Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass calibr. or not?

Reaction score
Hi, I know it doesn't hurt to perform compass calibration often - BUT - if the H flies rock steady even after havn't been in the air for 5-6 month and moved 150km North/South...would you then calibrate the compass?

Hi, I know it doesn't hurt to perform compass calibration often - BUT - if the H flies rock steady even after havn't been in the air for 5-6 month and moved 150km North/South...would you then calibrate the compass?
I don't calibrate the compass unless I see a problem or get a consistent warning.

This may sound crazy, or lucky - I have never updated my H - AND, I have only calibrated the compass once which; was right after I bought it - it has been rock solid for a year and almost four months now. I will say that all of my flying has been within about 30 miles. Like Steve, if I ever were to get a warning or suspect a problem I would recalibrate.

This may sound crazy, or lucky - I have never updated my H - AND, I have only calibrated the compass once which; was right after I bought it - it has been rock solid for a year and almost four months now. I will say that all of my flying has been within about 30 miles. Like Steve, if I ever were to get a warning or suspect a problem I would recalibrate.
Steve and Ty, your answers was just what I wanted to hear... :)

Reactions: Steve Carr
If you are not relocating, it would not hurt, but I'd say not required if no issues present themselves... keep an eye out for that magnetic pole flip... o_O

Unless I’m doing a long distance travel I don’t mess with anything that’s working well.

The aircraft will tell you what it needs either with a pop up message or by displaying some level of instability in flight. A wise person will launch into a hover and check control responses before heading off into the wild blue yonder. That hover is your opportunity to observe the state of the system.

Last edited:
Unless I’m doing a long distance travel I don’t mess with anything that’s working well.

The aircraft will tell you what it needs either with a pop up message or by displaying some level of instability in flight. A wise person will launch into a hover and check control responses before heading off into the wild blue yonder. That hover is your opportunity to observe the state of the system.
True, PatR. I always start a flight to hover at 4-5m for 10sec and perform two "360" turns (clockwise /aniticlockwise) to check stability before I go ahead.

Hmm. I've read the other responses in this thread and they are fair comment. However, IMHO, if my aircraft hadn't been flown for 5 or 6 months I think I would calibrate the compass. After all, it only takes a minute to do. Relocating North/South by 150Km on the other hand will not necessitate a compass calibration...only a East/West relocation will necessitate a compass calibration.

Many people say that compass calibration done often isn't a bad thing. Maybe so, but doing them too often could allow in a bad calibration and do more harm than good. Like I say, if it were me, then a calibration after 5 or 6 months on the ground is good. Every flight then no.

Hmm. I've read the other responses in this thread and they are fair comment. However, IMHO, if my aircraft hadn't been flown for 5 or 6 months I think I would calibrate the compass. After all, it only takes a minute to do. Relocating North/South by 150Km on the other hand will not necessitate a compass calibration...only a East/West relocation will necessitate a compass calibration.

Many people say that compass calibration done often isn't a bad thing. Maybe so, but doing them too often could allow in a bad calibration and do more harm than good. Like I say, if it were me, then a calibration after 5 or 6 months on the ground is good. Every flight then no.
Thanx Flush Vision! Agree!

You should be aware of a bad calibration of the compass after trying to do it. The H should err out. Otherwise it’s working.

I have one location where I fly where it’s not unusual to see brief compass warnings on the ST16.

I know a LOT more about the GPS module because documentation is readily available. I’ve not seen anything on the compass so it’s accuracy and reliability are pretty much folklore in some ways.

As one that had let a pair of H’s sit unused for close to 8 months with no ill effect on the compass for either one the desire to re-calibrate may be one more for a sense of “feel good” than one of necessity. Of course performing a new calibration will certainly assure it is correct if it’s done properly but I don’t know the effort is one that should be mandatory.

I can understand establishing a mandatory calibration cycle for commercial ops but for recreational stuff, not so much.

As one that had let a pair of H’s sit unused for close to 8 months with no ill effect on the compass for either one the desire to re-calibrate may be one more for a sense of “feel good” than one of necessity. Of course performing a new calibration will certainly assure it is correct if it’s done properly but I don’t know the effort is one that should be mandatory.

I can understand establishing a mandatory calibration cycle for commercial ops but for recreational stuff, not so much.
Yes, I agree. If you know that the aircraft hasn't come under the influence of a magnetic field during the six month period then it should perform just as well as the time when it was laid up and don't calibrate the compass unless it behaves strangely or the controller says to calibrate. So a factor in the decision to calibrate after a long period on the ground would be how it has been stored during that period I would think?

I’m probably an overly cautious outlier. I do travel east and west 2-300 hundred miles a few times each year and for me the calibration is just cheap insurance.

Ever since having a flyaway that put one of my H 50’ up a tree I’ve become more cautious. Yes, I went through all the telemetry files with Steve on that one.

Had one like that with my first one in December 2016. Yuneec handled repairs with the usual lack of causal explanation. No issues with either one since then.

I replaced the GPS module. After seeing the GPS go 0 in the telemetry I wasn’t willing to trust it again.

The H+ is supposed to have a better GPS module.

Last edited:
After having a few toiletbowls (one of them rather violent) i calibrate it now quite often. Usually between series of flights when it has been sitting idle for a week or so. I don't know how much it helps, but both of those incidents happened with "good" calibrations that i intended on "keeping". There wasn't also much travel involved. But that's just personal experience and not something i actually suggest on doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots