. Not every thing has been built to its best level or capacity.

During the early days of aviation engines were relatively weak so a short two blade prop was enough to handle the available power. As early engine development progressed props were changed from wood to metal to better deal with combustion pulses. During WWII engine development increased rapidly, creating engines with enormous levels of power. To use a two blade prop required the landing gear be extended to lengths that were not suitable for the stresses that would be generated, and cause aircraft AoA to increase to the point there was not enough elevator authority to allow a plane to take off, and safely land. The same situation became applicable to Reno Unlimited air racers as they further increased engine output, causing them to adapt wide, 4 blade C-130 props to make effective use of the power without being so long they hit the ground. For a little more propeller development history look up the development of the F4U Corsair and learn why it had “gull” wings.

As for being condescending, I most certainly am not. Your reference to the C-130 prop upgrade was amusing. Not just for those that have been involved with aviation most of their lives, but also for those that have flown in those 130’s and spent plenty of time in conversion with the crews.

For you it’s all guesswork and grabbing at straws hoping for minimal gains to offset the money spent. Others have real life experience and know better. Many times I have switched from a two blade to a three blade prop in aero modeling endeavors. Without fail there was a performance loss in one or more aspects in propulsion function. And all that was when using engines with considerable levels of excess thrust, something a Typhoon H has none of. The study of propellers to obtain more efficiency, thrust, and noise reduction has been a major focus in the UAV industry as those platforms absolutely have to be stealthy and extended mission duration is a very big deal for long duration. With the exception of a few high altitude models they’ve retained two blade props, most of custom design.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss