Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Circle of Death Simple Solution?

Reaction score
I'm soon to get my hands on a H and so many here have accidentally switched into the safe mode on startup resulting in the H getting out of the area of the operator, it's a mistake at some point I am likely to make before or during a take off.

When the operator is within the circle of death - instead of allowing the H to take off - there should be a warning on the controller to say the two are too close to each other...and for the operator to move outside of this circle and importantly NOT allow a takeoff until the operator moves.
This 26ft of what ever it is should also be adjustable and allow the operator to decide min and max distances.

Today it's walls and trees it fly's on its into. Tomorrow it will be something of more consequence.

By the way, has anyone come across changeable lenses for this camera similar to how you can change the lens on a go pro?

The fact is, if you don't understand what you are flying then don't fly it. If you think there is a chance you might start in Smart Mode, then always launch when you are 30' away. In fact, I never stand close when I launch. Who knows what might go wrong? The pilot is in control of the aircraft and he should be able to control it and know the craft's capabilities and limitations. Should also do pre-flight checks which includes checking switch positions and launching from an area free of obstructions or people.

Reactions: Basicbill
The fact is, if you don't understand what you are flying then don't fly it. If you think there is a chance you might start in Smart Mode, then always launch when you are 30' away. In fact, I never stand close when I launch. Who knows what might go wrong? The pilot is in control of the aircraft and he should be able to control it and know the craft's capabilities and limitations. Should also do pre-flight checks which includes checking switch positions and launching from an area free of obstructions or people.

It's not a question of not understanding what I am flying or not. It's crazy to have a mode that will end up with the heli shooting it's self off on it own if the operator is not 26ft from it. Should we pace out 26ft or use a measuring tape each time just to be sure, or maybe just go 50ft out to be sure it won't fly it's self into a wall or something more serious??
You miss my simple solution....Make it not possible to take off when it is in the mode to fly it's self away out of control.
So simple, I'm sure many who have accidentally tipped the switch into smart mode are not considering themselves inexperienced, once that switch is flipped you can't just flip it back....by all accounts the H does not hang around to give any reflex time.
It's a design flaw, and I guess the limiting factor is that the manuals would have to be rewritten to make a change. But a change should be made...how crazy to programme an uncontrollable and dangerous flight manoeuvre instead of simply waring on the controller that it is too close for a take off.

Reactions: VonRumaberg
I've heard lots of talk about this but if I take off in safe mode when I am close to the bird, it just goes straight up as usual. It wont fly any closer to me but it does NOT shoot off uncontrollably.

I've heard lots of talk about this but if I take off in safe mode when I am close to the bird, it just goes straight up as usual. It wont fly any closer to me but it does NOT shoot off uncontrollably.
And this is a good point that needs clarifying. I have always avoided taking off in smart mode but fairly certain I did on one occasion and it did just this. Just went straight up and would only go away from me until outside of the circle. It is raining outside otherwise I would go and try this out.

I have been so careful to keep it in angle mode with takeoffs and landings I wonder if Yuneec it was changed the 26' safe circle
operation with the latest firmware.
Next time I'm in a large area I am going to test the smart mode's operation more thoroughly.

It happened to me weekend before last at an outdoor family wedding. I was forced to move my takeoff location at the last minute and ended up launching in safe mode while standing inside the death circle. Inexperience was the main issue that led to the crash into a nearby tree. I should have climbed altitude to avoid the crash but too perplexed with a complete lack of directional control to realize that in time. Broke the camera off from the base of the body where the contact shoe slides into place. One prop broken...the rest of the drone seems in good shape. Haven't even bothered to take it out of the case yet. I'll see if Yuneec offers a replacement part for the contact shoe and order a spare set of props to get it flying again.

It happened to me weekend before last at an outdoor family wedding. I was forced to move my takeoff location at the last minute and ended up launching in safe mode while standing inside the death circle. Inexperience was the main issue that led to the crash into a nearby tree. I should have climbed altitude to avoid the crash but too perplexed with a complete lack of directional control to realize that in time. Broke the camera off from the base of the body where the contact shoe slides into place. One prop broken...the rest of the drone seems in good shape. Haven't even bothered to take it out of the case yet. I'll see if Yuneec offers a replacement part for the contact shoe and order a spare set of props to get it flying again.
I know it's after the event, but why didn't you use angle mode to take off?

I know it's after the event, but why didn't you use angle mode to take off?
I had practiced the planned route out over the river where the bride was to arrive by raft boat numerous times using safe mode. There were lots of trees around. I wanted the ease of safe mode so I could concentrate on pan and tilt camera movements to capture her approach and landing on shore. It all worked well until I was asked to move to another launch spot at literally the last minute. We had practiced the entire routine the day before at the rehearsal and no one thought to say my location was a problem until the wedding procession began. Oh well....live and learn.

It was on of the first things I got in my head years ago with the phantom, when ever in trouble...go up...always be ready to move up and away from danger.
I tried this today, the safe mode take off standing close to the H, I wrote the above first post before I had one, my experience was that I landed with the props spinning shut down the motors but not the bird, and took off again, it did not shoot away....it would only not fly closer to me...maybe there is a difference from a first boot up or not but I have since read somewhere else that it is not flying away, only moving up...I have also read of other getting this part cheaply and quickly so don't fret..

Reactions: Simspeed
Little hard to see but these are the only broken parts from my crash noted above. The shoe plate broke one of the slide rails and of course a broken prop. Contacted Yuneec today and ordered replacement parts. Plate cost $5 and went ahead and order a complete set of A/B props for $40. Also ordered an extra battery while I had them on the line. Total bill was $184.96. Said they'd ship everything out today. Good service.....

Reactions: banned user

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz